Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

wolver99 said:

Can someone please tell me the meaning of 'piteştiul'? It isn't in the dictionary, is it the name of a town? I found it when doing vocabulary & listening studies from the Romanian news site, scrolling across the bottom of the page in the bulletin:

Piteştiul fără apă caldă ('X' is without hot water...right?)

When I entered 'Piteştiul' into Google I only became more hopelessly lost...lol

Multumesc in advans.

(and in searching around I find the phrase 'Piteştiul după Piteşti' aici: http://civicmedia.ro/acm/index.php?o...d=703&Itemid=1 dar "no results" in any of the dictionaries I have regardless of the forms of what appear to be possible root words of the 'ul' construction in the original, arrrrrgh! )
    Last edited by wolver99; 05-03-2008 at 04:12 PM.

2. thadeus said:

here is another link for those who have problems with the pronunciation
    just type the text in romanian and then click read on (select the romanian voice)

http://say.expressivo.com/nk1wucpo

use the full romanian alphabet (ă, ţ, ş, etc) in order to hear the correct pronunciation and don't use contractions like dute-n or şi-n (write duten or şin)

wolver99 said:

^^^ thadeus multumesc foarte mult for that amazing link (pentru *aceala* linkul uimitor? Not sure what gender 'link' is), I've been playing with that all day, lol.

tigress_tim said:

Hello wolver99
    It's "acel link"
    It's nice to see how many people..want to learn romanian language

5. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by wolver99 View Post
    Can someone please tell me the meaning of 'piteştiul'? It isn't in the dictionary, is it the name of a town? I found it when doing vocabulary & listening studies from the Romanian news site, scrolling across the bottom of the page in the bulletin:

Piteştiul fără apă caldă ('X' is without hot water...right?)

When I entered 'Piteştiul' into Google I only became more hopelessly lost...lol

Multumesc in advans.

(and in searching around I find the phrase 'Piteştiul după Piteşti' aici: http://civicmedia.ro/acm/index.php?o...d=703&Itemid=1 dar "no results" in any of the dictionaries I have regardless of the forms of what appear to be possible root words of the 'ul' construction in the original, arrrrrgh! )
    Pitești is the name of a city. The name itself is masculine in gender, therefore it gets the masculine definite article -ul.

When the name of a city(or country) is considered masculine in Romanian, it gets the definite article, when it's the subject of the sentence. Or it is rephrased with the word city--oraș in front and it's that word which gets the definite article, -ul.

Pitești-- Piteștiul OR orașul Pitești
    București--Bucureștiul--orașul București
    Paris--Parisul--orașul Paris
    Washington--Washingtonul--orașul Washington

Examples of countries: Cipru--Ciprul, Iran--Iranul, Maroc-Marocul, Vietnam--Vietnamul, etc. For countries, we do not use the repharse I mentioned above. We don't say țara Cipru.

This doesn't happen with cities or countries which in Romanian have a feminine gender. Because they also have a feminine ending(usually a) and the feminine definite article is also a. So they don't change the form. With these, the rephrase with orașul can be used:

Timișoara--orașul Timișoara
    Londra--orașul Londra
    Philadelphia--orașul Philadelphia

If it's not clear enough, I'll try to explain again

wolver99 said:

Thanks dya, I don't completely understand the article thing--not only with respect to city names, --but I've also been as flooded with new information this past week and weekend as parts of Romania were inundated with ploaie, according to the news, so it may take several more days of study & practice for it to sink in.

It's interesting how chapters in the book(s) I'm using are seen in a whole new light--most recently the section on 'this' & 'that' after tigress's post ieri--with the insight gained from a simple little point about usages provided in a post here sometimes...I am now tripling my previous efforts at learning limba ta and feel eager to see just how much ground I can gain in the coming week.

That link from thadeus, again, wow, is so useful, I plugged in words and sentences--from the lyrics translations here as well as a few other Ro sites, for example the National Journal site--all afternoon and evening yesterday and it is helping my ear immensely. And LonelyMoonRise the poem-songs you've posted and which, dya, to name one, has helped shed light on have opened up whole new horizons not just in terms of the potentials of expressive Ro but in terms of the culture as well thanks to the new varieties of music I have to explore as a result of the new resources available at YouTube I've discovered thanks to you.

'Multumesc' can never begin to express the gratitude and joy I am feeling right now as a result of all the generous help so many have given so freely at this forum.

