Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

dragonfly93 said:

What does "era cazută de pe-o stea" mean? I understand the general meaning, but does it mean "she fell on a star" or "from a star"?

Mersi!

P.S. It's from the song "Sare Sare", by DJ Mahay and Cezarmonic, send me a PM if you want the mp3 file.
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

countingstars said:

It means 'she was fallen off a star'

dragonfly93 said:

Mulțumesc! I haven't gotten the hang of prepositions yet...

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Mersi Mike. I tried google translator and it came up with nothing. I'm slightly baffled though because previously her website said she was half Romanian and half Aromanian. So now she is half Transylvanian and half Romanian... Ahhh! I'm confused!

5. dya said:

Ok, let me help you: she is half Romanian, half Aromanian. Ardeal (Transilvania) is one of the regions in Romania. Romania has more regions and the people from each region are refered to by their region's name. Like anywhere else in this world.

You call people who live in Texas, for example, Texans, but at the same time they're Americans. If someone is half American, half Mexican (let's say), you could describe that person as :
    half American, half Mexican
    or
    half Texan, half Mexican

In any case, you understand the same thing.

The same is with ardeleanca & romanca. When you use ardeleanca you also point from which region of Romania she is.

mike123 said:

iti multumesc Dya
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decât răspunsul.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Ah... Right. It all makes sense now!
    Multumesc.

Even though it says she is half Romanian and half Aromanian, her nationality is Romanian because she is from the country Romania but her ethnicity is half Aromanian because Aromanian is an ethnicity and they don't have a country of their own. Right?

dragonfly93 said:

That sounds right.

9. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by smfc_stevo_smfc View Post
    Multumesc.

Even though it says she is half Romanian and half Aromanian, her nationality is Romanian because she is from the country Romania but her ethnicity is half Aromanian because Aromanian is an ethnicity and they don't have a country of their own. Right?
    Exactly! Mystery solved

Catalin said:

Mersi Mike. I tried google translator and it came up with nothing. I'm slightly baffled though because previously her website said she was half Romanian and half Aromanian. So now she is half Transylvanian and half Romanian... Ahhh! I'm confused!
    Aromanii are romanians from across the Danube. They are down south, as you scots say about englishmen.
    South of the Danube River there are plenty of romanians comunities, as this is the speciallyty of the Balkans. They call themselves aromani, meglenoromani, istroromani and they live in countries like Greeece, Serbia, Bulgaria, Macedonia and Albania. Their language is slightly different of romanian as it is an old dialect of romanian.
    They were shepards, merchents and wariors and are known for their welth.

mike123 said:

Multumesc.

btw stevo, I used dexonline.ro to read the answer. And i found that if you put the page address into google translator, you get a better understanding for a word because it is an actual definition you are reading.

dragonfly93 said:

That's a good idea... I have like 3 Romanian dictionaries installed on my iPod, but the entire definitions are in Romanian, too!

Layla said:

Hello! A new thread has been opened here, so you can talk in English! This one is for questions related to Romanian language!

Dvid said:

Default mă, te, il, etc. after the verb

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the form of the verbs which are followed bz mă, te, il, o, ne, vă, îl and le. Like for example prinde mă. This indicates that you are commanding someone to catch you. Any of you know whats the rule to use this form of a verb? Like how to conjugate the verb in case of each person?

Thanks,

dragonfly93 said:

Hi Dvid,

I think you may mean that you use the command form for the verb and the correct pronoun for the person receiving the action. Or did you mean something else?

mike123 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Dvid View Post
    Hi guys,

I have a question regarding the form of the verbs which are followed bz mă, te, il, o, ne, vă, îl and le. Like for example prinde mă. This indicates that you are commanding someone to catch you. Any of you know whats the rule to use this form of a verb? Like how to conjugate the verb in case of each person?

Thanks,
    For this you use the Imperitive form of the verb which is in the second person.

. prinde-mă = catch me
    . iartă-mă = forgive me
    etc.

But sometimes you also use the dative when it is appropriate.

. ascultă-mi = listen to me
    . spune-mi = tell (to) me

And with reflexive pronouns

. Aminteşte-ţi = Remember! (a-şi aminti)

Be careful with -o, this is used normally at the end of a verb in the past tense.

. am iubit-o = I loved her

But as a command...

. ajută-o = help her

Maybe a native could clarify better. this is my understanding so maybe we'll both learn.

dragonfly93 said:

I would like to know, also! And what is the use of îi, îl, îmi, and îți? Can I have a comprehensive list of all pronouns in all parts of speech in Romanian, vă rog?

Mulțumesc!

mike123 said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    I would like to know, also! And what is the use of îi, îl, îmi, and îți? Can I have a comprehensive list of all pronouns in all parts of speech in Romanian, vă rog?

Mulțumesc!
    They are pronouns used in the dative forms. Romanian has both stressed and unstressed (and i'm still getting used to them).

dative Unstressed.
    . îmi, îţi, îi, ne, vă and le = (I, you, he-she, we, you all, him-her-they (3rd pers plur))

Dative stressed
    . mie, ţie, lui, ei, nouă, vouă and lor

- îl comes from the pronoun set used for the accusative (also stressed and unstressed)

Accusative Unstressed:
    mă, te, îl, o, ne, vă, îi and le

Accusative stressed:
    (pe) mine, (pe) tine, (pe) el, (pe) ea, (pe) noi, (pe)voi, (pe) ei and (pe) ele

- For the nominative case, romanian pronouns are these:
    Eu, tu, el-ea, noi, voi ei-ele

- There are also two sets of Reflexive pronouns. One for the accusative and one for dative.

Reflexive-Accusative
    mă, te, se, ne, vă, se

Reflexive-Dative
    îmi, îţi, îşi, ne, vă, îşi

- You know if you use these by knowing the infinitive.

an infinitive using Refl-Acc:
    (a se duce)
    (eu) mă duc
    (tu) te duci
    (el-ea) se duce
    etc...

an infinitive using Refl-Dative
    (a-şi aminte)
    (eu) îmi amintesc
    (tu) îţi aminteşti
    (el-ea) îşi aminteşte
    etc....

I hope a native can correct me or, if i've been of some help then add to what i've written.
    Last edited by mike123; 02-14-2010 at 08:44 PM.

dragonfly93 said:

knew there were different cases, but was unsure if pronouns because I didn't have a list! Thanks!

dragonfly93 said:

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Euridike View Post
    I have a question

While talking about possesions, is there any difference in usage of sau and lui/ei?
    For example, if I want to say "George is looking at his watch", I can say "George se uită la ceasul său" either "George se uită la ceasul lui"? Is this optional?

One more question: is there any significant difference between "mă duc" and "merg"? I have impression that verb "a merge" has wider meaning, for example "nu merge" means "it's not working". Is there anything else?

Thanks in advance
    I thought a uita meant to forget.