Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

wolver99 said:

Oh, *now* I understand why I had so much trouble trying to tell someone what I meant by fingernails and tip of the tongue, lol. Thanks dya.

Okay, I had some technical issues with my internet connection and missed several days of being online, thereby falling even further behind my desired schedule than I was before. It's always something, eh? Hopefully I can catch up during the coming weekend.

Oh, btw...do you have the saying "You can't have your cake and eat it too" in Romanian? So...assuming I wanted to say it myself using your limba....

Pe curand, dya....really!

p.s. Yes, the usage 'kneecap' is technically correct for us but we also use it in a more informal, almost humorous way sometimes when speaking colloquially depending on the context and I didn't make that clear.

2. dya said:

Hello Wolver

Right now, I can't think of any Romanian saying that could match the one you mentioned...

I'll think about it and if I find any, I'll let you know

wolver99 said:

hi dya

I think it is something like this:

si cu varza grasa / unsa si cu slanina nu se poate

I don't know what 'nu se poate' translates to literally, though, because 'poate' means 'maybe' to me and I can't relate it to the rest figuratively.

I found those examples at hallo.ro but now have found a site for Romanian proverbs, I will look through that and see what I can find.

I like "Bună si mămăliga, când ne lipseste pâinea" (or is it Bună-i plăcinta, dar dacă nu-i, e bună si pita....difficult when multiple possibilities are given) when I think of one friend I know who was happy without money until she met a rich boyfriend and so now can't live without her shopping sprees...And:

"Faptele grăiesc mai apăsat decât vorbele" from a more general standpoint.

Lots of people I know are more than willing to offer words about helping....whereas many here at this site put their money where their mouths are! (I hope that makes sense to you from the English, I haven't found the Ro equivalent yet, lol).

Talk to you later, dya.

edit: Oh yes, here is the link for the Romanian proverbs--

http://www.deproverbio.com/DPbooks/EROM/A.html
    Last edited by wolver99; 03-05-2008 at 04:00 PM.

4. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by wolver99 View Post
    si cu varza grasa / unsa si cu slanina nu se poate
    Yes, this is good

I don't know what 'nu se poate' translates to literally, though, because 'poate' means 'maybe' to me and I can't relate it to the rest figuratively.
    nu se poate as an expression literally means it can't be or it's impossible

I like "Bună si mămăliga, când ne lipseste pâinea" (or is it Bună-i plăcinta, dar dacă nu-i, e bună si pita....difficult when multiple possibilities are given) when I think of one friend I know who was happy without money until she met a rich boyfriend and so now can't live without her shopping sprees...And:
    Hmmm.....These two proverbs, which refer to the same thing, are rather used for someone who used to know how life is with money, but now he/she has to readjust to living without it. Because bread is better than polenta(that's, apparently, the official translation of "mămăligă") and pie is better than "pită"(which is another term, and rather old, for bread).
    So:
    "Bună si mămăliga, când ne lipseste pâinea"-- Polenta is good too, when bread is missing. Meaning= I can do with polenta, since there's no bread available for me at the moment.

Bună-i plăcinta, dar dacă nu-i, e bună si pita--The pie is good, but if there isn't any, bread will do it. Meaning the same as above: I'd rather have pie, which I know how good it is, but since there isn't any pie available, I'll settle for bread (this being something that I can afford at the moment).

Have a nice day

5. emyiakab said:

Hey Dya my friend, stiu eu un proberb care reda ideea tipului, e asa Si cu mandra si cu draga, nu se poate!meaning that u can t have in the same time your wife and your lover, at a certain point u have to choose, I guess@Let s not forget that the saying comes from ancient times when family was considered sacred, so the wife was the wife, left no place for the lover/mistress.

wolver99 said:

How does one say "Tell me more lies, but remember that I've heard all of them" in Romanian?

I tried to joke about this with my friend in Bucuresti, but she keeps taking me literally or something and thinks I keep calling her a liar! Nuuuuuu! Help!

And we have finally hired a new helper at my job, beginning this evening---seara mea, in Seattle---I begin my daily studies in Romanian, at least 30 minutes each day but hopefully much more until my friends understand me when I am joking with them!

I can hardly wait.

7. dya said:

How does one say "Tell me more lies, but remember that I've heard all of them" in Romanian?

I tried to joke about this with my friend in Bucuresti, but she keeps taking me literally or something and thinks I keep calling her a liar! Nuuuuuu! Help!
    I really don't know any saying that could match your idea.... I know what it refers to, and the only thing I can come up with right now is this:

Minte-mă, dar minte-mă frumos!--Lie to me, but lie to me nicely/beautifully

It's not exactly the same, as it does not point to the fact that I've heard them all but rather to the fact that I know you lie and I accept it (as long as you know that I know) but at least give it a nice shape!! LOL!