Wow. Uimitor.

Now, back to work...

(and igrec, of course you come to mind, rightly so, I think, each and every time I encounter anything about your country that has even the slightest whiff of politics involved with it...in a good sense, because it does deepen the understanding of both history and present-day cultural workings in the entire region, and I'm sure that will all come in handy when I start spending more and more time in all parts of Romania after my initial visit (the friend who will be 'hosting' me has already promised a jaunt to the beach & a swing through Iasi, on the way back through Cluj & the muntii, and I'm truly looking forward to seeing what I've only been hearing about to date...from a number of perspectives. )

http://www.jurnalul.ro/
    Last edited by wolver99; 05-04-2008 at 09:18 AM.

louchi said:

Thanks dya , great job really .... i am lebanese and i live in australia and i have many freinds from romania who i met on IRC chatting room and i started teach them arabic and they taught me romanian ...i'm really interested in learning romanian it's a great language for a great country ... i wish i vist romania someday ...
    but i find it a little bit hard ..i mean to memorise all these information ... but maybe i just need time to practice ... not to mention it's even harder when u got an arabic background plus i speak french ( cause lebanon used to be a french colony...so everyone in lebanon learn french from the first grade as first language) and english and little german ( i was planing to study engineering in germany ... so i studied german for 3 month in a language center... then i changed my plans ... but i was doing great in the lang though ) ...and now romanian ..which i really started to like more than ever ,after my friend from romania sent me a romanian song ( vorbe care dor) ...so i search it on google .. and i found this site .... so i really like the idea of learning languages and other cultures ...
    and i am ready to provide any help anyone might need in ( arabic , french )

again thx dya for ur effort in teaching us ur interesting language

P.S. : my gf's mother is swedish ...and my gf moved there recently to attend university there .... and she's teaching me swedish these days ..... i guess i'm over loading my brain with languages .... but who cares ... i still want to learn romanian

8. Sahrian said:

Talking

ADEVARAT A INVIAT!

I think we could accept French besides English as language of communication in this thread. I'm curious how many of us (Romanians) still know some French. If it's easier for you to post in French, post in French. NEO! (Not English only!) .

ana1228 said:

Quote Originally Posted by louchi View Post
    Thanks dya , great job really .... i am lebanese and i live in australia and i have many freinds from romania who i met on IRC chatting room and i started teach them arabic and they taught me romanian ...i'm really interested in learning romanian it's a great language for a great country ... i wish i vist romania someday ...
    but i find it a little bit hard ..i mean to memorise all these information ... but maybe i just need time to practice ... not to mention it's even harder when u got an arabic background plus i speak french ( cause lebanon used to be a french colony...so everyone in lebanon learn french from the first grade as first language) and english and little german ( i was planing to study engineering in germany ... so i studied german for 3 month in a language center... then i changed my plans ... but i was doing great in the lang though ) ...and now romanian ..which i really started to like more than ever ,after my friend from romania sent me a romanian song ( vorbe care dor) ...so i search it on google .. and i found this site .... so i really like the idea of learning languages and other cultures ...
    and i am ready to provide any help anyone might need in ( arabic , french )

again thx dya for ur effort in teaching us ur interesting language

P.S. : my gf's mother is swedish ...and my gf moved there recently to attend university there .... and she's teaching me swedish these days ..... i guess i'm over loading my brain with languages .... but who cares ... i still want to learn romanian
    louchi

I am romanian and i am learning arabic... however I am learning the egyptian dialect but I can help u with ur romanian if you would like..

Salam aalikum .... w 7az sa3eed =)
    Those who mind, don't matter. Those who matter, don't mind!

louchi said:

Quote Originally Posted by Sahrian View Post
    ADEVARAT A INVIAT!

I think we could accept French besides English as language of communication in this thread. I'm curious how many of us (Romanians) still know some French. If it's easier for you to post in French, post in French. NEO! (Not English only!) .
    surement pourquoi pas ...

louchi said:

Quote Originally Posted by ana1228 View Post
    louchi

I am romanian and i am learning arabic... however I am learning the egyptian dialect but I can help u with ur romanian if you would like..

