Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

mister Xazos said:

You make me blush...
    Πάρε φιλιά, πάρε καρδιά και μη νοιαστείς για μένα.
    Πάρε ό,τι ζει κι άσε με εκεί
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

Night Wish said:

Who makes you blush???? Geez...Me???? How's that? The only thing is that you are kind and help me all the time I need...as others do that too...So multumesc once again....
    uuuuhhhh....by the way how that will be in Romanian "once again"?
    Comparing to eternity this life is only the wink of the butterfly's wings....

mister Xazos said:

Mulţumesc încă o dată.

In my opinion there's no other better feeling when you help someone then to receive an honest "thank you". It's my recompense and my soul feels like the 9th heaven.
    It's my pleasure ... BTW, what's your name ?
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

Night Wish said:

My name is Jasmina...and really i'm glad i make you feel that way...because i know how it looks...trust me there is no so many people around me who are willing to offer their help gladly...of course i agree with you that there is nothing more wonderful than knowing that you can help someone...so i'm glad too that only by accident I ran on this forum, meet all of you...share some nice ideas and knowledge...

5. Sahrian said:

Default Mai ai mult de-nvatat...

Quote Originally Posted by igrec View Post
    You're right on the first view, but Romanian has an athropololgic part formed by slavic languages like a 15% which is not unforgetable.
    What do you mean by "Romanian has an athropololgic [sic] part formed by slavic languages like a 15%"? This is pure nonsense.

Grammar can be compared with Greek
    This is too much...igrec, in order to advise people you have to be informed. But this is not your case. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. So stop spreading bullshit and use your free time to really learn something about Romanian language. The way you use it and your knowledge about it don't make good impression.

Your best option for now: TO APPOLOGIZE FOR MISINFORMING PEOPLE.

Night Wish said:

uuuuhhhh...hard words...I think that even that you are completely right, this is not the way to speak...sorry but I had to tell you that...

7. Sahrian said:

Wink

@Night Wish
    I was joking, so don't take my words in a hard way. I know that igrec is a nice guy and I sincerely appreciate his presence on this discussion board. The only problem is that sometimes he is disposed to make categoric assertions on matters he is not very well versed in, and you could take his unadvised opinions as true facts.

Night Wish said:

Ok then Sahrian...I belive you...but really you use some ugly words...I guess you can open a discussion about that he wrote but not to use those words....That's all...and of course you can help then too...if you have your opinion about anything...

9. Sahrian said:

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wish View Post
    Ok then Sahrian...I belive you...but really you use some ugly words...I guess you can open a discussion about that he wrote but not to use those words...
    I didn't use ugly words. Maybe I was too informal, but considering the age difference I think I can take the liberty...

10. dya said:

Hei! What are you doing to this thread? This is no place to argue. This is a place to learn from

Just to clarify things and keep them on-topic:

Romanian is a language mostly based on Latin when it comes to grammar and morphology. It has slavonic influences at the level of vocabulary and phonetics. Keep in mind that since the Middle Ages till the 18th century, slavonic was the language used for religious service. The liturgical language of the Romanian Orthodox Church was old slavonic. Also, keep in mind the influence of the Church in peoples' lives back then and you'll understand why so many words were borrowed/adopted from slavonic. Later on when Romanian started to be used in Church as liturgical language, the number of slavonic origin words started to decrese while the second "borrowing session" from Latin started.

At the moment, Romanian it is said to actually have in use around 10% of slavonic origin vocabulary. Another (around) 10% are represented by other influences(Greek, Turkish, Hungarian, ETC) and the major part of the vocabulary(80%) is of Latin and and Romance languages origin. Also, to be noted that many of the Romance languages origin words come also from Latin, but they were assimilated in Romanian not directly from Latin but through French, Italian, etc( mostly during the second "borrowing session" which also coincided with a great French/ Italian influence at the cultural level around here) )

That's it.

And what Igrec said about Romanian grammar being comparable to the Greek grammar. Considering that some of us here are kind of obsessed with Greek language, I guess he made this reference having that in mind and not a scientific fact.

Also, yes, Romanian and Greek grammar are "from the same movie" if you comapare them with English for example. From this point of view, yes they share the same characteristics but they are not linguistically comparable. Yes, both languages conjugate verbs and decline nouns and have an noun-adjective agreement ETC, so yes compared to English which has none of these, they may be comparable. It's like saying that apples and oranges are the same because they are fruits.

"We're different but, in the end, we're all fruit".

