Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

mister Xazos said:

Fluturasii ii scriu poezii din Catullus si ii vorbesc in greceste. Iar fluturasilor li se vorbeste in germana (nici unul nu stim limbile) Insa fluturasii sunt fericiti... (desi sunt speriati putin, ca pe 1 se dau subiectele la Bac)

Fluturasii tai ce fac ?
    Πάρε φιλιά, πάρε καρδιά και μη νοιαστείς για μένα.
    Πάρε ό,τι ζει κι άσε με εκεί
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

2. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by igrec View Post
    Fluturasii ii scriu poezii din Catullus si ii vorbesc in greceste. Iar fluturasilor li se vorbeste in germana (nici unul nu stim limbile) Insa fluturasii sunt fericiti... (desi sunt speriati putin, ca pe 1 se dau subiectele la Bac)
    Bai, copii, voi n-ati intels nimic din treaba asta!!! Catullus, greceste, germana...!!!! Ma mama, ce faceti voi acolo?! LOL!

Fluturasii tai ce fac ?
    Flutursaul meu tocmai s-a trezit si ma pregatesc sa-l tarasc la niste neplacute cumparaturi!!!

mister Xazos said:

Ne iubim ! Facem dragoste cu marea si vintul si nisipul !

Ouch, du-l la departamentul de lenjerie intima nu va mai fi neplacut Mie cel putin imi place sa fac cumparaturi
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

4. willdawg840 said:

So besides the special characters, is everything else similar to English pronunciations? Like 'c' for example.. is it ALWAYS like in the word: 'class','copy', etc.? Or like 'ch' in 'cheese'.. i know it's only one letter, but hey.. lol.

5. dya said:

ok

c is always like in class and copy.

But there are four groups invoving the letter c and they are as follows:

ci --this is to be read lihe CHE from CHEes
    e.g.(rom) cine, cinema, cinci

chi ---this is to be read as KI from KIdding
    e.g. (rom) chiar, chin,

ce--to be read like..... I can't find any word right now!!! But look at what I wrote for CHI and instead of I you prounounce E in that group.
    e.g. (rom)--ceva, ceapa

che--to be read like CHE in CHEmistry
    e.g.(rom) chem, cheie

6. dya said:

Ne iubim ! Facem dragoste cu marea si vintul si nisipul !
    Marea, vantul si nisipul reprezinta elemente de decor!!!Nu faci dragoste cu ele!! N-ati inteles nimic!! LOL!

Ouch, du-l la departamentul de lenjerie intima nu va mai fi neplacut Mie cel putin imi place sa fac cumparaturi
    Ne-am si intors pana sa vad mesajul! A fost ca la injectie: scurt si dureros dar trece repede!!! LOL!

P.S. Ma bucur sa te vad asa plin de voie buna

mister Xazos said:

Da, da, Multumesc Dya ! Sunt... Foarte ! (na, ca e din Bucale, ma vindeca de negativism , LOL) Amindoi romantici, amindoi indragostiti, suntem Fericiti !

(am facut o repetitie, simetrie, eufonie si aliteratie )
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

skr said:

Quote Originally Posted by dya View Post
    ce--to be read like..... I can't find any word right now!!!
    Czech Republic maybe

How to translate "a brand new man"?

9. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by skr View Post
    Czech Republic maybe
    EXACTLY!!!! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by skr View Post
    How to translate "a brand new man"?
    brand new --- nou-nouț (masc) nou-nouță(fem)

So: a brand new man = un bărbat nou-nouț

10. Crisa said:

Wow I can't believe that are people that want to,learn Romanian ! We have such a beautiful language .....
    Guys u did a great job here.You can count on my in this , I'll try to help as long as I have time....
    Am ramas foarte surprinsa cand am vazut atata lume care vrea sa invete romaneste...ma fucur foarte mult. Inca o data va felicit.

wolver99 said:

Crisa, you are right---limba ta, foarte foarte frumos!

Your country, too. In fact I plan to visit it sometime this fall.

It amazes me how ignorant the rest of the world is in regard to the many treasures I am going to be experiencing firsthand, thanks to a friend from Bucuresti I met online just last summer. I can't believe that only seven short months ago....wow.

By the way, I love counting to ten in Romanian...because I love the saying the words 'sase' 'sapte' 'opt' so much! lol 'Cinci' too.

Okay, on to more serious matters ...

How do I say to someone that I am busy training new people for work, at my job? I can't seem to get this across in my limited Romanian, and the dictionaries aren't always so clear when the same word can refer to multiple meanings...as in this case, a 'choo-choo' train (locomotive), for instance.

