Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

mister Xazos said:

Quote Originally Posted by wolver99 View Post
    May I ask what is the Romanian word for 'hug'? I just can't find it anywhere, apparently what the dictionaries give is not the word used in everyday speech because neither of the two friends I've tried to say this to understand what I mean.

Also: how can I explain to someone in Romanian that I am using the current profits from a small business to reinvest in the business in order to keep it growing for the purpose of hopefully generating even better profits in the future?

TIA.

p.s. And Igrec, when you say "All I wish you is to come here and to make your dreams come true" in your post above....you have no idea how close to the mark, from this student's pov, you really came in making that statement. Would you mind translating that in Ro for me? Multumesc either way.
    Hug = îmbrăţişare

I am using the current profits from a small business to reinvest in the business in order to keep it growing for the purpose of hopefully generating even better profits in the future?
    =
    Folosesc profitul curent dintr-o afacere mică pentru a reînvesti în afacere cu scopul de a se mări şi de a-i creşte profitul pe viitor.

"All I wish you is to come here and to make your dreams come true"
    =
    "Tot ce îţi doresc este să ajungi aici şi îţi priveşti visele într-o zi ca fiind fapte împlinite."
    Πάρε φιλιά, πάρε καρδιά και μη νοιαστείς για μένα.
    Πάρε ό,τι ζει κι άσε με εκεί
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

mister Xazos said:

Este plăcerea mea wolver
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

3. Sahrian said:

Default O carte interesanta

To those seriously interested in learning/teaching languages, I introduce this interesting book: http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Lan.../dp/0130178160. The book is "Principles of Language Learning and Teaching" by H. Douglas Brown, a nice introduction to language learning/teaching methodology. If you want to know more details about the book or the author, search the internet.

4. Sahrian said:

Default O altă carte

"Româna cu sau fără profesor" ("Romanian With or Without a Teacher") by Liana Pop:
    http://subvertingcapitalism.blogspot...-profesor.html.
    Good introduction to Romanian laguage for absolute beginners. Be informed that the book uses the old spelling rules.

wolver99 said:

Quote Originally Posted by igrec View Post
    Este plăcerea mea wolver

Multumesc, Igrec, desigur.

How exactly are these two simple things translated:

ca va? (and) tu es chaud?

As usual, a case of conflicting explanations from other parties who may not know enough English to render those expressions in a colloquial enough way that is accurate?

Also:

1) You know, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure (and how might one say 'that's what I kinda thought,' where 'kinda' is a slangy colloquial contraction for 'kind of' or 'almost' or 'a bit similar but not quite'...is there a corresponding slangy word for our 'kinda'?)

2) I trust you...I don't trust him/you...do you trust me?

3) sometimes it catches me by surprise...sometimes some little thing you do just catches me by surprise

4) I'm a little busy tonight finishing up some weekend projects. And I spent too many pennies on silly things Saturday night. But soon, things will be getting a bit interesting...maybe even for you?

As always, prieteni meu, thanks...mai mult.

p.s. to Igrec, I tried to send you a private message but I'm not sure it worked so I sent it again...but the second time with a short 'p.s.' at the end. Did you receive either of these, I hope?
    Last edited by wolver99; 04-21-2008 at 12:37 AM.

6. dya said:

Sooo....

ca va? (and) tu es chaud? These are in French so I didn't understand if you want them translated in Romanian or in English?
    Anyway:
    ca va?--Merge? meaning E totul in regula?== Is everything/it ok?
    tu es chaud?--Ți-e cald? == Are you warm/hot? (from It's warm/hot outside)

1) You know, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure
    Știi, la asta m-am gândit, dar nu eram sigur.

'that's what I kinda thought,' --cam la asta m-am gândit

kinda--cam

2) I trust you...I don't trust him/you...do you trust me?
    Am încredere în tine... Nu am încredere în el/tine...ai încredere în mine?

3) sometimes it catches me by surprise...sometimes some little thing you do just catches me by surprise
    Uneori mă ia prin surprindere... uneori un lucru minor pe care-l faci mă ia prin surprindere

4) I'm a little busy tonight finishing up some weekend projects. And I spent too many pennies on silly things Saturday night. But soon, things will be getting a bit interesting...maybe even for you?
    Sunt puțin ocupat diseară /în seara asta cu terminarea unor proiecte de weekend. Și am cheltuit prea mulți bani pe lucruri neimportante sâmbătă seară. Dar în curând lucrurile vor deveni un pic interesante...poate chiar și pentru tine?

