Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None
  1. Lady_A said:

I guess in both, but I was reffering to Moldova, in Romania.

dragonfly93 said:

Question

Oh, ok wasn't sure!

Hey, I know this is a geography question but please tell me if I get this correct: Republic of Moldova is a country, and the region of Moldavia is within present-day Moldova, Romania, and Ukraine. Moldova refers to the country, and Moldavia refers to the region across from the country of Moldova (that is across the Prut River from Romania), and (Moldavia) is part of Romania proper... I hope I have that right!! I'm good at geography, but still don't understand this Moldova-Moldavia confusion because people tend to use them interchangeably (and, in my opinion, incorrectly)--no offense to you guys, I just mean in general!

On the same note, when is someone/something Moldavian and when is it Moldovan (or isn't it)???

Mulțumesc foarte mult
    Last edited by dragonfly93; 02-20-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

3. Lady_A said:

Geographically speaking, the western part of Moldavia (the terrirtory that is limited by the Carpathian Mountains to the West, the Cheremosh River to the North, the Dniester River to the East and the Danube and Black Sea to the South) is now part of Romania and the eastern part belongs to the Republic of Moldova, while the northern and south-eastern parts are territories of Ukraine.

When we say Moldova, we usually reffer to the territory in Romania, and when we reffer to the state, we call it The Republic of Moldova.

About the Moldavian and Moldovan thing, I guess we just use them interchangeably...

Hope I've clarified at least a little bit the matter.

dragonfly93 said:

Thank you, Lady A!

dragonfly93 said:

Hi, I have yet another question (sorry!), is it more correct to say "învăț românește" or "învăț română"?

Also, when you want to direct thanks at someone, do you say "mulțumesc pe..." ???? Sorry for the endless questions!
    Last edited by dragonfly93; 02-22-2010 at 07:21 PM.

mike123 said:

I believe învăţ română is correct.

And to say thanks to someone, i'm aware of saying mulţumesc or îţi mulţumesc or vă mulţumesc (if addressing someone with respect). I'm not sure about using "pe" with this. Hopefully a Romanian can clarify.
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decât răspunsul.

7. rudaire said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    By the way, is there a difference between "româneste" and "română" when referring to the language?
    Româneşte is an adverb. The question "vorbeşti româneşte?" means 'do you speak in the romanian WAY. Just as the word fast in the sentence "do you run fast?" modifies the word run, the word româneşte modifies the verb vorbeşti.

Română and românească are both adjectives. I believe the shorter one is only used when referring to people.. ie.. Am o prietenă română (i have a <female> romanian friend)
    Am o carte românească. I have a romanian book..

the shorter form, română, is also used when referring to 'official' romanian things, or important romanian things, like the romanian railway "calea ferată română" or like you asked, the romanian language, limba română.

do not forget the noun, româncă. Eşti româncă?? Are you a 'romanian female person'.. All one noun.. like 'eşti un om român? or eşti o persoană romănă?.

român is a little tricky because it can be both an adjective and a noun.

I've stuck my neck out here.. I'm an american who's studied the language for 3 years now.. We'll know if i've made a mistake after the experts review this...

dave
    Last edited by rudaire; 02-26-2010 at 02:20 PM. Reason: addition to explanation

dragonfly93 said:

Rudaire, thank you for the effort. I've only been studying on my own time since December!

krityx said:

Quote Originally Posted by rudaire View Post
    Româneşte is an adverb. The question "vorbeşti româneşte?" means 'do you speak in the romanian WAY. Just as the word fast in the sentence "do you run fast?" modifies the word run, the word româneşte modifies the verb vorbeşti.

Română and românească are both adjectives. I believe the shorter one is only used when referring to people.. ie.. Am o prietenă română (i have a <female> romanian friend)
    Am o carte românească. I have a romanian book..

the shorter form, română, is also used when referring to 'official' romanian things, or important romanian things, like the romanian railway "calea ferată română" or like you asked, the romanian language, limba română.

do not forget the noun, româncă. Eşti româncă?? Are you a 'romanian female person'.. All one noun.. like 'eşti un om român? or eşti o persoană romănă?.

român is a little tricky because it can be both an adjective and a noun.