This morning I wanted to tell someone that I used 'lean' hamburger in my omelette, but was never quite sure which meaning of 'lean' I was reading (consider the Leaning Tower of Pisa, for example) so I used 'fara grasime'. I hope that was right...haven't gotten a reply to that message yet.

And although this is something I'm going to be exploring much more comprehensively after these new workers are trained, thereby giving me more free time, lol, how do you construct similes or other poetic comparisons in Romanian?

For example if I want to say 'eyes like an angel' or 'a church-like silence'?

How do I say to someone "Oh, you'll get over it" in Romanian?

I continue to be frustrated at how difficult it is to find the necessary Romanian words &/or adjectives to describe anatomy---thighs, or upper thighs, being just one example...or earlobes...fingernails...tip of the tongue/tongue tip ('The word was right on the tip of my tongue')...elbow....funny bone...shin...kneecap...the list goes on and on.

And maybe I need to take igrec up on his 'bad word' offer, lol. Not so much so that I would use them, but so I can recognize them when I see them in chats & blog commentaries--and thereby avoid embarrassing myself, and others, on future occasions.

I am sooooo looking forward to moving forward with my language studies...I try to read the new posts but don't always have time to post anything.

And I know the words by heart to about 10 Romanian 'pop' songs now...although I'm not always certain how to write the same words out, if I had to start from scratch.

Such a beautiful & interesting language...but complicated as---hmm, how do you say 'heck' in Romanian?

Which brings up a new question: how do you form the 'as ___ as ___' comparison in your language? As quiet as a church mouse...As loud as a lion's roar...as soft as a feather...as hard as steel?

p.s. btw igrec, part of the problem in perceiving spoken Romanian as going by so fast lies in the fact that it is said 'backwards' in comparison to things like Spanish---which also sounds too fast to me, at times, lol---or English, with respect to where we place our qualifiers ETC in the structure of our sentences (and colloquial phrasings, as the case may be).

But I'll catch up to it in time.

p.p.s. About the word sapte, it's interesting to me that the word for 'week' in Romanian is 'saptamina.' Is there a shared root here--realizing that the 's' is pronounced differently--in the sense, poate, of a 'seven day period'? Just wondering.
    Last edited by wolver99; 02-26-2008 at 06:52 PM.

12. dya said:

I'll answer this now

13. dya said:

How do I say to someone that I am busy training new people for work, at my job?
    To train--a antrena, a pregăti.
    --> Sunt ocupat cu pregătirea noilor angajați, la servici.

Lately, because of all the "training programs" issue, we "adopted" the verb train from english and we simply conjugate it in romanian. This word was not officialy accepted in the dictionary ...yet!

So, for the first person singular in present tense it would be "trainuiesc" in wich "train" is to be pronounced like in english and the rest like in Romanian !! LOL!

14. dya said:

This morning I wanted to tell someone that I used 'lean' hamburger in my omelette, but was never quite sure which meaning of 'lean' I was reading (consider the Leaning Tower of Pisa, for example) so I used 'fara grasime'. I hope that was right...haven't gotten a reply to that message yet.

It's a good choice Of fatless meat we also say it is slabă

For example if I want to say 'eyes like an angel' or 'a church-like silence'?

'eyes like an angel' --> ochi de înger

'a church-like silence'--> liniște ca în biserică

I continue to be frustrated at how difficult it is to find the necessary Romanian words &/or adjectives to describe anatomy---thighs, or upper thighs, being just one example...or earlobes...fingernails...tip of the tongue/tongue tip ('The word was right on the tip of my tongue')...elbow....funny bone...shin...kneecap...the list goes on and on.

Ok, let's take them one by one:
    thighs-->coapse
    earlob--> lobul urechii (plural -- lobii urechii)
    tip of the tongue/tongue tip ('The word was right on the tip of my tongue')-->vârful limbii (Cuvântul îmi stătea pe vârful limbii--we have the same expression)
    elbow-->cot
    funny bone--> I have no idea what that is
    shin--> fluierul piciorului (I'm sure there's an anatomic word for it, but I don't know it)
    kneecap--> don't know what that is! (knee--genunchi)

15. dya said:

Such a beautiful & interesting language...but complicated as---hmm, how do you say 'heck' in Romanian?

"heck" as in h e l l ? Dracu and in you expression it would go like this: complicat ca dracu! = complicated as h e l l/ heck !

Which brings up a new question: how do you form the 'as ___ as ___' comparison in your language? As quiet as a church mouse...As loud as a lion's roar...as soft as a feather...as hard as steel?

Sort of. The entire expression would look like this:
    as hard as steel -- la fel de tare ca oțelul

But in speaking we only say tare ca oțelul

la fel de = the same way as

ca= as

About the word sapte, it's interesting to me that the word for 'week' in Romanian is 'saptamina.' Is there a shared root here--realizing that the 's' is pronounced differently--in the sense, poate, of a 'seven day period'? Just wondering.

