Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None
  1. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by maria_gr View Post
    Because these are adjectives, alb is the masculine of singular and albă is the feminine of singular. The other two, albi and albe, are the plural forms. The same goes to the others as well.
    I'm not sure about verde though, I think that both masculine and feminine gender have the same form in singular and plural, but for sure a native will explain it better.
    Bravo sou, Maria Perfect explanation. And you're right about verde: it has the same form for singular masc & fem = verde.
    And the same form for masc& fem plural= verzi .

IMissPadfoot said:

Quote Originally Posted by dya View Post
    Colours are adjectives. In Romanian, the adjective has the same characteristics as the noun it accompanies.

What you found are the feminine and masculine, singular and plural forms of each word.

perete(wall) is masculine, singular so white wall=perete alb
    casă(house) is feminine and singular so white house= casă albă

pereți(walls) is masculine and plural so white walls= pereți albi
    case(houses) is feminine and plural so white houses = case albe

If you have further questions write them here
    Thank you - that helps a lot

And thanks to Maria also!!
    http://www.obliviate.net

krityx said:

Quote Originally Posted by ancaangie View Post
    Hello
    I'm new here and I have a question about translation of these words

"Te scuturi de praf si-ncepi sa te ridici."
    can I translate it like that - "you'll shake the dust and start to rise."

or in some other way?
    You shake the dust off and start to rise.

4. ancaangie said:

Thanks

5. rudaire said:

Hello. How would I say 'I put half the onion in there'.. Would it be pun jumatea cepei in acolo? And would 'I put half AN onion in there (not the onion)' be 'pun jumatea unei chopei in acolo'?

Could I say jumate de ceapa rather than jumatea chepei, or is that wrong.. Also do I have to use jumatea (THE half) in the above examples??

thanks

dave

edit.. For past tense I realize it would be am putut jumatea chepei, or do I have to write am putut-o jumatea chepei..

So many questions in one simple post, I realize.. Hopefully you can break this down for me..

thanks
    dave
    Last edited by rudaire; 02-10-2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: addition of past tense

6. dya said:

Hello

First of all there are quite a few mistakes in your post:

Present Tense:
    'I put half the onion in there'-- Pun jumătatea de ceapă acolo (if you refer to a certain half of a certain onion. Like: this is the onion.I used half of it. The (remaining) half I put it in there. )

'I put half AN onion in there -- Pun jumătate (jumate) de ceapă acolo (if you refer to the quantity, like in a recipe: put half an onion in the salad)

Past Tense
    'I put half the onion in there'-- Am pus jumătatea de ceapă acolo.

'I put half AN onion in there-- Am pus jumătate (jumate) de ceapă acolo.

jumătatea cepei is wrong in contexts like this one.

In case you have further questions, start from my explanation. I told you there were a few mistakes in your post and I wanted first to clarify your misunderstanding. From here on, we can talk about the other aspects/questions you may have on the subject.

7. rudaire said:

Thanks dya.. that makes perfect sense. And I did indeed mistake putut from a putea for pus from a pune..

thanks

dave

Hello

First of all there are quite a few mistakes in your post:

Present Tense:
    'I put half the onion in there'-- Pun jumătatea de ceapă acolo (if you refer to a certain half of a certain onion. Like: this is the onion.I used half of it. The (remaining) half I put it in there. )

'I put half AN onion in there -- Pun jumătate (jumate) de ceapă acolo (if you refer to the quantity, like in a recipe: put half an onion in the salad)

Past Tense
    'I put half the onion in there'-- Am pus jumătatea de ceapă acolo.

'I put half AN onion in there-- Am pus jumătate (jumate) de ceapă acolo.

jumătatea cepei is wrong in contexts like this one.

In case you have further questions, start from my explanation. I told you there were a few mistakes in your post and I wanted first to clarify your misunderstanding. From here on, we can talk about the other aspects/questions you may have on the subject.

8. Insania said:

You guys rule! There's this boy from Romania..And I kinda like him...a lot.. And you guys helped me impress him..I am sooo thankful! Before u guys came along I only knew what "te iubesc" means..

9. dya said:

We're glad you find this thread useful If you have any questions, here we are

10. faratine said:

cum spuneti "per me"? in engleza " in my opinion"?
    1) dupa mine
    2) dupa parerea mea
    3) pentru mine
    de exemplu: per me non è una buona idea.. in enlgeza: in my opinion it's not a good idea

11. Lady_A said:

Quote Originally Posted by faratine View Post
    cum spuneti "per me"? in engleza " in my opinion"?
    1) dupa mine
    2) dupa parerea mea
    3) pentru mine
    de exemplu: per me non è una buona idea.. in enlgeza: in my opinion it's not a good idea
    We say either:

1) dupa mine (but it's not very correct)
    2) dupa parerea mea (the most apropriate translation)

Pentru mine is the literal translation of "per me", but in Romanian does not have the same meaning as it has in Italian.

