MTV Theme Music from 1981

Thread: MTV Theme Music from 1981

Tags: None
  1. Jstine30 said:

Default MTV Theme Music from 1981

Is there anyone who is familiar with the original MTV theme music from the early 80's (a driving guitar riff that played while the MTV logo flashed on the flag in front of the astronaut)? I heard a song the other day that featured virtually the same guitar riff. Anyone have a clue what the title/group of this song might be? Unfortunately I can't recall any of the lyrics

F A B Scott said:

Do you mean it sounds like this?

http://www.awn.com/mag/issue2.10/2.10clips/mtv_moon.mov

If so, hopefully someone will recognize your one from it.

No bells ringing here; though it does start off like the Kinks - All Day and All of the Night. [I realise that is far too old though - even older than the MTV theme]

atmaestro said:

I will echo F A B Scott's vote that the old MTV theme was a sample of "Day and All of the Night" by The Kinks.
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

4. Jstine30 said:

Default That's the riff.

Yes, that's the riff. Yes it does sound similar to All Day and All of the Night only with more of an edge.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep searching and let you know if I find it.

Quote Originally Posted by F A B Scott View Post
    Do you mean it sounds like this?

http://www.awn.com/mag/issue2.10/2.10clips/mtv_moon.mov

If so, hopefully someone will recognize your one from it.

No bells ringing here; though it does start off like the Kinks - All Day and All of the Night. [I realise that is far too old though - even older than the MTV theme]

5. Jstine30 said:

Yes, that's the riff and it does sound similar to All Day and All of the Night only with more of an edge. From the sound of it, I'm think it's more 80's new wave.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep searching and let you know if I find it.