spanish grammar

Thread: spanish grammar

Tags: None

xiurell said:

don't turn away from me= No te vayas de mi or No te alejes de mi
    what color is your hair,house=(cual o que?)= ¿de qué color es tu pelo, casa?
    let's stop playing games= Dejemos de jugar
    The way you looked at me tells me you're sorry= La forma en que me miras me hace pensar (=sentir, me muestra, etc) que lo sientes

Adrienne said:

I have a question, why are you writing question mark, end exclamation mark reversed? And in spanish, you can use two interpunction signs in the row right? Cuz in serbian it's impossible to use two in the row..
    Aconteceu
    Estava escrito assim
    Eu em você, você em mim
    Eu te encontrei
    Meu grande amor..

Da li cu ikad moci da sklopim oci a da tebe nema..?

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam!
    בועז, תתחתן איתי!

3. Gozde said:

Quote Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post
    I have a question, why are you writing question mark, end exclamation mark reversed? And in spanish, you can use two interpunction signs in the row right? Cuz in serbian it's impossible to use two in the row..
    Adrienne, this question is not for me,but in Spanish two interpunction signs are used,it is a rule,as in Turkish there is not such a rule , it sounds strange to me, too sometimes rules have no reasons or logic,but may be there is a reason,xiurell can you explain us,by the way muy gracias de nuevo xiurell

Adrienne said:

Merhaba Gozde! Thank you for answering my question You're right, sometimes rules have no reason or logic, but i had to ask lol
    I was studying linguistic, that's why i asked.. that got me interested, as there is no such a rule in other anguages i studied (:
    Aconteceu
    Estava escrito assim
    Eu em você, você em mim
    Eu te encontrei
    Meu grande amor..

בועז, תתחתן איתי!

5. Gozde said:

Merhaba Gozde! Thank you for answering my question You're right, sometimes rules have no reason or logic, but i had to ask lol
    I was studying linguistic, that's why i asked.. that got me interested, as there is no such a rule in other anguages i studied (:
    you're welcome,(this is one of the phrases that sound strange to me,we use not at all,not important,it is my pleasure ,etc i know the meaning is similar to those but it still sounds a bit strange which language do you study,spanish linguistic?

xiurell said:

Hi Adrienne, Gözde has right

In Spanish we use two mark to indicate the begin and the end of the sentence and this is for the question and the exclamation marks as you see they are inverted at the begining

ex. Juan vendrá a comer ¿te ha dicho a que hora vendrá?
    ex. Pedro dijo en voz alta ¡qué bonito día!

saludos

7. Gozde said:

Quote Originally Posted by xiurell View Post

In Spanish we use two mark to indicate the begin and the end of the sentence and this is for the question and the exclamation marks as you see they are inverted at the begining

saludos
    xiurell,is there a reason or just a rule that can't be explained? If we put only one mark at the end of the sentence ,is it considered wrong,is it a strict rule?

xiurell said:

grammatically speaking is not correct, you have to indicate always the begin and the end of the sentence. It's a rule

If you don't do it is considered wrong written

9. Gozde said:

entiendo , las idiomas son diferentes el uno del otro.?que significa no te corresponde? does it mean'' it is not your business?'' sorry i don't have reversed question mark

xiurell said:

yes
    No te corresponde = No es asunto tuyo = It's not your business

Adrienne said:

Quote Originally Posted by Gozde View Post
    you're welcome,(this is one of the phrases that sound strange to me,we use not at all,not important,it is my pleasure ,etc i know the meaning is similar to those but it still sounds a bit strange which language do you study,spanish linguistic?
    Lol it certanly is strange
    I was studying philology in my high school (english, italian, latin), but now I'm studying diplomacy and security (there i'ms tudying english, spanish and arabic)
    I knew spanish before, but this rule was kinda confusing for me
    Aconteceu
    Estava escrito assim
    Eu em você, você em mim
    Eu te encontrei
    Meu grande amor..

בועז, תתחתן איתי!

Adrienne said:

Quote Originally Posted by xiurell View Post

saludos
    Okay, thanks for th explanation! One more question

Juan vendrá a comer ¿te ha dicho a que hora vendrá?

Those are two separate sentences, right?
    If it's so, do you put capital letter at the beggining of the second one?

Sorry for bothering you, I'm just curious

thanks again!
    Aconteceu
    Estava escrito assim
    Eu em você, você em mim
    Eu te encontrei
    Meu grande amor..

בועז, תתחתן איתי!

maria_gr said:

It's a period with two sentences. A period can have many sentences, in Greek at least, but of course we unite them with comas or other words which can unite them. But this is not our subject (¡tonta! ). I think that in spanish it's not necessary to put coma cause the exclamations show that it's a different sentence.

Btw in ancient Greece many writers didn't write some verbs cause it was easy to guess them (for them!). So I was trying to translate a text which had only one verb. I almost went mad!!! And there were 8 sentences in one period.
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~