Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None
  1. dya said:

Nici mie nu-mi plac ultimile reguli dar n-am ce face, trebuie sa le respect. Norma este norma.
    Si sunt de acord cu faptul ca aici trebuie sa scriem respectand norma in vigoare, altfel derutam lumea!

DeBaires said:

Hey. Just a couple questions.

1) So "amigdale" is tonsils...does that have anything to do with the amygdala in the brain (fear respsonse & stuff) is it just completely a faux amis?

2) Is there a difference between the reflexives "iti/ti", "imi/mi" & "isi/si"?

3) Why isn't the plural of "lacrima" "lacrime"?

3. dya said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    Hey. Just a couple questions.

1) So "amigdale" is tonsils...does that have anything to do with the amygdala in the brain (fear respsonse & stuff) is it just completely a faux amis?
    I don't quite understand the question. Yes, amiglade means tonsils. But I have no idea in what way this may be (or not) related to what you said. I guess you should ask a doctor

No difference. The second one is just the short form of the first one. It's also the form we use in speaking and informal writing. The norm is the first one.

It used to be in the past. Later on it evolved towards "lacrimi". For the why part, I don't have an answer right now. I'll have to check first. Or maybe somebody else(maybe a Romanian teacher) could give you the explanation, as to how declesion has eveolved in time. It has to do with what influences our language receieved in time. Slavic influence produced some changes, French influence changed the changes. Going back to Latin via French in the 18th century produced again some changes. Briefly, this is how you explain how a word evolved from one form to another along years.

I hope my answers help you

DeBaires said:

Thank you!

As for my 1st question, I just assumed that one tonsil (haha) would be amigdala?

The amygdala is the part of the brain responsible for fear response, etc.

I was just wondering if there was any connection or if it's just a coincidence.

5. dya said:

What I can tell yu for sure is that the singular for amigdale is indeed amigdală (amigdala)

As for the connection between amygdala & amigdala, you made me curious and I searched for some info:
    Wikipedia:
    The amygdalae (Latin, also corpus amygdaloideum, singular amygdala, from Greek αμυγδαλή, amygdalē, 'almond', 'tonsil', ) are almond-shaped groups of neurons located deep within the medial temporal lobes of the brain in complex vertebrates, including humans.

The conection is linguistic as both amygdala and tonsils have the same shape. I underlined, in the quote above, all the words that led me to this conclusion

maria_gr said:

Just a tiny correction in the Greek part. The ancient Greek word is called ἀμυγδάλη. Αμυγδαλή is new Greek word, it means only tonsil and we usually use the plural form [αμυγδαλές]. Almond in Greek is αμύγδαλο and almond tree αμυγδαλιά, so as you can see they're 3 different words and not just one.
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

7. dya said:

E'euxaristw, Maria mou

Obviously, wikipedia typed the Greek word wrong. I say that because, most probably the Romanian word for tonsils was taken from Greek and the Romanian pronunciation follows this word: ἀμυγδάλη

The accent in Romanian is on the second a in the word, both in singular and in plural:
    amigdάla-amigdάle

DeBaires said:

Quote Originally Posted by dya View Post
    What I can tell yu for sure is that the singular for amigdale is indeed amigdală (amigdala)

As for the connection between amygdala & amigdala, you made me curious and I searched for some info:
    Wikipedia:
    The amygdalae (Latin, also corpus amygdaloideum, singular amygdala, from Greek αμυγδαλή, amygdalē, 'almond', 'tonsil', ) are almond-shaped groups of neurons located deep within the medial temporal lobes of the brain in complex vertebrates, including humans.

The conection is linguistic as both amygdala and tonsils have the same shape. I underlined, in the quote above, all the words that led me to this conclusion
    Oh awesome! Mersi mult! Da, e la fel pe spaniol, I wish I had thought of that before haha. Dar din nou, mersi!

9. faratine said:

o intrebare: cum spuneti "to cook" and " to guess"?

Layla said:

Hello! Here you are:

to cook - a găti

to guess - a ghici

11. faratine said:

Quote Originally Posted by Layla View Post
    Hello! Here you are:

to cook - a găti

to guess - a ghici
    multumesc Layla...

tigress_tim said:

DEBaires ! correction as u requested -

Dar īn special, vreau să vă mulţumesc Dya, Lady A şi Tigress. Fără voi, nu ştiu unde aş fi. Cānd am o īntrebare, sunteţi aici pentru mine cu un răspuns rapid şi precis. Sunteţi nişte profesoare uimitoare! Cuvintele nu ajung pentru a vă explica ce simt şi cāt de recunoscător sunt.

* 3 lil mistakes as I said TERRIFIC
    " Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive. "

DeBaires said:

Din nou, mersi!

tigress_tim said:

Din nou, plăcerea e din partea mea!
    " Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive. "

15. Sahrian said:

They are both almond-shaped, from where the name .

Try to say "mi" ( with short "i") with Romanian accent and the result will be "imi". As dya said, there is no difference.

Why the plural of "inima" is not "inime"? This is the way the pronunciation evolved in Romanian, maybe Slavic influence, maybe not .

Edit: My apologies, what I wrote is almost completely redundant, that means to write based on the 'announce' e-mail received .
    Last edited by Sahrian; 12-20-2008 at 08:33 PM.

16. faratine said:

alta intrebare: cum se spune cuvant "fa" in italian or "ago" in english?
    de exemplu: two years ago..due anni fa

17. dya said:

We don't have a specific word for that. There are two ways to express it:

1. acum + time period: acum doi ani = two years ago

2. īn urmă+ time period : īn urmă cu doi ani= two years ago.

OR

time period + īn urmă: doi ani īn urmă

The first one is more used.

18. faratine said:

multumesc dya....

Don't Die Nemecsek said:

Hi. Can anyone tell me how is s with a sign on top of it pronounced? Is it always -sh or does it depend on where it's used? I'm asking this because, as a person interested in football, I observed that the Romanian players playing in my country usually (Turkey) have surnames that finish with -sh. Like Tamas and Baros.

20. dya said:

Hello!

I suppose you meant s with a sign under it That would be ș and it is indeed pronounced as sh.

In the Romanian alphabet, s and ș are different letters, therefore they can appear anywhere in a word. It's not a rule that one must appear on a certain position in the word.

I hope that was of some help!