Quod erat demonstrandum!

mister Xazos said:

Default For Sahrian

There's a contrast between your "apreciation" and your words. If you have a problem with me or what do I write, send me a pm. If you consider yourself a native speaker come here and help those who really want to learn Romanian. It's so easy to come and to judge to others...
    I strongly deny your provocation to argue (you're older than me, you even told this !) because I would rather preffer to translate or to explain to someone wht means a word.
    Thank you for your words, mean as they are.

Have a nice night.
    Oh, and by the way, speak in Romanian if you're a native, we have a thread there. Or send me as many pm as you wish, but don't "disturb the silence" of learning Romanian.
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

Night Wish said:

Bravo DYA....!!!! Those things you wrote about influences of other languages on Romanian I already red somewhere...and I agree with you that this thread is not a place for arguing...that is the only reason why I reacted on Sahrian's reply...
    And I don't understand that statement about ages of Sahrian...but never mind...The only thing that metters here that some people gather in order to help to people who want to learn Romanian...
    See you soon guys with new questions..!!!!

Night Wish said:

And bravo Igrec too...

mister Xazos said:

Jasmine, I'm not very glad of this but I don't like when people come here for arguing. As I said, If they have a problem with me, then send me a pm, do whatever you want, but not involve the others or turn against.
    Anyway, I've been through many problems, and I'm thinking ... I must be or the Devil Himself of Prince Charming or why so many people talk by me or judge me ? (this is suposed to be a joke )

Anyway, how are your lessons Jasmine ?
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

Night Wish said:

Well...every day I learn something new , even I don't like it...
    Just a little joke...
    To be frank with you, as I said once...there is a tough period for me in my life, and not to be easy there is also so much work at my job just now...so the spare time is my prob now...but as I settle down a bit ...I will be a better student...and I practice Romanian, well...only those words I know...every day...and I have also help and support for learning Romanian from another dear teacher...so maybe it will be something from my learning...and I think that the best way, of course I'm not the only one with that, is to learn it there...in your country...so I hope there will be a chance to come there...soon...

mister Xazos said:

Well... All I wish you is to come here and to make your dreams come true. Chances always appear when they cannot become succes. Or maybe I'm too pesimistic in this night. But sometimes you get tired of everything and you give up to dreams.
    I don't want to spread here the pesimism.. I'm very tired dear Jasmine. We'll talk tomorrow. Apologies myself.

Noapte buna si vise placute
    Pupici .
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

Night Wish said:

Noapte buna!!! Sorry to hear about your condition...and trust me...so many times recently I felt that way...of course I don't know what is the reason for your feel that way...but somehow ( remember that I'm in bad period too) I find the way to look positive...and of course is easier when there is someone close to you to bring back a smile on your face...for a moment - but that is enough too - to lift you up with simple things...and dreams are something we can always rely on !!! and HOPE !!! So live in presence - this is why I had that HERE and NOW...to remind me to BE PRESENT...!!!! and when you act that way everything is much easier...I wish you a luck and send you my positive thoughts...!!!!!

lollipop said:

Hello.
    This thread has gone off-topic.

From now on, all chit-chat off-topic posts will be removed from this thread.

Please, stay ON-topic from now on, and post in this topics about learning Romanian language.
    Thank you for your understanding!

Happy learning.

wolver99 said:

May I ask what is the Romanian word for 'hug'? I just can't find it anywhere, apparently what the dictionaries give is not the word used in everyday speech because neither of the two friends I've tried to say this to understand what I mean.

Also: how can I explain to someone in Romanian that I am using the current profits from a small business to reinvest in the business in order to keep it growing for the purpose of hopefully generating even better profits in the future?

TIA.

p.s. And Igrec, when you say "All I wish you is to come here and to make your dreams come true" in your post above....you have no idea how close to the mark, from this student's pov, you really came in making that statement. Would you mind translating that in Ro for me? Multumesc either way.

20. Sahrian said:

Actually I didn't register here in order to argue with the lyrical Y (to argue about what!?), but to open a discussion related to the title of this thread.
    Being a teacher myself I am interested in Methodology (I'm almost fascinated by this subject) and my practice experience shows that choosing the adequate method greatly facilitates the process of learning. As you perhaps would agree, in learning a foreign language there are to apply some general methodological rules, effectual for all cases, and some specific rules which concern both the linguistic background of the person eager to learn and the particular features of the language which constitutes the object of learning (in this case Romanian language). I think would be interesting to identify these specific methodological rules. Please keep in mind that I don't expect the discussion to be too scientific.