12. faratine said:

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_A View Post
    We say either:

1) dupa mine (but it's not very correct)
    2) dupa parerea mea (the most apropriate translation)

Pentru mine is the literal translation of "per me", but in Romanian does not have the same meaning as it has in Italian.
    multumesc lady...

gossip-girl said:

How to say: "I have the same shoes as this girl?" I don't know why but I always have problems with expressing "the same" or "me too" in romanian...

Later edit: One more thing - a friend of mine is having î in his surname (his ID says so), but uses â instead, when writing it. I know the sound is the same so what the hell is the difference? Is it because of this rule (î as first or the last letter in a word & â inside)?
    Last edited by gossip-girl; 02-22-2009 at 07:39 AM.

14. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by gossip-girl View Post
    How to say: "I have the same shoes as this girl?" I don't know why but I always have problems with expressing "the same" or "me too" in romanian...
    There are many ways to express it:
    Am pantofi la fel ca ai acestei fete.
    Pantofii mei sunt la fel ca ai acestei fete.

If you talk about the model of the shoes you can say:
    Am acelasi model de pantofi.

I realise it's a bit difficult, so ask further questions on this subject(with various examples) till things become clear for you

Later edit: One more thing - a friend of mine is having î in his surname (his ID says so), but uses â instead, when writing it. I know the sound is the same so what the hell is the difference? Is it because of this rule (î as first or the last letter in a word & â inside)?
    Yes, that's right The rule has to do with the writing, there's no diference in pronounciation.

gossip-girl said:

Multumesc!
    So, for 'the same' you say mostly 'la fel' or 'aceleasi'?
    Can I use 'la fel' in meaning like 'me too'? For example 'nu ma simt bine' - '(si eu) la fel'

Yes, that's right The rule has to do with the writing, there's no diference in pronounciation.
    So, I can say that he writes his surname like that cause he likes so?

16. dya said:

Multumesc!
    So, for 'the same' you say mostly 'la fel' or 'aceleasi'?
    Can I use 'la fel' in meaning like 'me too'? For example 'nu ma simt bine' - '(si eu) la fel'
    Yes, you could say this, but it's not entirely correct because of the first sentence. Let me explain:

When the first sentence is negative (nu ma simt bine) you respond with : nici: Nici eu.

If the first sentence is affirmative (ma simt bine) you respond with la fel: Si eu la fel or shorter: Si eu (me too)

So, I can say that he writes his surname like that cause he likes so?
    No, no, no! The norm is â for the sound inside the words and î if it is the first or the last letter. So, he doesn't like to write his name with â , he must write it like this

17. rudaire said:

hello. I was watching a movie in romanian recently, and I have many questions about some of the dialogue in the movie. A 2 minute audio segment that I have questions about can be found here..
    http://files.me.com/ruderd2003/my1pxh.mp3

At 10 seconds, a man says, "Ea, zi-ma". then at 45 seconds he says, "Nu ma zi tu". I'm very confused. First of, I thought if I wanted to command someone to tell me something, I'd say, "Zi-mi", not zi-ma. Secondly, I don't understand the 'nu ma zi tu' segment( at 45 seconds). If he means to say, "you're not telling me, I'd think it would be 'nu-mi zici tu'. Also, what is the 'ea' at 10 seconds into the clip.. He isn't referring to a women, like she. Is it a 'filler' word in romain like 'well' or uhmm in english?

thanks

dave

imparatel said:

dear rudaire : "ma" in this case is an jargon......it is used for YOU
    and the " nu ma ia zi tu" is more like : no, you tell me...
    - and this "ea" is in fact "ia" also an jargon......if someone cand explain more exactly please do....romanian is very confusing

19. dya said:

Imparatel explained it very well

What I can add is this:
    What you hear as "ea" is actually "ia", as Imparatel said. It's a signal word, used to draw attention. It doesn't have an english equivalent, the best way you can render it would be a simple "hey!"

Mă (măi) is an informal way of addressing someone or calling someone.

As for the sentences you don't understand, I guess the translation becomes easy now:

Ia zi, mă!-- Say it, you!
    Nu, mă, zi tu! -- No, you say it!

20. faratine said:

cum se spune " approfittarsi"? in engleza " to take advantage"?
    si avvicinarsi? in engleza " to approach"? a apropria? how to write simple present of the verb?