7. Sahrian said:

Romanian is a language mostly based on Latin when it comes to grammar and morphology. It has slavonic influences at the level of vocabulary and phonetics. Keep in mind that since the Middle Ages till the 18th century, slavonic was the language used for religious service. The liturgical language of the Romanian Orthodox Church was old slavonic.
    There was no such thing as "Romanian" Orthodox Church in those times. If our intellectual elite from Moldavia wouldn't have discovered which is our true national identity thanks to the Polish schools from those times, perhaps we would have spoken some sort of Bulgarian today. Even now the Orthodox Church from Romania uses an ugly slavicised language. But paradoxically they have changed the name from "pravoslavnic" to "ortodox" (The words have the same meaning, but "ortodox" is neologism in Romanian!) . It is interpretable what is counted when considering the vocabulary, but surely there are much more than 10% Slavic words in Romanian. It is also true that most of them are archaisms, being scarcely used in the currently spoken language. But this doesn't mean that Romanians have Slavic blood in the same degree with Slavic influence in Romanian language. Be aware of the fact that many Slavic loanwords in Romanian are from OCS, which was never the language of common people. There is no doubt that some Slavic population was absorbed in what is Romanian people, but IMO more Romanians were absorbed in what are South-Slavic peoples.
    Last edited by Sahrian; 04-22-2008 at 07:53 AM.

8. dya said:

Thank you for adding new information, Sahrian. This way people here can learn not only the language, but also historical facts related to it.

Just to clarify things: when I used the expression "Romanian Orthodox Church" I meant it in the context of religious influence. The way I said it refered to the Church as a "tool": orthodoxism (no matter the term used for it) was the core of it and it was to this particular religion that people responded. Even when the religious service was held in a language totally unknown to them.

Or, to say it in a different way, Romanian Orthodox Chruch because it was attended by Romanians and it addressed them.

As for counting vocabulary, this is an open debate and because the language is an alive "organism" constantly changing, the data can vary from decade to decade. First example that comes to mind refers to all the bussiness terms we borrowed/adapted/Romanian-ized(some of them in a very unfortunate way) from English in the last decade. Business-related vocabulary(accepted or not by the norm) is something that we use on a daily basis and, thus, we'll end up counting it too at some point.

9. apiland said:

Smile Help

Hello! Can someone help me? I am VERY new to Ro, and I need to have something translated. It goes like this.

si tu sa ai o zi buna si usoara! te pup dulce pe gurita!

also, what is pupita?

Multumesc foarte mult!

10. dya said:

Here you are:

si tu sa ai o zi buna si usoara!--You, too, have a good and easy day!

te pup dulce pe gurita*! --Literally it means I kiss you sweetly on your little mouth . In other words a longer and more personal way of saying "Kisses" at the end of a conversation

*Guriță is the diminutive from gură-mouth

pupita doesn't mean anything. Maybe there's a spelling mistake in here...?

wolver99 said:

What is the way for a man to tell a woman he likes that she is precious? There are numerous options given in the dictionaries for ways to apply the idea of preciousness in various ways & contexts, I want to be sure I'm using the right one, as in the phrase:

"My precious woman."

Also about word order, is it: femeie meu [pretios sau pretioasa sau drag sau iubit sau valoare sau grosava sau afectat...sau care???]

And if someone wants to say about a sibling or, for example, a niece: "My precious sister" or "My precious Anna" would you use the same word?

Multumesc.

12. dya said:

Hello

First of all some corrctions:

femeie meu [pretios sau pretioasa

femeia ( the definite article is necessary here ) mea--the possessive adjective is in accordance with the noun.

The same for whatever adjective you use. It will have the feminine form.

The word order is this: noun+ possessive+ adjective

Thus:
    femeia mea prețioasă

prețios/prețioasă is the exact translation for precious.

You could use this phrase, but pay attention because the same phrase can also be used in an ironical context

The standard phrase is actually the equivalent of my treasure-- comoara mea.

