Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Smile translation please

Need something translated into romanian

Hello, are you new to this country?, whats your name don't feel upset if you don't get the hang of things here or able to communicate with people because there are always people here to help you, and i am sure if you keep practicing the language here you will get it.
    x3.:EsCaRliN:.x3

2. Lady_A said:

Buna, esti nou/a in aceasta tara? Cum te cheama? Nu te supara daca nu prinzi lucrurile din zbor sau daca nu esti in stare sa comunici pentru ca aici exista mereu oameni care sa te ajute si sunt sigura ca daca vei continua sa exersezi limba, o vei intelege.

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Thanks i appreciate the translation !! =]

mike123 said:

Bună,

Aş vrea sa înţeleg mai multe forme ale cuvântului: "totuşi"

Dictionar.com a spus:
    adv never; nevertheless; none; notwithstanding; though

Google Translater a spus:
    still

Înţeleg ca contextul e cel mai important. Te rog mă ajutaţi inteles.
    ( ... = I understand that the context is the most important. Please help me understand.)

mulţumesc anticipat.
    Mike
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decât răspunsul.

angelxirina said:

here are some examples:

Aş vrea să te cred, totuşi am unele îndoieli. (I would like to believe you, yet/still/however I have some doubts.) – Here “totuşi” can be replaced with “dar”and “însă”.

Cât îi dă şi totuşi i se pare puţin. (How much he/she gives to him/her still/however/nevertheless he/she finds it little.) - Here “totuşi” can be replaced with “încă”, “tot”, “cu toate acestea”.

The thing is that English has a variety of words which mean more or less the same thing. We don’t have that in Romanian. We use the same word in many contexts.

If you need more help just say it!

mike123 said:

mulţumesc angelxirina. Your post is very helpful. I am slowly getting used to the many contexts!

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Post birthday wishes!

need help with a translation on how to say things for some birthday wishes

happy birthday

a double wish only to say for you i hope that you have much joy and fun on your special day

i wish you much happiness and fulfilling years of life

mike123 said:

Quote Originally Posted by x0babiigirlx0 View Post
    need help with a translation on how to say things for some birthday wishes

happy birthday

a double wish only to say for you i hope that you have much joy and fun on your special day

i wish you much happiness and fulfilling years of life
    happy birthday = La mulţi ani (used for everything actually)

I wish you much happiness and fulfilling years of life = îti doresc multă fericire si împliniri ani de viaţi.

I'm not sure about the other one.
    Last edited by mike123; 11-17-2009 at 02:57 PM.

countingstars said:

If that's okay, I'd like to make some small corrections

i wish you much happiness and fulfilling years of life = Îţi doresc multă fericire şi mulţi ani împliniţi

The exact translation would be without 'multi', but this is an expression in romanian and it's advisable to use it

countingstars said:

Oh now I see there's another one

a double wish only to say for you i hope that you have much joy and fun on your special day = o dublă urare doar pentru a-ţi spune că sper să ai parte de multă bucurie şi distracţie de ziua ta!

baby_girl_ said:

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1978 View Post
    Hello, I have a Romanian boyfriend and am trying to teach him more English and along the way I am learning a little Romanian. Could someone please tell me if I am getting this correct to explain to him?

Does inceput mean early as in early morning? So would I say inceput dimineata? I was trying to explain to him that he wakens up too early on a Sunday!!

And also what is the word for late in Romanian? So like late morning. Or I am late.

Thanks so much in advance this looks like a great site to learn with so many helpful people.

CJ
    Hello, we don't have "inceput de dimineata" in romanian, for early in the morning you use "dis de dimineata".
    late morning= dimineata tarzie (or you can use "pranz")
    i'm late= am intarziat

have a nice day

chai22 said:

Talking Question about grammatical structure

bună,
    I have a question about the following line from the song Lucruri Simple by Activ :
    „Doar o clipă mi-e de-ajuns să visez...”

I'm wondering, what is the grammatical structure and meaning behind „mi-e de ajuns să...” and how can I use it ?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I'm taking Romanian at UCLA. I was surprised the offered it here =) I'm just wondering whether other people are taking it at a school/uni or just learning on their own.

countingstars said:

Hello chai22
    The translation of the line is "A moment is enough for me to dream'. So, 'mi-e de ajuns sa' means 'is/it's enough for me to'. 'Mi' is a pronoun (short form for 'imi), e is the short form for 'este' (to be), 'de ajuns' means 'enough' and you have another verb, 'sa visez' , 'to dream'.
    Hope this helped

countingstars said:

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1978 View Post
    Hello, I have a Romanian boyfriend and am trying to teach him more English and along the way I am learning a little Romanian. Could someone please tell me if I am getting this correct to explain to him?

