Greek dance videos ... a little off topic

Thread: Greek dance videos ... a little off topic

Tags: None
  1. Oberon said:

Default Greek dance videos ... a little off topic

By any chance .... could a member here recommend a Greek Dancing video or DVD.
    I have seen advertised a number of DVDs... that teach Greek Dancing.. are any of them good.... Thank you... Oberon

they can be in English or in Greek...

Tahira said:

Kali Mera Oberon,

I am looking for such DVDs, too.
    But instead of you, I couldnt find any advertisings of that; but I have to admit that I´ve been looking for those only on ebay.

So I hope that somebody can recommend us anything good.

Have a nice day, Tahira

3. Oberon said:

Tahira....I have bought one that is really pretty good... it is obviously taken from and old VHS tape... so sound and image is not always the best...but the steps are clear... it is by Athan Karras... it is in English... and goes over 3 good dances... and then the Zorba... which is a waste..... I wish he would go over the pair dance style in the Styrtos more... but I am on a slow dial up .. and don't know how to convert and post things on Rapidshare.... if I find out.. I will try and post some for you.... it wasn't all that expensive...but I am in USA.. and I see you are in Germany... so it might be expensive for you... lets see.. if anyone offers anything here... Blessings Oberon

4. nikoslefkada said:

Default Greek dance DVD's

A good place to look for Greek dance DVD's is www.grdance.org (Dora Stratou Theatre).
    The better way is to visit Greece and espesialy Lefkada (where i'm from) and watch the International Folklore Festival tha is taking place for more than 45 years every August.

Tahira said:

Giassou Nikos
    that´s a great link; I will look over it, maybe they are selling DVDs. I have attendet a show from the dance groupe in Rhodos. It was very impressing; and many years ago we used to have a dance group from Thessaloniki every year for our city´s sommer festival in our town. My mom was organizing that. But that time I was not interested in dance. Times have changed and now I feel sorry for having missed many chances to get deeper into it.

Thanks a lot Tahira

6. nikoslefkada said:

Thumbs down Giassou Tahira

It's always a pleasure to find people who like greek folk dance. I use to be teacher of greek dance and i still participate in a dance group. I would be happy to help you so that you can find information or get in touch with greek dancer in Germany. Really where are you from?

Tahira said:

Kali Mera Nikos
    I am from the south of germany near Munich. And we have a dance teacher for greek dances here in our town; she is teaching it for more than 15 years and I think she is doing it quite good.
    I am performing oriental dance on a quite high level at cultural events and private parties (weddings, birthdays etc) and I put all my energy and time in this dance. I am just searching for a video with greek traditional steps to see relationship between other folk dances and maybe to integrate folkloric steps into my dance. As there also traditional egypt rhythms and steps integrated into stage dances. Thats why I am mostly interested in a DVD.
    ....and most of all, I am half greek.!

Bye, Tahira