Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None
  1. dya said:

Cu placere, faratine

si o corectare : "chiar daca tu nu stii italiana"

DeBaires said:

Quote Originally Posted by faratine View Post
    pentru Debaires o mica corectare: se scrie LA TUA questione...
    Oh, haha, grazie
    Nu ştiu de ce lupt aşa pentru tine.
    Ti it l'avěe tut ma adess 't as nen gnente.
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

3. faratine said:

Quote Originally Posted by dya View Post
    Cu placere, faratine

si o corectare : "chiar daca tu nu stii italiana"

multumesc din nou dya..nu stiu bine limba romana..tot ce am invatat l'am invatat singur...

DeBaires said:

Am citit ca limba romana are influenta din dacii. Cineva ma poate zice care cuvinte vin din dacii? Mersi!
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

kmmy said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    Am citit ca limba romana are influenta dacica. Cineva imi poate zice ce cuvinte vin din limba daca? Mersi!

here you will find a list with those words

DeBaires said:

Mersi foarte mult Cami! E exact ce-am vrut sa stiu!!!

kmmy said:

cu placere

8. Sahrian said:

Quote Originally Posted by kmmy View Post
    here you will find a list with those words
    The list is far from having any scientific value. Some words from the list are from Latin, other are Slavic, Turkish or with unknown origin. Very few words there, if any, could be indeed traced to Dacian language.

9. rudaire said:

I have a question.. The simple perfect forms, I heard one used for the first time yesterday when watching a cartoon. The cartoon was from the perspective of being read, like someone was reading a book and we were watching a cartoon of what they were reading, and the characters would say something, and then it would end with a pause and 'spuse'.. I think this is like saying 'he/she said' in english, like "come over here," she said... Is this true? Is this tense used very often in spoken language??

thanks
    dave

10. rudaire said:

Another thing, I tried to translate the phrase "today is the greatest day I've ever known" into romanian and cannot do it.. Would it be using the simple perfect tense?? Azi e cel mai mare(bine) zi stiui vreodata???

thanks
    dave

11. Lady_A said:

Astazi este cea mai buna zi / pe care am avut-o vreodata.
    (1st sentence) / (2nd sentence)

buna and not bine - buna is an adjective while bine is an adverb.
    zi - is a feminine noun so the adjective must be also feminine (cea mai buna)
    Then you must introduce the second sentence with a relative pronoun and pe care - does that for you.

In English you use the verb "to know", in Romanian it doesn't sound so good and therefore we use the verb "a avea" (to have).

You may use the simple perfect, but much more used it's the past tense.

The version with the simple perfect would sound like this:

Astazi este cea mai buna zi pe care o avui vreodata.

12. rudaire said:

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_A View Post
    Astazi este cea mai buna zi / pe care am avut-o vreodata.
    (1st sentence) / (2nd sentence)

buna and not bine - buna is an adjective while bine is an adverb.
    zi - is a feminine noun so the adjective must be also feminine (cea mai buna)
    Then you must introduce the second sentence with a relative pronoun and pe care - does that for you.

In English you use the verb "to know", in Romanian it doesn't sound so good and therefore we use the verb "a avea" (to have).

You may use the simple perfect, but much more used it's the past tense.

The version with the simple perfect would sound like this:

Astazi este cea mai buna zi pe care o avui vreodata.
    ms lady.. I cannot believe that just now I relized that buna was an adjective and bine an adverb.. it makes usage easier knowing that..

thanks again..

d

13. Wyvernspur13 said:

I don't know if this is in here yet, but I'll put it up as my first post. It's a pretty good reference that I found a few years ago.

http://www.seelrc.org:8080/grammar/p...e_romanian.pdf

Also:

http://dictionare.com/
    This is a very good online Dictionary provided by Industrial Soft. They have a fairly decent program that has a free trial, or can be purchased. Also is available for mobile usage.
    *Click “Dictionaries” for the online dictionary and conjugation section. Not too good with Reverse conjugation (i.e. to speak = a vorbi [to speak] but will not find vorbesc [I speak])

kutekito said:

Smile

Hey I found this website that has quizzing for romanian words. I'm posting it because there is a great verbs quiz =)

http://iteslj.org/v/ro/

Hope it helps

ilus_lill said:

Hey I wonder if anyone can help me with some translation.
    First this sentence. "Intr-un rar moment de generozitate de-al meu, s-ar putea sa spun da." I want to know how to translate the last part of the sentence. "I could say yes" or "I could have say yes". I mean, has she decided to say yes or not?
    Then this one about a monastery. "Era intr-un satuc mic si obscur, dar era atat de impresionanta prin simplitate." Prin simplitate, does it mean it was so impressive, because it was simple or it looked so impressive because everything around was so unimpressive?
    And for last this one. "Copilul lua cate o cutie si mi-o intindea. Eu le luam pe rand din mana lui si incercam sa citesc numele medicamentelor." Was there one box or many, and what is "pe rand"?
    Thank you in advance.

16. dya said:

Actually in the first sentence, the translation goes like this:
    I might say yes. So the person hasn't decided what to do, but there is a possibility to say yes.

The second sentence:
    It was so impressive by its simplicity meaning that its simplicity made it impressive as opposed to the general idea that only opulent things could actually impress. The author states that in this case it was the simplicity that impressed.

The third sentence:
    There were many boxes that the child was handing him one by one. The person was taking these boxes one at a time and reading the labels.
    pe rand means "one by one"

I hope this helped you understand the sentences better

gossip-girl said:

Hello, I'm back again! Don't know if anyone of you remembers me, it's been such a looong time! But my exams are finally over and I'm super happy, cause I'll visit Romania for the first time this summer But that's not the reason I'm writing here, so let's get straight to the point:

This issue came to my mind today... I remember I once found a book in a bookstore, it was about words of love in different languages and I've found romanian "dor" inside of if, saying that "dor" defines smth more than just simply missing someone... Is that true? Can anybody explain it to me?

grig said:

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gossip-girl View Post
    This issue came to my mind today... I remember I once found a book in a bookstore, it was about words of love in different languages and I've found romanian "dor" inside of if, saying that "dor" defines smth more than just simply missing someone... Is that true? Can anybody explain it to me?
    Hey,

Actually, in Romanian "dor" has many meanings. I give you the link with the meanings from the dictionary (DEX) here and some translations.

- to miss someone, or some job from the past;
    - pathos
    - pain
    - or erotically

Nowadays, it is used with the first meaning [missing someone of smth]

Σ' αγαπάω μα δεν έχω μιλιά να στο πω
    κι αυτό είναι ένας καημός αβάσταχτος
    λιώνω στον πόνο γιατί νιώθω κι εγώ
    ο δρόμος που τραβάμε είναι αδιάβατος
    κουράγιο θα περάσει θα μου πεις

19. Crisa said:

I can add other meanings to dor:
    -(great )longing (for)
    -yearning (for/after)
    -home-sick
    -nostalgia
    -ardent desire
    -heart's desire
    -torment of
    -grief, sorrow

20. Un_Angel_Caido said:

Default Hello

Buna La toti,
    pai invat lima romana cam 2 ani dar nu zilnic si e greu cand nu am cu cine sa practic dar nu vreau sa uit ceea ce am invat deja . Asa m-am hotarit sa ma inregister pe aici. Ok, hope i wrote it fine lol. But I think I can understand it better when I read it than when I write it, so hope I can keep up learning. I already visited romanina in July 2007 and I'm hoping of going next year. So want to improve and not be nervous lol.
    Thanks to all you guys that help out, this is really nice place to practice.