Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

baby_girl_ said:

Cu placere smfc, Merry Xmas to you too

FlyAwaySmiling said:

With pleasure, CJ1978...Good luck again and if you need help w/ Romanian in the future, we'd love to help you !
    "Life is not about the numbers of breaths you take, but more about the moments which take your breath away"...

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Tranducere vă rog:

"Scenariu cu reni si sanie

Pe cand avea noua ani si se considera prea mare sa mai creada in Mos Craciun, Elena Gheorghe a trait cea mai spectaculoasa experienta din viata ei. In seara de Ajun, tatal ei a chemat-o afara, in curte, moment in care, din spatele casei a aterizat sub privirile ei o sanie trasa de reni din care a coborat Mosul. "Atunci am inceput sa cred din nou. Nu stiu cum au reusit ai mei sa realizeze acel scenariu, cert este ca a fost atat de veridic incat nici in ziua de azi nu stiu ce sa cred. A fost un vis!", ne-a marturisit Elena. "

FlyAwaySmiling said:

Scenario with reindeer and sleigh

When she was nine and considered herself too big to believe in Santa Claus, Elena Gheorghe lived the most spectacular experience of her life. In the Christmas Eve evening, her dad asked her to come outside, in the courtyard, when in the back of the house a sleigh pulled by reindeer from which Santa came out , landed under her eyes. "Then I started to believe again. I do not know how my folks managed to make that scenario, the fact is that it was so truthful that even today I do not know what to believe. It was a dream!" confessed Elena.

Mary Xmas everyone, by the way!
    "Life is not about the numbers of breaths you take, but more about the moments which take your breath away"...

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Multumesc foarte mult.
    I kinda got the message through Google but the part about it "landing" under her eyes concerned me. I thought, "Surely a Santa didn't just drop down from the sky in her courtyard..."
    It makes more sense now. Thanks.

Yeah, "craciun fericit" everyone!

FlyAwaySmiling said:

glad I helped...it surely is an interesting story I didn't know yet, quite cool parents, huh?
    Merry Xmas to you too!

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

For the 2 uses of "poftim" my book says "Poftim?" when you want something repeated (as in "Pardon?" in English) and "poftim" as in "here you are" in English. - So does the 2nd meaning mean "here you are" like when you are presenting someone with something? Similar to the French "voila" ?

mike123 said:

Quote Originally Posted by smfc_stevo_smfc View Post
    For the 2 uses of "poftim" my book says "Poftim?" when you want something repeated (as in "Pardon?" in English) and "poftim" as in "here you are" in English. - So does the 2nd meaning mean "here you are" like when you are presenting someone with something? Similar to the French "voila" ?
    I believe you are correct for both of them. I'm not sure of voila though. I just don't know about its usage.

Poftim is like "what?" as in "What did you say?" and also like "here you are / Here you go." When you hand something to someone.

i'm interested to hear any other usages that might exist for this word.
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decât răspunsul.

FlyAwaySmiling said:

Yes, "poftim" can also mean voila.
    You can also use it to express that you are upset about a situation and acuse the one responsable for it, in a sentence like "Ei, poftim!"( where "ei" is a interjection, not a pronoun), that is translated roughly as "Now look what happened!" . I'm not very good at explaining, but "ei, poftim!" is very simillar to "uite!", "asta-i buna!" or "na!".

If anybody can explain it better, please do !

krityx said:

Quote Originally Posted by FlyAwaySmiling View Post
    Yes, "poftim" can also mean voila.
    You can also use it to express that you are upset about a situation and acuse the one responsable for it, in a sentence like "Ei, poftim!"( where "ei" is a interjection, not a pronoun), that is translated roughly as "Now look what happened!" . I'm not very good at explaining, but "ei, poftim!" is very simillar to "uite!", "asta-i buna!" or "na!".

If anybody can explain it better, please do !
    true, I remember my mother used that expression whenever I screwed something up

but, and this is just my opinion, poftim and voila differ a bit,they don't mean exactly the same thing. poftim, I think, is more personal as in you give something to someone, or in the case of the aforementioned ei,poftim! the person you're talking to has done something etc. whereas voila is more general, like voila something happened but it's not necessarily related to you or the person you're talking with. Of course voila can mean the same as poftim in some cases but not in all of them.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

La mulţi ani tuturor!
    Or should I say "an nou fericit!" ?

tigress_tim said:

E bine oricum

La multi ani & Un An Nou Fericit si tie la fel
    " Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive. "

mike123 said:

can someone please help me understand the differences between "apoi" and "atunci"?

Thank you

krityx said:

they are both translated by then in english but they have different meanings
    apoi - then as in something that happened after something else. - I ate and then I went to sleep. - Am mancat si apoi m-am culcat.

atunci - can either mean:
    then as sometime in the past. - Things were different back then-Lucrurile erau diferite atunci.
    or
    then, that is followed by a consequence of something else. If you dont do this then we won't be friends anymore - Daca nu faci asta atunci nu vom mai fi prieteni

mike123 said:

thank you krityx! this understanding is very helpful.

ps. I saw opeth in sibiu

CJ1978 said:

Hey Everyone

Question-how would I find the lyrics in Romanian for this song by Nicolae Guta? I think it is called "firar mama ei de viata"
    I love it and the video-so funny. I have had the song explained to me but I would like to read the lyrics so I can try to understand it for myself and maybe even sing along...oh dear maybe not a good idea!!

Thanks

tigress_tim said:

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1978 View Post
    Hey Everyone

Question-how would I find the lyrics in Romanian for this song by Nicolae Guta? I think it is called "firar mama ei de viata"
    I love it and the video-so funny. I have had the song explained to me but I would like to read the lyrics so I can try to understand it for myself and maybe even sing along...oh dear maybe not a good idea!!

Thanks
    here it is

Nicolae Guta – Fir-ar mama ei de viata

Fir-ar mama ei de viata,
    C-am baut si vad in ceata,
    Incep norii sa se adune,
    Zici ca sunt pe alta lume.

Merg pe langa drum si ma tin de gard, cand beau,
    Ca ma doare inima
    Lacrimile imi curg cand ma rog la cer, si intreb,
    Unde Doamne e casa mea.
    x2

Fir-ar mama ei de viata,
    Incep norii sa se adune,
    x2

Stau pe iarba jos cu privirea in sus,
    Si incerc sa vorbesc cu cineva,
    Sa-i spun oful meu, ca am baut si mi-e greu,
    Dar nu asculta nimenea.
    x2

Fir-ar mama ei de viata,
    Incep norii sa se adune,
    x2
    " Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive. "

CJ1978 said:

Thankyou Tigress Tim-I am excited now to listen and sing...oh dear my poor neighbours!!
    :-)

gossip-girl said:

quick help needed! how should it be: locuiesc or locuesc? first one sounds and looks correct for me, but an online disctionary I'm using claims it should be "locuesc"... I'm confused!

20. Lady_A said:

It's "locuiesc".