Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None

mike123 said:

Thank you Krityx, i've corrected my "il asculti" typo. Thanks for pointing it out.

Is there a rule when you should use the pronoun "pe tine" instead of the "te"? I know the former requires a preposition, so do you use (pe mine, pe tine, etc...) only when a preposition is required?
    De multe ori tăcerea e mai bună decât răspunsul.

dragonfly93 said:

All i know is that when you say "doar pe tine", I don't think you can replace it with "te". Although I've only heard "doar pe tine" used in a song.

Is "you" stressed if you say "iubesc pe tine" rather than "te iubesc", or doesn't anyone say that?
    Minä olen horjunut, epäilen enemmän kuin ennen
    Mutta halusit ihmisen, sen viat, sen heikkouden

mike123 said:

I agree, "te" must be used with a verb. Also like in "orice pentru tine". (anything for you).

iubesc pe tine: It's a very good question, but i've never heard or read. I look forward to the answer and i'll also ask someone tomorrow to post here if no one has answered already.

I don't know why Krityx said it isn't stressed form of "te". All the charts i've seen said it was. Maybe he thought I meant "tine" by itself is stressed. Because "tine" by itself isn't used without "pe" or another preposition.

4. Euridike said:

I think you may say "Pe tine te iubesc", if you want to emphasize

dragonfly93 said:

Isn't that redundant, like saying "te iubesc pe tine"? I thought it was unnecessary to use both in the same sentence.

krityx said:

As mike pointed out te will always be followed by a verb while tine is always used with a preposition. I don't know the exact grammar rules here, I haven't had a grammar lesson since the 8th grade so I don't quite remember everything, but I'd still say that pe tine is not a stressed version of te.

Pe tine te iubesc is correct. The order of the words is important here. This is correct on its own but most of the time it is followed by something else, usually to express a difference/contradiction.

Pe tine te iubesc = (literally) You, I love. This is the stressed form of te iubesc, and you won't hear it often.

Mostly when people use that they say things like : Pe tine te iubesc, pe el nu (You, I love, him, I don't.)

7. dya said:

Sorry for the absence! I don't have too much time now, I promise I'll come back tomorrow and answer all unanswered questions. Thanks, dragonfly for your PM

I want to clarify just one thing and, sorry Kritix, but I'll have to correct something you said.

So, guys, you were right about the pronunciation of este, esti, eram, erati, etc AND eu, el, ea, ei

This is a thing called preiotare (i'm not sure about the term in english) but it means that you pronounce i before some letters(at the beginning of aword) , even if you don't write it.

In Romanian, which is a phonetic language(we pronounce the same way we write), this is a UNIQUE case : the forms of a fi that start in e and the personal pronouns that start with e.

Only in these cases, we pronounce ie instead of e.

And we also have a term for when someone insists on pronouncing e, it's called hipercorectitudine and linguistically it is considered a mistake.

So, yes, keep in mind, that even if you write este, you'll actually pronounce it ieste. The i sound is not strong, it's called a weak sound, so don't actually ....shout it !

I hope I cleared the mistery now

For the rest of your questions, I'll be back tomorrow!

dragonfly93 said:

Mulțumesc foarte mult, Dya

9. dya said:

You're welcome I have a few minutes now so I'll try to answer some of the other questions here:

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly93 View Post
    Hey Mike, in the phrase "multă energie", the "e" îs pronounced as a "ie"... Maybe because multă ends with a vowel???
    That's a mistake. As I said, the rule only applies to the verb a fi and the personal pronouns that begin with e.

But, and this may be of some help for you, in the Moldavian dialect you'll hear a lot of words beginning in e pronounced with ie. It's a particularity of this dialect. But don't foget, it is not correct in any other case than the ones I mentioned before.

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    ....if you want to use română , you have to add "limba română".
    Krityx already clarified this, I just want to add that you can use română without the word limba in front of it, the same you can use the words for any other languages: engleză, franceză, italiană, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    Is there a rule when you should use the pronoun "pe tine" instead of the "te"? I know the former requires a preposition, so do you use (pe mine, pe tine, etc...) only when a preposition is required?
    Actually, pe tine te usually go together.

