Learning Romanian language

Thread: Learning Romanian language

Tags: None
  1. OttoMonge said:

Hello everyone. I'm from Costa Rica....i know very far from Romania; nevertheless I really appreciate romanian culture and above all, romanian language. I've been trying to learn by myself, and even though spanish and romanian are both romantic languages, it's hard to learn on one's own. But I'm happy that forums like this exist where people from all over the world can get together and learn from each other. So I hope I can learn from you guys as well as you guys can learn from me if you want to know anything in spanish. Cheers!

Otto

DeBaires said:

Otto, te cuento que ya veras que el espanol y el rumano son MUY parecidos y se que en poco tiempo vas a encontrar muchisimas palabras parecidas entre los dos idiomas.

Yo soy de la Argentina y tambien pensaba que eran muy distintos, pero poco a poco, con la ayuda de este sitio, me di cuenta de lo facil que es.

Si alguna vez necesites ayuda, decime, porque he encontrado que tiene mas sentido aprender el rumano en espanol.

Buena suerte con todo y espero "verte" pronto por aca!

~Diego
    Nu ştiu de ce lupt aşa pentru tine.
    Ti it l'avìe tut ma adess 't as nen gnente.
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

3. dya said:

Hello Otto and welcome to the forum If there's something you want to know about Romanian language, this is the place to do it and we're here to help

@Diego: How are you? Everything all right?

DeBaires said:

Da, totul bine, mersi foarte mult pentru sa ma intrebi!

Totul bine si cu tine?
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

5. Sahrian said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    Da, totul bine, mersi foarte mult pentru sa ma intrebi!
    Perhaps you wanted to say "pentru ca ma intrebi". Better is "pentru ca m-ai intrebat" or even better "pentru intrebare".
    Last edited by Sahrian; 07-28-2009 at 06:40 AM.

6. Crisa said:

Hello Otto!Bienvenido en el foro!
    Anything you want to know we;re here to help you.

7. OttoMonge said:

Thanx to everyone.....it-s so nice to have this kind of welcome :P

Hey Diego que buena nota, tambien me gusta mucho tu pais, especialmente el futbol el cual admiro muchisimo.

ya me sé algunas palabras, pero lo que más me cuesta es poder armar las oraciones. Espero poder aprender mejor aqui, teniendo gente con quien hablar
    Gracias!

8. lindsey said:

Smile

I had some lyrics translated for me a few weeks on here and these two lines confused me. Would anyone mind explaining the use and meaning of "ce" in these?

Sunt poveşti ce ard neîncetat
    Poveşti ce nasc din iubire

I only know of "ce" meaning what or how. I don't understand why they're used here.

DeBaires said:

Quote Originally Posted by lindsey View Post
    I had some lyrics translated for me a few weeks on here and these two lines confused me. Would anyone mind explaining the use and meaning of "ce" in these?

Sunt poveşti ce ard neîncetat
    Poveşti ce nasc din iubire

I only know of "ce" meaning what or how. I don't understand why they're used here.
    It can also mean "that," as it does in both lines:

They're stories that burn endlessly
    Stories that are born from love

10. lindsey said:

Smile

Thank you!

So, using "că" in these lines would be correct also, right? Are there specific times when you use "ce" in place of "că", or is it just a personal choice?

DeBaires said:

Quote Originally Posted by lindsey View Post
    Thank you!

So, using "că" in these lines would be correct also, right? Are there specific times when you use "ce" in place of "că", or is it just a personal choice?
    I'm not a native speaker, so I really don't know how to explain at all :-\

But in Romanian they use "ce, ca & care" when in English "that" or "which" is used. I just can't tell you when or how to use the right one, sorry!

12. dya said:

Goog morning from over here

Ce & Care are interchangeable. BUT, they are not interchangeable with că.

Care is the norm:
    Sunt povești care ard neîncetat.

Ce is the poetic sinonim:
    Povești ce ard neîncetat.

Both can be translated to english with which &that, but only if you deal with defining/non-defining relative clauses.

When you have that as introducing a Direct Object clause(for example) then, in Romanian, it becomes :

He told me that he was sick.
    El mi-a spus era bolnav.

I hope things are clear now

13. lindsey said:

Smile

Thank you so much! I understand now.

14. dya said:

You're welcome and if you have other questions, come here to ask

haydee said:

Hi! I have 2 rather simple questions:

is there a word that sounds like bucur or bucuri, what does it mean?

how to say "moonshiny night" in Romanian?

16. dya said:

Hi!

1. Yes, there is. The verb a se bucura- to enjoy ( the meaning it's rather to rejoice) in the present tense, first and second person singular.
    Eu mă bucur
    Tu te bucuri
    El/Ea se bucură
    Noi ne bucurăm
    Voi vă bucurați
    Ei/Ele se bucură

2. moonshiny night does not have an equivalent fixed expression in Romanian, therefore you translate it by what it expresses and usually it results in a poetic way of expressing it: noapte cu lună strălucitoare, noapte luminată de lună, noapte scăldată de lună, etc

I hope my answer helped

17. apiland said:

Hello Dya,

You often say that we can ask you for information about Romania and Romanian culture. I am wondering if you could translate an easy recipe for mici(mititei).

I know this is beyond what you normally do here, but it would be so helpful. My boyfriend will think I'm wonderful.

Alexandria

18. dya said:

Hello!

Oh, my God, what you're asking is kind of impossible to do and I'll tell you why!

It's not dificult for me to translate a recipe and I found several recipes for mititei, no problem from the translation point of vie. But I've heard and I've read about countless Romanians living outside Romania(especially on the American continent) who tried every recipe they found and they knew and the final product just doesn't taste like mititei at all. They all describe the final outcome as soemthing close to meatballs and having nothing to do with the familiar taste... I don't know why this happens, it could be because of the meat itself which probably tastes a little bit different in each area (due to what the animals are fed with, the water they drink, I don't know) it could be something else but the point is that apparently it's very hard to make them taste like home. Now if there is someone out there who managed to prepare the meat right, I could't find a testimony on the internet but I'll keep looking.

If you really want to try, I can look for a recipe and translate it for you, just tell me and I'll do so. But what I would actually advise you to do is to try and find a Romanian shop somewhere in your area. If they don't sell mititei already made for you to put on the grill, maybe they sell all the ingredients brought from here and that way you'll at least have an advantage in the taste issue

Let me know about your decision. And let me tell you, if your boyfriend is Romanian and if you manage to do that and the mititei to taste like here, he'll love you even more

19. Un_Angel_Caido said:

Buna la toti,

Do romanians use the following sayings at the clubs?

Is there a cover charge? How much is the cover charge?
    would it be correct to say
    Este o taxa = Is there a cover charge?
    cat de mult e taxa - how much is the cover charge?

also is this correct
    in fiecare data ca te vad, iei respirația mea departe = every time I see you, you take my breath away.

appreciate the help.

Mersi,

20. dya said:

Hello!

Cover charge for clubs is simply reffered to as "intrare". So you'd ask: "Cât este intrarea?”
    If you want to know if there is a cover charge you ask: ”Se plătește intrarea?” (Do you pay for ”entrance”?- would be the word-by-word translation)

As for the second one, the equivalent is:
    every time I see you, you take my breath away- de fiecare dată când te văd, mi se taie răsuflarea