Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

wolver99 said:

Hi again, wondering about the translation of some "everyday Romanian" chat room talk that is hard for me to understand even though I can find some of the words in the dictionary...others I'm not sure if they are correctly spelled, maybe...and I think a couple people were flirting so I hope there's nothing too racy going on but I can't really tell.

I want to be able to understand these kinds of conversational usages so that I can reply to them as well as use them in my own exchanges in Ro. It is a bit daunting how quickly friendly talk breaks down because real conversation employs so many nuances (and even misspellings, lol) not covered in textbooks.

1) si de ce ai intrat?

2) o sa ma loghez si aici acum...vroiam sa vad ce mai faci ca pe mess ai disparut

3) nu mai am id ala....am uitat par...pe bune...am schimbat-o si dupa 2 ore nu o mai stiam (I can't find any entry for 'stiam,' is this an unusual form of a common pair of words typed together, possibly? And is 'ala' the word for 'that'? But then what is 'id'?)

3a) si cum mai dau de tine

4) bara jos (does this mean 'underscore'?)

As usual, thanks in advance.

2. dya said:

OK, let's clear this fog

1) si de ce ai intrat?--And why did you come in/ and why did you enter? (probably in the chat room..)

2) o sa ma loghez si aici acum...vroiam sa vad ce mai faci ca pe mess ai disparut
    I'll log in here too, now...I wanted to see how you're doing because you dissapeared from the mess (messenger)

3) nu mai am id ala....am uitat par...pe bune...am schimbat-o si dupa 2 ore nu o mai stiam (I can't find any entry for 'stiam,' is this an unusual form of a common pair of words typed together, possibly? And is 'ala' the word for 'that'? But then what is 'id'?)
    I don't have that ID anymore...I forgot the password..really...I changed it and after two hours I didn't know it anymore.

par is probably a "shortcut" from parolă--password. We don't use par in everyday speech, it's probably just a way of writing more quickly in a chat room.

știam comes from the verb a ști and it is another past tense we have. We haven't introduced it yet here in the forum. It's called imperfect and most of the times it can be translated with a past tense continuous form in english. In this case, because the verb "to know" is not normally used in past tense continous form I translated it with past tense simple.

Also our imperfect can be translated with "I used to+ verb" construction

Munceam mult la firma aia-- I was working a lot at that firm OR I used to work a lot at that firm( to denote the quatity of work I was doing when employed there)

aia(fem) & ăla(masc) are the popular forms for aceea(fem) acela(masc) --THAT

asta(fem) & ăsta(masc) are the popular forms for aceasta(fem) acesta(masc)---THIS

Plural:
    astea(fem) & ăștia(masc) ---- acestea(fem) & aceștia(masc) ---THESE

alea(fem) & ăia (masc)---acelea(fem) & aceia(masc) ---THOSE

These forms are NON-LITERAR forms, children are taught to say acesta not ăsta but of course everybody uses these forms, if not for other reason then because they are shorter!

ID is the nickname you use in the chat room/messenger/etc.

3a) si cum mai dau de tine
    And how can I reach/find you--si cum dau de tine
    using mai the nuance changes into "and now, (that things have changed) how can I reach you"

4) bara jos (does this mean 'underscore'?)
    Being taken out of the context I can only translate these two words as they are.
    bară--bar
    jos-down

It probably refers to the toolbar on the computer. The one that is down the page, at the bottom, probably the bar with the "start" button, the date, etc.

you translated it considering bara as a verb. It is indeed the infinitive "a bara" which doesn't mean to underscore(that's a sublinia) but it means to bar/close/stop.

Katina said:

Can someone please tell me what the word "care" means and how is it different from the word "care-i", do they mean the same thing? and also "rau" what does that mean? thanks

mister Xazos said:

Quote Originally Posted by Katina View Post
    Can someone please tell me what the word "care" means and how is it different from the word "care-i", do they mean the same thing? and also "rau" what does that mean? thanks

Katina,

"care" means "which" or "who" depends on context. And "care-i" is formed from "care" and "-i" where the last one is the short form from "îi" derivated from "este", slang I may say.
    "rău" means "bad" "râu" means "river". I tell you this because we, Romanians don't use the diacritics in spelling. (diacritics are ă,î,ş,ţ,â) and we understand the words without to write them liek that (since we're Romanians...) Look in the text and choose between those forms. I guess it's bad, my guess...

Have a nice day.