Does inceput mean early as in early morning? So would I say inceput dimineata? I was trying to explain to him that he wakens up too early on a Sunday!!

And also what is the word for late in Romanian? So like late morning. Or I am late.

Thanks so much in advance this looks like a great site to learn with so many helpful people.

CJ
    I see someone already helped you, CJ, but I also have a suggestion. You can say 'devreme', which means 'early' and it's shorter
    You can also combine it with 'dimineata', but it's also ok to use it alone.

DeBaires said:

Quote Originally Posted by chai22 View Post
    bună,
    I have a question about the following line from the song Lucruri Simple by Activ :
    „Doar o clipă mi-e de-ajuns să visez...”

I'm wondering, what is the grammatical structure and meaning behind „mi-e de ajuns să...” and how can I use it ?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I'm taking Romanian at UCLA. I was surprised the offered it here =) I'm just wondering whether other people are taking it at a school/uni or just learning on their own.
    I'm so jealous that you can take Romanian! I live near UCLA but I go to CSUN & I'm teaching Romanian to myself cuz they don't offer it at my school! Do you know if it's offered somehow for none UCLA students, haha? Send me all the worksheets & exercises you do lol!
    Nu ştiu de ce lupt aşa pentru tine.
    Ti it l'avěe tut ma adess 't as nen gnente.
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

mike123 said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    I'm so jealous that you can take Romanian! I live near UCLA but I go to CSUN & I'm teaching Romanian to myself cuz they don't offer it at my school! Do you know if it's offered somehow for none UCLA students, haha? Send me all the worksheets & exercises you do lol!
    I'll take a copy of those worksheets and exercises as well!

chai22 said:

Default Romanian at UCLA

Well, the teacher doesn't really prepare her own worksheets. I've found that I've had to do a lot of studying on my own to teach my self.

The worth of the class, however, is that the advanced tutorial is conducted completely in Romanian. We read things in class; have to translate them on the spot; answer questions about the reading on the spot; rephrase and summarise things. So, it keeps us on our toes. UCLA offers intensive Romanian during the summer, but I found that it was too basic for my level.

Anyhow, the advanced tutorial was using a book called Colloquial Romanian. It's an okay book and one can purchase it from any of the major book retailers on-line. However, I really liked this book from the 70's published in Romania called « Limbă Română pentru studenți străini ». Also, I recently borrowed three books from the UCLA library, which has quite a selection of good Romanian books :
    1. Romanian Textbook - Alexandra Roceric (from the States)
    2. Gramatica Limbii Române fără Profesor - Mircea Goga (from Romania)
    3. Gramatica uzuală a limbii române (from Moldova and so far my favourite grammar book ! )

In terms of trying to set up a structure for my self, I've actually tried to use my French textbook as a basis and then accordingly tried to learn the corresponding grammar points and thematic vocabulary in Romanian. Of course, Romanian grammar is much more complex so it doesn't always fit together one-to-one.

One can download a comprehensive Romanian grammar in PDF format at the following link :
    http://www.seelrc.org:8080/grammar/p...e_romanian.pdf

Other than that, my music playlist is 90% Romanian songs. Music is what got me interested in Romanian and music is what made me realise what a brilliant language Romanian is.

I have one Romanian friend and that is all. I wish I had more in LA !

Hope this helps.

Btw, Mike, you should check out NOPTILE ROMANESTE on the web and on Facebook. They have parties in New York all the time.

DeBaires said:

Wow, thanks so much for all the info! I too got into the language because of the music, haha. & I also have only one Romanian friend, here in LA, lol.

Again, thank you!
    Nu ştiu de ce lupt aşa pentru tine.
    Ti it l'avěe tut ma adess 't as nen gnente.
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

mike123 said:

Hi Chai,

Yes as DeBaires said. Thanks so much for the info!

I am familiar with the Stand Alone Romanian pdf. It is an excellent resource.

I met/played a Romanian in online chess 2 years ago and that was my first exposer to the language. He translated two IMs I received one day out of the blue. Then he told me about a song from a Romanian band he liked.

I've met some other Romanians since then. In July of this year I found myself on a plane heading there to spend the 23 days that followed. Sadly, I couldn't meet my friend when I was in Brasov, his home town. He was having internet problems during the days I needed to get a hold of him.

I don't know any Romanians here except my Romanian tutor. She is nice, but not a friend though.

I will check out the books you've mentioned and the facebook page. It would be nice to know some Romanians here in NY. Aside from my lessons, I pretty much only speak Romanian in my mind and through my fingers. Quite poorly too :P. I don't mind though. I can't imagine letting go of it any time soon so I'll get it eventually.

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Mike

20. xokayleemarlania said:

Just wanted to volunteer my services as well I'm American, but I lived in Romania for a year. If anyone needs any help translating songs or anything, just let me know