Or the term neprețuită--priceless

Femeia mea iubită--My beloved woman (pay attention, this phrase has a definite romantic meaning. You say this to the woman you love.

On the other hand Prietena mea iubită--My beloved friend--- you could say to a friend which you really care for.

Femeia mea dragă--My dear woman

For phrases addressed to other people than lovers, you could use both dear--dragă or beloved -- iubită according to what exactly you want to express.

My precious sister-- Sora mea iubită/ dragă

If you have other questions, I'm here
    Last edited by dya; 04-23-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to write some examples

13. t23 said:

For those of you who are interested in colloquial Romanian, i can recommend a book i bought in Cluj when i moved there. It's called "You CAN Speak Romanian" and is by a woman named Dana Cojocaru. It is not only really good, it is also terribly funny and makes you want to learn the language.

There is a free version of it on the web at http://www.seelrc.org/webliography/romanian.ptml (the reference grammar is basically the "boring" parts of the printed book), and they have a bunch more resources about Romanian and other east European languages.

No, i am not Romanian, but lived there two years, so i had to learn the language as fast as possible

14. Sahrian said:

Quote Originally Posted by dya View Post
    Thank you for adding new information, Sahrian. This way people here can learn not only the language, but also historical facts related to it.

Just to clarify things: when I used the expression "Romanian Orthodox Church" I meant it in the context of religious influence. The way I said it refered to the Church as a "tool": orthodoxism (no matter the term used for it) was the core of it and it was to this particular religion that people responded. Even when the religious service was held in a language totally unknown to them.
    You are welcome. I hope there will be more interest in the thread, the board being principally a "Lyrics Translation" one, which theoretically attracts more people than a "Learning Romanian Language" board.
    Regarding the Orthodox Church problem, my intention was to confirm your words and I basically agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by t23 View Post
    For those of you who are interested in colloquial Romanian, i can recommend a book i bought in Cluj when i moved there. It's called "You CAN Speak Romanian" and is by a woman named Dana Cojocaru. It is not only really good, it is also terribly funny and makes you want to learn the language.
    Thanks for your contribution, but it is the same book for which igrec already posted a link. Anyway it's better to have another link .
    At http://dexonline.ro/ can be found a collection of Romanian explicative and etymological dictionaries which are almost indispensable for those who already know some Romanian and want to expand their Romanian vocabulary knowledge.

15. apiland said:

Red face Basics

Hello Again.

First, multumesc for the translation earlier. I appreciate it.

Next, Can someone conjugate the verb "To Be" for me?

I know first person singular and first person plural. That is, I know that I am is "Sunt," and that "we are" is "Suntem." Could you please let me know what the second and third person singuar and plural are?

16. Sahrian said:

Eu sunt
    Tu eşti
    El/Ea este
    Noi suntem
    Voi sunteţi
    Ei/Ele sunt

mister Xazos said:

Quote Originally Posted by dya View Post
    Here you are:

si tu sa ai o zi buna si usoara!--You, too, have a good and easy day!

te pup dulce pe gurita*! --Literally it means I kiss you sweetly on your little mouth . In other words a longer and more personal way of saying "Kisses" at the end of a conversation

*Guriță is the diminutive from gură-mouth

pupita doesn't mean anything. Maybe there's a spelling mistake in here...?
    I guess "pupita" is some sort of diminutive for "pup" which means "kiss" (buna treaba Dya ! Bravo sou !)
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

18. Sahrian said:

At http://www.romaniandolls.com/books/0...GRAMATICA/fi.h can be found the complete conjugation of the Romanian verb "a fi" ("to be").

mister Xazos said:

Quote Originally Posted by Sahrian View Post
    At http://dexonline.ro/ can be found a collection of Romanian explicative and etymological dictionaries which are almost indispensable for those who already know some Romanian and want to expand their Romanian vocabulary knowledge.
    One specification. This dictinary is full Romanian. Words are explained into Romanian. For a multi-language dictionary try this : http://www.dictionar.ro/
    Romanian, English, French, German, Spanish, Italian.
    μόνο στο τίποτα...

mister Xazos said:

Happy Easter ! May God fill your souls with happiness, faith and light.
    μόνο στο τίποτα...