Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

gossip-girl said:

multumesc

tigress_tim said:

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1978 View Post
    Thankyou Tigress Tim-I am excited now to listen and sing...oh dear my poor neighbours!!
    :-)
    LOL! u'r welcome!
    " Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive. "

CJ1978 said:

Hi, how do I say it's politeness? Or good manners? And then also how would I say that something is rude or bad manners? =) trying to teach something about Scottish customs and our ways to my boyfriend. Our cultures seem so different but I find it exciting to learn about a new one. And to teach about mine.

4. dya said:

Nice conversation! Keep going cause it's interesting to read

First of all, to answer the question that generated your discussion:

politeness = politețe

polite= politicos (masc) & politicoasă (feminine)

politely = politicos (the same word like for the masculine adjective)

rude<-> impolite = nepoliticos/ nepoliticoasă

good manners = bunele maniere

bad manners = actually we don't have a fixed expression, we say lack of manners = lipsă de maniere

And to add to your conversation, yes, it's true: we don't use so many te rog & multumesc in contexts like the one you mentioned. Usually we use it only once.

For example, if we want the shop assistant to show us various items, we don't say te rog after each request. We say it at the beginning: can you show me that, please? And that. And that. We don't usually say please after each request. At the end we say thank you. Basically, we consider that the initial please goes for the whole trouble the person goes through for us and the final thank you is for all of their help, not for each and every gesture.

Of couse you'll meet people who use a lot of please & thank you and you'll meet people who never say it. For the first lot we say they have very good manners, for the second lot we simply assume they're rude and have no basic education.

Anything else you'd like to know?

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Interesting. It is interesting and seems more sensible to just say "please" for everything at the beginning and "thank you" for everything at the end.

What is the most common 2nd language in Romania and how many people speak it?

6. dya said:

I honestly can't answer this question because I don't think we have an official report on this issue.

We have only one official language in Romania but we also have minorities and I believe you can judge by their number and draw a conclusion as to what other language is spoken by a certain number of people.

Then again, English is compulsory in schools so if you consider all the pupils, students and graduates of the last, let's say, 15 years, you will come up with a big number of people who were exposed to English. Are all of them afluent or active users? Hard to tell. For some of them it was just another subject in school for some others it became something they use on a daily basis.

Maybe somebody else here knows some exact data on this matter.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

The data wasn't really important. Just a rough idea really. Mersi.

Is English the main foreign language that is taught or is it Spanish/French?

At what age do children start learning English?

countingstars said:

Hello there
    The main foreign language is English
    Usually, the second languages are French and German. Of course, there are exceptions too.
    Children start learning English in kindergarten or in the 1st year of school.

9. dya said:

Ok, CJ1978, I'm back and ready to answer your question

You heard it right, asha it's written așa and it is used in a variety of contexts:

primary meaning would be : this way, like this.
    Am făcut așa - I did like this. I did this way.

but if you say:

Am făcut așa cum mi-ai spus- I did as you told me

Așa translated as That/This is what in contexts like:

Așa am auzit- This is what I heard

așa is also used when you agree, as you said: ok, uh huh, etc

așa și așa - so and so

așa de frumos - so beautiful

If I remember something else I will add it

P.S. Congratulations on your success in teaching your boyfriend English. I assume he's also impresed with your desire of learning Romanian

slatka_mala said:

hi.. i am just writing my homework for Romanian and have to write family of words for frumos ( i found frumusețe, frumușel... ) and vedea ( found a se vedea, a revedea, vedere.... ) any more suggestions? and i have to write sentences, for example Această fată este foarte frumoasă....
    ....Cānd merg izolat pe stradă, pășesc investit de umbre!!!!...

countingstars said:

frumos - a infrumuseta (verb)
    - infrumusetare

a vedea - revedere, prevedere

ellenatr said:

Hiiii!!

How do you say "Hi (to) everybody" and "I missed you so much"???

thx!!

FlyAwaySmiling said:

"Hi to everybody!"-"Salutare tuturor!"
    "I missed you so much!"- "Mi-a fost foarte/tare dor de tine!" (If you refer to you as only one person)
    "I missed you so much!" -"Mi-a fost foarte/tare dor de voi!" (If you use "you" refering to more than one person)
    "Life is not about the numbers of breaths you take, but more about the moments which take your breath away"...

ellenatr said:

Multumesc foarte mult FlyAwaySmiling!!!

CJ1978 said:

Talking

Hi
    Can someone tell me what "mai stai mult" means please?
    Thanks

mike123 said:

hmmm, maybe "stay longer"? But wait for a native to answer because I'm not sure.
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decāt răspunsul.

mike123 said:

așa și așa - so and so

Although it literally translates to "So and so", in english, the phrase 'so and so' is used when informally talking about people.

For example, "so and so when to the store". (like saying that one and that one)

Btw, i've always thought this is the dumbest expression. My mother used to use it all the time.

I thought aşa şi aşa can be an answer to:

Ce mai faci? aşa şi aşa.
    How are you? so-so.

@Stevo - I haven't forgotten about your cds, i've just had the busiest week at work in addition to being sick. I'm past all of that now and will get back to you soon.
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decāt răspunsul.

smileygal said:

hiyya everyone.
    this is soooo cool. i am glad that people want to learn our language and all of you guys are doing an amazing job. you should become real teachers()

eu stau in brisbane australia si ultima data cand am fost in rominia a fost anul trecut in iulie

maybe for anyone who wants to learn more romanian i will tell you the months of the year!!

January: Ianuarie
    February: Februarie
    March: Martie
    April: Aprilie
    May: Mai
    June: Iunie
    July: Iulie
    August: August
    September: Septembrie
    October: Octombrie
    November: Noiembrie
    December: Decembrie

Hope it came to use!!
    Btw i miss the snow because in australia its sooo warm!!!

smileygal said:

hiyya everyone!!!
    well i'm a native living in australia but i can answer your question CJ1978
    like mike said its something like stay longer but the real meaning is are you staying longer!!
    if you have any questions u can ask me if u like!!!
    xoxox smileygal

CJ1978 said:

Thanks Smileygal and Mike123