I've stuck my neck out here.. I'm an american who's studied the language for 3 years now.. We'll know if i've made a mistake after the experts review this...

dave
    you're right about everything except "Am o prietenă română". româncă is actually the feminine form of român so you should say Am o prietena româncă.

10. dya said:

Excelent explanation, Rudaire The only mistake is the one Krityx pointed out: româncă is a noun and it is the feminine word for "Romanian woman". (Meaning that in Romanian is redundant to say femeie româncă - the literal translation of the words Romanian + woman, since the word româncă incorporates both pieces of information)

You also use it when you want to speak about a friend who is a Romanian woman: prietenă româncă. (here it functions as an adjective)

dragonfly93 said:

Hey everyone, I will post a nice link later for some great Romanian files, PDFs, and Docs.

dragonfly93 said:

By the way, is there a rule for when to use "voi" and "voiesc", etc.?

dragonfly93 said:

Romanian Verbs: The Stress of the Romanian Verb
    Learning Romanian: MD Romanian Language Lessons
    Romanian Verb Conjugation: On the Structure of Syncretism in Romanian Conjugation
    Romanian Worksheets: Romanian Materials for teaching

I hope these are helpful to those of us who are learning

mike123 said:

these are great! thanks dragonfly!

If you (or anyone) have or will come across any exercise books (preferably free and more advance) with an answer sheet to go along, can you please please pleaaaaase post it!

I've been looking for somethign like this but I haven't found anything. I'd love to get my hands on a students text book from school!

Any Romanians want to part with theirs? Maybe I'll pay if the price is good and you can send it to me.

dragonfly93 said:

Same for me, Mike But these files were all I found... So if anyone hears of a website link for an actual real Romanian lesson, post here please

By the way... Anyone wants the pre-downloaded PDFs, PM me
    Last edited by dragonfly93; 03-02-2010 at 07:32 PM.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_A View Post
    Geographically speaking, the western part of Moldavia (the terrirtory that is limited by the Carpathian Mountains to the West, the Cheremosh River to the North, the Dniester River to the East and the Danube and Black Sea to the South) is now part of Romania and the eastern part belongs to the Republic of Moldova, while the northern and south-eastern parts are territories of Ukraine.

When we say Moldova, we usually reffer to the territory in Romania, and when we reffer to the state, we call it The Republic of Moldova.

About the Moldavian and Moldovan thing, I guess we just use them interchangeably...

Hope I've clarified at least a little bit the matter.
    I found on Wikipedia that Moldavia (the region) is "Moldova" in Romanian. Perhaps it's a language place name mix up thing?

dragonfly93 said:

Quote Originally Posted by smfc_stevo_smfc View Post
    I found on Wikipedia that Moldavia (the region) is "Moldova" in Romanian. Perhaps it's a language place name mix up thing?
    For that matter, one could argue that the Republic of Moldova is known as "Moldavia" in Russian! It's different in every language, so I guess it's not totally critical. Îmi pare rău for the confusion that I seem to have caused about it, tot nu înțeleg!
    Last edited by dragonfly93; 03-03-2010 at 07:11 PM.

18. delduvath said:

Hello everyone,
    One more romanian on the forum and willing to help out :P
    @dragonfly93 In the sentence you've used "încă nu mai înțeleg" should be "tot nu înțeleg" (meaning "i still don't understand")

"încă nu înțeleg" should be used in the following case:
    When explaining something to another person and you ask him/her:
    înțelegi? (Do you understand?)
    încă nu înțeleg (I don't understand yet)

nu mai înțeleg (nimic) - I can't understand anything (anymore)

Regarding "încă nu mai înțeleg", well thats just incorrect :P (as far as i know)

cheers, del

EDIT:I realize that's easier for one to learn the Romanian language by speaking to someone else, so if anyone wants to, feel free to contact me via ym
    Last edited by delduvath; 03-03-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Additional info

mike123 said:

thanks for the explanation del. but why is "încă nu mai înţeleg" incorrect?

Is it a rule not to use încă and mai together?

dragonfly93 said:

As far as I know they can be used consecutively, as in " încă mai sper".

Mulțumesc, Del