Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None
  1. delduvath said:

1). "încă nu înțeleg" - the action of understanding (a înțelege) didn't happen yet, but is likely to happen in the near future.
    2). "nu mai înţeleg" - the action of understanding has happened in the past, but due to new informations added the subject doesn't understand anymore. (the action of understanding has stopped)
    3). "încă mai înțeleg" - the action of understanding has happened in the past, continues to happen in the present, but the future is uncertain.
    1). "tot nu înțeleg" - the action of not understanding has happened in the past and continues to happen in the present, again the future is uncertain

Both "mai" and "încă" are used to denote a repetitive action that has happened in the past and continues to happen in the future; therefor "inca nu mai inteleg" is incorrect because it contains both an affirmative and a negative repetitive adv. in regards to the action of understanding ("încă" and "nu mai").

Mai

- adverb of comparison
    Mai bun = Better
    Mai frecvent = More frequently
    Te iubesc mai mult ca niciodată. = I love you more than ever.
    - used to form the superlative form of adverbs
    Tu ești cel mai bun/Tu ești cea mai bună (m/f) = You are the best.

Um, plenty more to write on these words, i'll be back when i get home, right now i need to leave my office.
    Pa pa (Bye bye)

mike123 said:

del, multumesc frumos pentru explicare dat. mai inteleg dar trebuie sa-l studiez.
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decât răspunsul.

dragonfly93 said:

Mulțumesc foarte mult, Del
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

What's the difference between "iubire" and "dragoste" ?

mike123 said:

i don't believe there is a difference. Just another way to say the same thing.

"iubirea mea" and "dragostea mea" mean the same thing.... My love.

smfc_stevo_smfc said:

Hmmm... Interesting... Mulțumesc, Mike.

mike123 said:

pentru nimic

dragonfly93 said:

There is only a slight difference: iubire comes from Russian, and it means love. Dragoste... I'm not sure of its origins, but it doesn't have an exact translation. It can be considered "dear" or "someone/thing cared for" or "the act of caring or loving, in a way close to coveting".

mike123 said:

I believe in Rom, Dragă/Drag is the word for "dear" according to your definition. Maybe dragoste also means this.

Draga mea - my dear (fem)
    dragul meu - my dear (masc)

dragonfly93 said:

Yes, that's pretty close to what I'm trying to say. But there's no exact definition...

kutekito said:

Isn't dragoste (or maybe dragostea) a noun whereas iubire is a verb? I think I asked a Romanian friend of mine before and the told me that but I'm not sure....

mike123 said:

Quote Originally Posted by kutekito View Post
    Isn't dragoste (or maybe dragostea) a noun whereas iubire is a verb? I think I asked a Romanian friend of mine before and the told me that but I'm not sure....
    "a iubi" is the verb form for "to love".

Eu iubesc, Tu iubeşti, el-ea iubeşte, noi iubim, voi iubiţi, ei-ele iubesc
    (I, you, he-she, we, you, they love)

There is also "a dragosti", but it isn't clear to me its usage.

"a se iubi" and "a se îndragosti" verbs used when saying fell in love with someone.

Please, if a native can assist this discussion as i'm never sure of anything.

dragonfly93 said:

Mike, from what I've found, you're correct.

dragonfly93 said:

By the way... Does the verb "învăța" mean "to teach", "to learn", or both?

mike123 said:

da, "a învăta" means both "to teach" and "to learn".

you can't learn to someone, so it makes sense if you think of it in these terms.

înveţi română - you learn romanian
    mă înveţi română - you teach me romanian

Romanian also has "a preda" for "to teach".

Profesorul predă română - the teacher teaches romanian.

* "a preda" is a new verb for me. So I'm not sure if you can say "te predau română" - (I teach you romanian). I'll ask someone tomorrow unless someone here answers before I can post.

ilus_lill said:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    There is only a slight difference: iubire comes from Russian, and it means love. Dragoste... I'm not sure of its origins, but it doesn't have an exact translation. It can be considered "dear" or "someone/thing cared for" or "the act of caring or loving, in a way close to coveting".
    Just wanted to say that "drag/draga" probably also has Russian origins as "dorogoi" means the same - "dear" or "expensive".

kmmy said:

Quote Originally Posted by kutekito View Post
    Both iubire and dragoste are nouns. As verbs they would be a iubi - to love and a fi indragostit - to be inloved.
    Now, as noun, many would be tempted to say that both mean love (which they do), but if you go deeper they are a bit different: dragoste appears at the begining , is the start of iubire, considered to be more superficial and it lasts less, while iubire is a more mature way of carrying about someone, takes some time to get to it, but is more profound than dragoste and also lasts more, even a lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    "a se iubi" and "a se îndragosti" verbs used when saying fell in love with someone.

a se iubi means to love itself while a se indragosti means to fell inlove with somebody

kmmy said:

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    da, "a învăta" means both "to teach" and "to learn".

you can't learn to someone, so it makes sense if you think of it in these terms.

înveţi română - you learn romanian
    mă înveţi română - you teach me romanian

Romanian also has "a preda" for "to teach".

Profesorul predă română - the teacher teaches romanian.

* "a preda" is a new verb for me. So I'm not sure if you can say "te predau română" - (I teach you romanian). I'll ask someone tomorrow unless someone here answers before I can post.

verry good mike

i only have a small correction: if you wanna use the verb a preda then the correct form is îţi predau română

the verb a preda is a homonym which means it is a word that has the same form and the same pronunciation with another word, but they have different meanings. So, a preda can mean to teach or to hand over/to deliver/to surrender

mike123 said:

I didn't know about iubire/dragoste differences. Thank you.

I suspected about "îţi predau română" but I get confused with it because I think "îţi învăţ" is incorrect.

dragonfly93 said:

Mulțumesc pe Kmmy și Mike