Salam aalikum .... w 7az sa3eed =)
    ahhhh that's wonderful .. seeing romanian interested in learning arabic ... it's not that easy job ... our lang is very complicated.. don't let me start with the arabic grammar :O.....
    btw it's good that u r learning the egyptian dialect .... but try the lebanese too ..it's fun

buna ...multumesc

12. creepmeout said:

buna tot . Vreau invat limba romana si eu. am fost in bucuresti recent si i loved it (mi am se place?). Asta website este foarte bine pentru invata limba ta. I have no idea if I wrote that right. I came in a bit late and am only on page 8 dar cred ca invat romana mai mare then when i was in bucuresti. Sorry about the mix between english and romanian.. i always try to include as much as I can in a sentence. Can you translate what I said now properly? And thank you so much for doing this. I love romania and the language. I was in sinaia, bran, brasov and bucuresti and i want to go back as soon as i can!

13. dya said:

Hello, creepmeout

The translation in Romanian of what you said earlier would be:

Buna tuturor! Vreau să învăț limba română și eu. Am fost in București recent și mi-a plăcut la nebunie. Acest website este foarte bun pentru a învăța limba voastră.

Later on: (...) dar cred că am învățat română mai bine ---I think I learned Romanian better --is this waht you wanted to say?

Anyway....congratulations You're on the good path here And we're happy you like both our country and our language!

Obviously...if you need any help...we're here

14. creepmeout said:

multumesc frumos . I wanted to say that I think i've learnt Romanian better from your site then when i was in Bucuresti. One of the main problems i have with the grammar is with ma, ta, etc.. and how to put them into sentences as well as imi, iti.

ana1228 said:

Quote Originally Posted by louchi View Post
    ahhhh that's wonderful .. seeing romanian interested in learning arabic ... it's not that easy job ... our lang is very complicated.. don't let me start with the arabic grammar :O.....
    btw it's good that u r learning the egyptian dialect .... but try the lebanese too ..it's fun

buna ...multumesc
    ana 3arafa lebanese aydan zay... shoo fi mafi, kefak, Bilizin etc.... And yes I know it very difficult.. but I learned the alphabet in one week and i can read perfectly only problem I do not know what I am reading.. but yeah... what makes you so interested in the romanian language.?
    Those who mind, don't matter. Those who matter, don't mind!

16. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by creepmeout View Post
    multumesc frumos . I wanted to say that I think i've learnt Romanian better from your site then when i was in Bucuresti. One of the main problems i have with the grammar is with ma, ta, etc.. and how to put them into sentences as well as imi, iti.
    Cu plăcere

So, your phrase should have looked like this:
    Cred că am învățat română mai bine de pe site-ul vostru decât (am învățat) atunci când am fost în București.

Your issue with mă, te, se, etc, îmi, îți, îi, etc has to do with grammatical cases.

I will write about this a bit later, right now I am a bit busy

louchi said:

Quote Originally Posted by ana1228 View Post
    ana 3arafa lebanese aydan zay... shoo fi mafi, kefak, Bilizin etc.... And yes I know it very difficult.. but I learned the alphabet in one week and i can read perfectly only problem I do not know what I am reading.. but yeah... what makes you so interested in the romanian language.?
    hehe nice "shoo fi mafi" that's so lebanese 100%
    well as i said before i have some friends from romania whom i met on IRC chatting room and we became very close friends they taught me romanian and i taught them arabic ... and they sent me some romanian songs that i really liked and i wanted to know what it means and how to sing it
    P.S. : my favourit romanian song is ( vorbe care dor) = word that hurt (english ) = mot qui fait mal (français) = kelmet yalli btejrah (arabic) =Wort das verletze ( deutsch )

louchi said:

hey dya
    thx for ur effort in teaching us romanian
    well my friends taught me some romanian words without the accents like ă î etc .. do u think if i use " buna " and " mutulmesk " .. romanian ppl will understand what i'm talking abt ? however i don't have those letters in my keyboard ...

19. dya said:

Hello, LOuchi

In writing people will understand if you write without diacritics. There's no problem. IN speakinh though...not really!

mulțumesc= multumesc

20. dya said:

Oh, Louchi, and something else:

Vorbe care dor would be Words that hurt. It's plural.

vorbă/ cuvânt= word
    vorbe/ cuvinte= words

Vorbă is used in a more poetic way. Cuvânt is the standard for word. Also vorbă is related to the verb a vorbi= to speak

Present tense:
    Eu vorbesc - I speak
    Tu vorbești- You speak
    El/ea vorbește- He/she speaks
    Noi vorbim- We speak
    Voi vorbiți- You speak
    Ei vorbesc- They speak