Pe tine te iubesc. You drop pe tine for all the reasons Krityx already mentioned.

What I want to point out is that pe tine is to be taken together, you can't separate them. Tine by itself can not be used anywhere.

Also, pe tine without te makes no sense, unless you use it as a short answer:
    -Pe cine ai văzut ieri?!
    -Pe tine!

But if you use it in a complete sentence, it has to be followed by te.

Maybe if we use a different person, you'll understand the meaning better. Most of the times it is redundant to use both pe tine and te in the same sentence, but for the 3rd person , for example, you really need both:pe el îl / pe ea o when you replace el / ea with a noun:
    Îl întreb pe tata.
    O întreb pe mama.

In these examples, pe tata & pe mama are in the accusative. (Remember, Romanian has cases for pronouns and nouns, and since these two categories may be interchangeable in a context, the case remains the same even if you replace the noun with a pronoun or viceversa)

Îl întreb pe tata= Îl întreb pe el
    O întreb pe mama= O întreb pe ea

Maybe you already know these things, so I'll stop here with the explanations. If you need more info on this, let me know

dragonfly93 said:

Thank you again, Dya! The explanations you gave were very helpful and especially the one about the "ie/e"--I was listening to O-Zone's songs, so because they are all from Moldova, it explained the "ie" sound I heard (It was the song "Fiesta De La Noche").

dragonfly93 said:

By the way, is it more common to say "română" or "românește"? As in, vorbesc un pic românește/română? Are there clear rules on when to use each?

And also, in what case and tense is "ai să ști"? Is that future tense?
    Last edited by dragonfly93; 02-17-2010 at 06:09 PM.

mike123 said:

i'll keep quiet regarding romana/romaneste bc i don't fully understand the difference but I await the answer from a native.

"ai să ști" is a future tense. If i'm not mistaken, it means "you are going to know"

this does bring about a question from me. can someone kindly explain the difference between "ai să şti" and "o să şti"? My current understanding and experience tells me to always go with "o să şti", but that they mean the same thing. ...I think. :-SS

dragonfly93 said:

Exactly what I'm wondering!

14. dya said:

There are 4 ways of expressing the future tense in Romanian. More or less, nr. 1, 2 & 4 all render the same meaning, it's just a matter of formal vs informal language. Nr. 3 implies some uncertainty from the speaker.

1. Future simple: Voi merge
    2. Popular future 1 : o să merg
    3. Popular future 2: oi merge
    4. Familiar popular future: am să merg (formed from the present tense of a avea + the subjonctive(conjunctiv) of the verb you want to use)

Future in the past looks like this for each type:
    1. Voi fi mers
    2. O sa fi mers
    3. Oi fi mers
    4. Am sa fi mers

If you need further assistance, let me know

15. dya said:

Oh, and about românește/română:

românește is an adverb: Vorbesc românește
    română is an adjective as it actually defines the noun limba.

I believe it's more common to use simply română: Vorbesc română.

In case you want to say:
    I speak a little Romanian= Vorbesc puțină română OR Vorbesc un pic de română(this one is more informal)

dragonfly93 said:

Thank you again, Dya!!!!

dragonfly93 said:

By the way, is there a word "di" in Romanian? I thought there was just "de" but I've also seen "di". Is it a word, or mistake?

mike123 said:

The only thing i could find is that it is an interjection to urge a horse to walk (and similar animals). Di!

And I think it is also a way to say "hi" to someone. maybe?

See this link put through google translator:

http://translate.google.com/translat...di&sl=ro&tl=en

19. Lady_A said:

Di can also be a so to say reglionalism of "de" (used in Moldova)
    Last edited by Lady_A; 02-20-2010 at 07:04 PM.

dragonfly93 said:

Moldova, as in the state in Romania, or the Republic of Moldova (I assume it's the latter of the two)?