Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    @Stevo - I haven't forgotten about your cds, i've just had the busiest week at work in addition to being sick. I'm past all of that now and will get back to you soon.
    No problem

mike123 said:

Quote Originally Posted by smileygal View Post
    eu stau in brisbane australia si ultima data cand am fost in rominia a fost anul trecut in iulie
    Btw i miss the snow because in australia its sooo warm!!!
    @smileygal

Ai fost in romania iulie 2009? A fost primul si ultima data cand am fost acolo. Mi-e dor de romania acum. :-< As placea sa vad muntii cu zapada.

Dar nu-mi-e dor de zapada sau de frigul. Aici in new york era foarte frig.

@CJ1987 - cu placere!
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decāt răspunsul.

CJ1978 said:

Hi more questions from me every day, I just spoke with my friend and asked her "ce faci" which I thought means what are you doing? But she answered bine, so does this mean how are you? So what I am asking is does:

Ce mai faceti = how are you?

and

Ce Faci = what are you doing?

or how do I say and spell these expression accurately?

And also how do I say

"it's true"

and

"hopefully or I hope so"

Multumesc!

mike123 said:

Ce mai faceţi? how are you doing? (to someone with respect or to a group=
    ce mai face? how are you doing? (casual)

Ce faci? what are you doing?

E adevărul / adevărul = it' true(It's the truth / the truth)

Sper = (I hope)

For "Hopefully" and "I hope so" I'm not sure of. Maybe a native can teach us.

kmmy said:

hi

ce faci? means both how are you? and what are you doing. usualy used with no words after it is understood as how are you.

it's true = e adevarat

@mike123: the truth is ... = adevarul e ca ...

hopefully and i hope so are used as sper ca and sper

exemples:
    1. hopefully i will not get caught = sper ca nu voi fi prinsa

2. you will pass the exam = vei lua examenul
    - i hope so = sper

hopefully i helped

6. exit said:

buna!

am gasit website-ul asta de accident si e foarte bine ca exista asa ceva - e foarte util pentru cei ce ar vrea sa vorbesc romaneste. nu am invatat limba asta de mult deci iertati-ma - inteleg, dar nu ma descurc prea bine cred ca si eu o sa scriu aici din cand in cand, pentru ca am nevoie de "training" sau ceva de genu

salutari din slovacia

7. emyiakab said:

Smile dear Mike

Dear Mike, I am sorry for my long absence, let me explain to u some things:

"Ai fost in romania iulie 2009? A fost primul si ultima data cand am fost acolo. Mi-e dor de romania acum. :-< As placea sa vad muntii cu zapada.

Dar nu-mi-e dor de zapada sau de frigul. Aici in new york era foarte frig."

U can not say ''a fost primul" when r refer to "data" because "primul" is a masculine form while data is e feminine one!!!So, u say ''e prima si ultima data''
    And ''frig'' needs no article here, it is just frig!!!

The verb "a placea" is always accompanied by the shortened forms of pronoun, so correct is "Mi-ar placea". Anything else u want to know just ask!
    But u spelled correctly ''mi-e'' and plural for of ''munte'' and sometimes even Romanians misspell these!So, u r doing better and better.

8. emyiakab said:

Welcome to all new here!If you are all glad you found this site, we are all glad to see how many want to learn our language.You will get answers in short time, someone is always watching you even if the others are sleeping)
    Just ask and we will all do our best to help you.Dya is ''the eye of the tiger'' here and she is indeed the best, but even the rest of us can often offer some help.

mike123 said:

i don't think I understand "nu-i aşa". Can someone help me? My intuition says it should mean "It's not that". But i'm not confident with this.

Catalin said:

,,Nu-i aşa" usually means indeed ,,it's not that" as in ,,it's not true". In a conversation- when you are arguing with someone - you can use ,,nu-i aşa!" with the meaning ,,you are wrong!"(..and consequently.. I am right!

FlyAwaySmiling said:

The expression '' nu-i aşa '' is the equivalent of the English expression "isn't it" or "am I right?".

Example : Romānia este o ţară frumoasă, nu-i aşa?
    Romania is a beautiful country, isn't it?"

But it can be used in a different context, and I'll explain it right now. The word "nu-i" is what we call "o ortograma". "Ortograma" is a term composed of two different words pronounced in the same syllabus and connected by a "-".
    "nu-i aşa'' = nu este aşa (it's not like this)

So we can use it in contexts like:
    a.A: Īn zilele noastre contează doar banii. (Today, money is all that matters.)
    B: Nu-i aşa! (You're not right!)
    Meaning "the situation is not like you describe it."

b.A:Toţi prietenii tăi s-au dovedit a fi proşti. (All of your boyfriends turned out to be stupid.)
    B:El nu-i/ nu e aşa. (He isn't like this.)
    Meaning "the person isn't what you described it to be."\

Hope you understand

EDIT: I saw Catalin answered you and managed to say all the things I tried to explain here in two phrases :O. I'll have to work on being more concise .
    "Life is not about the numbers of breaths you take, but more about the moments which take your breath away"...

mike123 said:

thank you very much catalin and flyawaysmiling!!
    Last edited by mike123; 01-23-2010 at 10:31 AM.

FlyAwaySmiling said:

You're welcome !
    "Life is not about the numbers of breaths you take, but more about the moments which take your breath away"...

CJ1978 said:

Buna Dimineata

Question-is this a word "anseamna"? 2nd question-if it is a word then what does it mean?

And how do I say washing machine? As in the appliance, would masina de spalat be correct?

:-)

maria_gr said:

Quote Originally Posted by CJ1978 View Post
    Buna Dimineata

Question-is this a word "anseamna"? 2nd question-if it is a word then what does it mean?

And how do I say washing machine? As in the appliance, would masina de spalat be correct?

:-)
    No anseamna is not correct, I guess you meant īnsemna=to mean.
    For example ce īnsemna=what does it mean?

Maşină de spălat is correct.

P.S. Maybe I'm wrong cause I am not Romanian
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

tigress_tim said:

Yes Maria u'r right !

Just one minor mistake ...
    ce īnseamnă = what does it mean ?

.. what you wrote = > ce īnsemna = what did it mean? ( it's past tense)
    " Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive. "

maria_gr said:

Thank you tigress!
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

CJ1978 said:

Thanks Tigress Tim and Maria gr

Catalin said:

http://www.agonia.net/index.php/essa...anian_Language
    I find this interesting and maybe it will be usefull for understanding certain aspects.

20. Euridike said:

I have a question

While talking about possesions, is there any difference in usage of sau and lui/ei?
    For example, if I want to say "George is looking at his watch", I can say "George se uită la ceasul său" either "George se uită la ceasul lui"? Is this optional?

One more question: is there any significant difference between "mă duc" and "merg"? I have impression that verb "a merge" has wider meaning, for example "nu merge" means "it's not working". Is there anything else?

Thanks in advance