Solved: Greek song about Thessaloniki

Thread: Solved: Greek song about Thessaloniki

Tags: None
  1. tbf325e said:

Default Solved: Greek song about Thessaloniki

Good morning everyone,

I got up very early this morning, made a cup of coffee and all of sudden a memory of a song popped up from a long time ago.

I know it from the time I spent studying at an English university about ten years ago.
    It is a song in Greek about the city of Thessaloniki and it is very sad and longing (even for greek standards). As I do not speak Greek I cannot really say what the singer tells us, but from the sound of it I would expect that he has not seen his beloved city for a long time and wishes to go back.

The only hint that I have is that he calls out "Ah, agapi mou" in a very sad tone of voice two or three times in the song. And I seem to remember that he calls her "glikia" as well and that at some point he also mentions Athina (but I do not belive that it is the song "Gia Thessaloniki-Athina" by Yiannis Vardis, as I have found the words to this song in another thread and they do not seem to fit).

I know that it is a long shot, but it would be brilliant if someone could tell the title of this song (probably "Thessaloniki") and the performer. It really touched me back then and I would love to hear it again.

Thanks to all and have a great weekend,

Tim
  2. nexus9 said:

Default Thessaloniki

I believe you are thinking of "Omorfi Thessaloniki," a rembetiki ("Greek blues") song performed by Vasilis Tsitsanis among others. I'm not a native- though this is an extremely popular song and I only have the original tune in midi to go by. Dimitris Mitropanos also has a popular song about "Thessaloniki mou," more light-hearted. Hope that helps!

Lukas
  3. tbf325e said:

Lukas, thanks for your reply.

I have checked in Itunes and have found "Omorfi Thessaloniki" and "Thessaloniki mou", but, alas, it's not either of them. The song I am thinking of is even more melancholic.

I keep trying to remember more bits of it, but it is kind of difficult after all these years. Strange, however, that it came to my mind in the first place.

Kind regards

Tim
  4. tbf325e said:

Hi,

I found it through another internet forum.

The song is called "Ah, Thessaloniki" by Antonis Vardis.

Now I only need to find where to buy it ...

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards

Tim

Mumbles said:

Thanks for letting us know Enjoy your song!
    Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice
    Y Ddraig Goch ddyry gychwyn
  6. adafaith said:

....seems i'm reading all this two years after hey...... ...anyway, to me it seems the song tbf325e talks about is the one i'm looking the lyrics and translation for....."Magissa Thessaloniki"..... ...anyone there? .....cheers anyway!
    ada*
  7. adafaith said:

.....right, Magissa Thessaloniki isn't at all the same song, true.
    I'm glad you found yours anyway, and.....i found mine!...thanks to Coccinellaseptempunctata. How quick that is! And how great most of all!!....
    ...guess we're happy.
    great.
    ada*
  8. indianadc said:

Default Song

If you haven't found the song yet, than maybe you should try 'thessaloniki mou' by Glykeria, sounds a bit like your 'glikia'
  9. Abhilasha Singh said:

Smile dimitris mitropanos- thessaloniki

Hello Tim...It's too late but I found the song on youtube and here is the link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arp7xsvU0P8

The singer sadly passed away recently. You can read more about him online.

enjoy the song and do let me know if it's the right one

Quote Originally Posted by tbf325e View Post
    Good morning everyone,

I got up very early this morning, made a cup of coffee and all of sudden a memory of a song popped up from a long time ago.

I know it from the time I spent studying at an English university about ten years ago.
    It is a song in Greek about the city of Thessaloniki and it is very sad and longing (even for greek standards). As I do not speak Greek I cannot really say what the singer tells us, but from the sound of it I would expect that he has not seen his beloved city for a long time and wishes to go back.

The only hint that I have is that he calls out "Ah, agapi mou" in a very sad tone of voice two or three times in the song. And I seem to remember that he calls her "glikia" as well and that at some point he also mentions Athina (but I do not belive that it is the song "Gia Thessaloniki-Athina" by Yiannis Vardis, as I have found the words to this song in another thread and they do not seem to fit).

I know that it is a long shot, but it would be brilliant if someone could tell the title of this song (probably "Thessaloniki") and the performer. It really touched me back then and I would love to hear it again.

Thanks to all and have a great weekend,

Tim