I'm glad to hear you'll have more time for study We're here to help you when you need it.

8. Lenka said:

Wink I need help again

Hi guys, could u please help with that? I ve already tried but u know

ce beton numai eu m-am plimbat pe asa ceva /i understand all words but it doesnt make a sense to me/

am nevoie de melodii noi compune ceva si pt mine. /i need melody we make /compose/ something for me ? !? /

gasca mea nu poate sa stea fara tine /also know all the words but../

nu am cuvinte am vazut eu toata europa da ma seaca la inima ce vad felicitari /nooooo idea at all/

si acum la distractie baieti (i couldnt find d. in dictionary) and now bla bla boys... ?

tine-o tot asa meriti din plin

I am desperate so please heeeelp

I am learning lesson 4 of limba romina but its getting worse and worse, i mean more difficult
    Last edited by Lenka; 03-12-2008 at 05:02 PM.

9. dya said:

These are all coloquial expressions. The words don't have their primary meaning, that's why you didn't understand much. 'll translate them, by giving you the meaning/equivalent of the expressions, since you said you understand the words

ce beton numai eu m-am plimbat pe asa ceva--How cool! Only I (it was only me the one who) took a ride on something like this!

am nevoie de melodii noi compune ceva si pt mine. --I need new songs. Compose something for me too.

gasca mea nu poate sa stea fara tine--My gang/band(group of friends) can't stay without you.

nu am cuvinte am vazut eu toata europa da ma seaca la inima ce vad felicitari ----I'm speechless. I've seen the entire Europe but what I see (here) rips my heart apart.(in the good way--my heart is longing for something like this) Congratulations!

si acum la distractie baieti --And now, let's party, boys! (distractie means fun/having fun

tine-o tot asa meriti din plin --Keep it up like this, you totally deserve it.

I hope these are of some help

mister Xazos said:

Good morning girls, good morning guys.
    I missed a little bit, I know. I was in a training camp for a week and when I came back I was so tired... I slept very good last night and today I'm here.
    How are you all ?

I saw Wolver that you paste there my "quote". It means that you may tell me as many lies as you want, but I have heard them already from you (or another) And do not joke with this my friend... It's a little bit serious, and like it happend you may be called a liar or she may understand you call her a liar.
    (I know I play with the words, but they are the window of the thoughts)

Some help in smh ?
    Πάρε φιλιά, πάρε καρδιά και μη νοιαστείς για μένα.
    Πάρε ό,τι ζει κι άσε με εκεί
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

11. dya said:

Neata, Igrec!

Glad to have you back Ohh...and I really like your avatar!!!

mister Xazos said:

Hey ! Well, he's my invisible friend and he has the same needs as I do. (Ouzo!) I was kidding, although it's very good, delicious
    I'm going to sleep. Tomorrow I skip my first 2 hours (Latine) and I want to sleep more... And more...
    My best wishes !
    Πάρε φιλιά, πάρε καρδιά και μη νοιαστείς για μένα.
    Πάρε ό,τι ζει κι άσε με εκεί
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

skr said:

I give myself 10 years to start speakin' Romanian ;P but right now I need help - how to say 'it's just rap music'?

14. dya said:

Este doar muzică rap.

or the shorter version:

Este doar rap.

skr said:

Quote Originally Posted by dya View Post
    Este doar muzică rap.

or the shorter version:

Este doar rap.
    That was easy, I could try by myself :P thanks

16. ariana said:

i am roumanian so if u need help with this write to me, i am a roumanian teacher; i teach grammar..

skr said:

De-atatea
    te-ntalnesc
    totu-i
    sa-l

That's examples of what's most difficult for me in understanding Romanian. How to recognise which 2 words are combined???

18. dya said:

You'll get used to this shortened forms once you see them many times. When two words are combined like this the second word starts with a vowel. The vowel is the one dispensed.

One way to figure it out would be to try and "recreate" the second word using all the vowels untill it looks familiar.

The other way is, as I said, to get used to these forms and start using them yourself.

De-atatea --De atâtea
    te-ntalnesc--Te întâlnesc
    totu-i--totul este(correct form) but it actually comes from the popular/archaic form: totul îi (îi stands for este)
    sa-l--să îl

19. honey in the sunshine said:

wow, dya, you're really great and your knowledge of our language is spectacular )

What a nice think you're doing... Bravo!

20. honey in the sunshine said:

I meant thing, sorry)