Igrec.
    Πάρε φιλιά, πάρε καρδιά και μη νοιαστείς για μένα.
    Πάρε ό,τι ζει κι άσε με εκεί
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

5. dya said:

care means which/that

care-i is actually the short form from care este= which/that is

rău= bad

râu= river

I didn't know what you meant by rau

6. dya said:

LOL! LOL! LOL! Igrec, why are you hidden and why are we writing the same thing at the same time? LOL!

mister Xazos said:

Since the others called me "A GOD" I must be everywhere, no ? Haha ! Citate din Luke, prietenul meu, ori poate al tuturor .
    Incredible minds think the same. Best answer .

Ce faci ? Cum merge cu viaţa ? Gînduri pentru vacanţă cumva ? Măi, eu nu ştiu ce mi-ai dorit tu ştiind de sentimentele mele faţă de Bucureşti, dar să ştii că m-am legat acum strîns de cineva de acolo. Deci... Off ! Grea mai este distanţa asta !

Salutari .

Igrec
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

Katina said:

Quote Originally Posted by igrec View Post
    Katina,

"care" means "which" or "who" depends on context. And "care-i" is formed from "care" and "-i" where the last one is the short form from "îi" derivated from "este", slang I may say.
    "rău" means "bad" "râu" means "river". I tell you this because we, Romanians don't use the diacritics in spelling. (diacritics are ă,î,ş,ţ,â) and we understand the words without to write them liek that (since we're Romanians...) Look in the text and choose between those forms. I guess it's bad, my guess...

Have a nice day.

Igrec.
    this is the text "rau" is in
    "Nu e sansa cu pareri de rau" it means bad?

mister Xazos said:

Yes. It means bad.
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

10. dya said:

Incredible minds think the same. Best answer .
    Incredible minds usually need good shrinks!! LOL! Not the case for us, though!

Ce faci ? Cum merge cu viaţa ? Gînduri pentru vacanţă cumva ? Măi, eu nu ştiu ce mi-ai dorit tu ştiind de sentimentele mele faţă de Bucureşti, dar să ştii că m-am legat acum strîns de cineva de acolo. Deci... Off ! Grea mai este distanţa asta !

Salutari .
    Gânduri de vacanță există întotdeaua. Dar până la vacanța propriu-zisă mai e așa de muuuuult!!!!!

Iar eu personal să știi că nu ți-am urat nimic "de bine" în legătură cu Bucureștiul, dar știi tu vorba aia...de ce ți-e frică de-aia nu scapi!!

Noapte bună

mister Xazos said:

Hmmm... Era de bine dragă Dya ceea ce îţi ziceam eu în legătură cu Bucureştiul... Nu-i din vina mea, dacă ar fi să zicem aşa... Fluturii... Acum înţelegi dumneata ?
    Lasă, că nu mai este nimic rău acum.
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

12. emyiakab said:

Dya, congratulations, yr explanations are really amazing, I am a teacher, a Ro teacher and I m not sure I could have explained all so good and clear!!!!
    But, I ll try help u from time to time, though u don t need it!but if so many people want to learn our language, please ask me anything, I m more than willing to help!
    pupici (kisses)

13. dya said:

Igrec, inteleg, mama, inteleg cum e cu fluturii!! Mai stiu si conceptul de "insectar" la nevoie!! LOL!

14. dya said:

Emi, thank you, I'm in the same branch so I'm used to explanations Join us whenever you have the time

( Nu predau romana dar tot Litere am facut!)

gossip-girl said:

God, haven't been here for such a long time... Ce faceti, lume? I'm so sad that I haven't had any chance to look into romanian lately... Now I should sit down and make up for the lost time

Best greets from (not so very) dilligent student

16. emyiakab said:

Dya, sa stii k m-am gandit eu k explicatiile tale sunt suspesct de bune pt un amator, fie el si infocat.....ce ai terminat?eu, stii deja, rom-engl.Si ce lucrezi?uai, ce as mai vrea si eu sa plec din sistem, sa gasesc un alt job....

17. dya said:

Tot rom-engl, dar eu-s pe engleza. Deocamdata nu vreau sa plec din sistem ca-mi place ce fac. Mai incolo, cand si daca mi-o disparea entuziasmul.... mai vedem

18. emyiakab said:

wow, trebuie sa fii in primii 3 ani de vrei sa stai in sistem!
    da e bine, numai sa fii un pic mai generoasa cu exemplele, in rest e ok, nu stiu cum sa ti multumesc!

mister Xazos said:

Good morning girls (E dimineata... In alta viata...)
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

20. dya said:

Good morning to you too Everything ok? Ce fac fluturasii? Zboara, zboara?

Emi: cu placere