Yes, good eye! săptămână comes from the Latin septimana, septem--șapte--seven

I hope I covered all you questions

Regenbogen<3 said:

you had a pretty cool idea to write these romanian lessons!
    cuz i love romanian (and every foreign language )
    and i find it quit easy to learn cuz it's very similar to italian
    thank u

17. dya said:

We're glad you like it and yes, there are many things similar to italian

mister Xazos said:

Buna seara guys !

I wanted to tell you that I'll be gone until Friday in a trainning camp (national) with Politics. I hope you'll be fine without me, not missing me too much.
    My best wishes and sorry Wolver, I'll help you Friday night.

Mountains ! Rivers ! Snow ! Uhmmm...
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

wolver99 said:

Oh, dya, thank you thank you! You are such a help, not only in my studies of the Romanian and its wonderful subtleties but in bringing joyous smiles to the faces of my new Romanian friends & acquaintances, I like that best of all!

Thanks to all who give so much here. Fara--without--the song translations so many of you have contributed I would not be familiar with words like 'fara' ("Fara sens, fara soare, fara tine, nu ard!") to help me select expressions like 'fara grasime' in talking about micul dejun with my Bucuresti friend who is also a maestro cook! Multumesc mult!

"...I hope I covered all you questions..."

All except 'fingernails,' but I realize that my inquiry was not expressed in the most orderly way, lol. Thanks for being so patient with me.

Fwiw, the kneecap is the small round piece of bone that covers the front of the knee joint, shaped like a little cap, in fact.

The funny bone is the nerve junction, the place on the outside of the cot joint that, when bumped, causes a kind of pain or discomfort that almost makes one laugh at the same time they are saying "Ouch!" To 'tickle someone's funny bone' can mean to find what makes them laugh as well as to make someone laugh in spite of themselves or their sad situation at a given time....often when they are simply feeling a bit more sorry for themselves than may be justified.

Okay, I am FINALLY going to have some serious study time this weekend (remembering that I am 10 hours behind all of you) so dya et al you are on notice that you may have your work cut out for you when your Monday, dimineata, arrives. But I promise to make my question-flowers much easier to pick out from among all the weeds & brambles than they usually are, at times, with me.

And igrec, really? All the bad words? All the best....bad places? Hmmmm...

I know someone who would break out into a BIG smile if I were to let slip a couple words like that. Ha ha!

But really--I'm still in shock that dya spelled out the word h-e-l-l here so maybe anything is possible, eh? (Only teasing, dya!)

Pe curand...All.

20. dya said:

Hello Wolver NIce to know that my lessons are useful

Soooo...

All except 'fingernails,'
    I forgot about that!!

nail--unghie
    nails--unghii

finger/toe--deget
    fingers/toes--degete

We don't have different words for toes and fingers.

Therefore, if you refer to the fingernails you say unghiile de la m&#226;ini

and if you refer to the toenails you say unghiile de la picioare

The same with the fingers/toes themselves: degetele de la m&#226;ini & degetele de la picioare

the kneecap is the small round piece of bone that covers the front of the knee joint, shaped like a little cap, in fact.
    Yes, of course, I know what that is, but in the context of all anatomic stuff you asked for last time, I didn't realise it So the word is rotulă

The funny bone is the nerve junction, the place on the outside of the cot joint that, when bumped, causes a kind of pain or discomfort that almost makes one laugh at the same time they are saying "Ouch!" To 'tickle someone's funny bone' can mean to find what makes them laugh as well as to make someone laugh in spite of themselves or their sad situation at a given time....often when they are simply feeling a bit more sorry for themselves than may be justified.
    OK, we actually don't use this term in day-to-day speaking. I found it out myself this morning in trying to answer your question! The term for that particular bone is, apparently, olecran. We simply use cot. When we accidentally bump it and it hurts we say (past tense used here) :M-am lovit &#238;n/la cot.

We also have a colloquial expression related to cot

Mă doare &#238;n cot--I don't give a d-a-m-n about smth/smb. (Literally translated as "I have a pain in my ellbow)

Okay, I am FINALLY going to have some serious study time this weekend (remembering that I am 10 hours behind all of you) so dya et al you are on notice that you may have your work cut out for you when your Monday, dimineata, arrives. But I promise to make my question-flowers much easier to pick out from among all the weeds & brambles than they usually are, at times, with me.

You'll probably get an answer on your Monday morning because on my Monday morning I'm going to work quite early and won't probably have time to write before that

Have a nice weekend!