Translating names

Thread: Translating names

Tags: None
  1. MoonRiver said:

Default Translating names

Hi

I don't know if you can translate names into Greek, but I have a question,
    the letter 'y' , what is that in the Greek alphabeth?
    (It's like in the name Kayla )

2. nikoslefkada said:

Smile Dear moonriver

“y” is another i (ee) of the five in Greek language. Who ever was the one to spell you the word “kayla”, spelled it wrong. There is not a word like that in the Greek language. I think that he wanted to describe the word “kavla” (when we have theese two letters together “ay” it pronounced “av” or “af”) that means “horny”.

panselinos said:

Όχι, Νίκο. Τς, τς, αισχρολογίες...

"Kayla" is a name and not a Greek one. It has nothing to do with Greek - neither by meaning, nor by etymology.
    I believe MoonRiver does not ask about translation, but about transliteration.
    And she asks about the English letter "y".

So, MoonRiver, do you want the meaning of the name transled into Greek, or you just want the name transliterated in Greek characters?

The name Kayla, for instance. When pronounced KAY-lah, it would look like Κέιλα (ΚΕΪΛΑ in caps, where you'd need the ϊ, because there's no accent to mark off that in this case ε+ι are pronounced separately, rather than ει pronounced like the English "ee" as in "meet".)

4. MoonRiver said:

I want to know how to translate the name Kayla

panselinos said:

From what language, Gàidhlig perhaps?

6. MoonRiver said:

Ehm no, I think it's a Celtic name (France)
    I also know a person who's name is Kay, and that's from England

panselinos said:

Gàidhlig is a Celtic language, aka Gaelic.

8. MoonRiver said:

didn't know, I'm sorry
    my English is ehm.. not so very good :-P

panselinos said:

It's not your fault, "Gàidhlig" is not in English, it's in... Gaelic.

Anyway, the etymology of the name is a bit dubious. It could come from the Celtic languages (Irish or Scottish), and could mean "slender". But it could also come from Yiddish/Hebrew and could mean "laurel crown".
    It's very uncertain where this name actually comes from.

10. MoonRiver said:

okay, thanks very much!
    but if you want to translate it into Greek letters - I don't know if you can do that?
    Kayla becomes then Kα λα
    but the 'y' is missing, is that the 'ι', so then it is Kαιλα ?

panselinos said:

Like I already said, the name Kayla, when pronounced CAY-lah, would look like Κέιλα (ΚΕΪΛΑ in caps, where you'd need the ϊ, because there's no accent to mark off that in this case ε+ι are pronounced separately, rather than ει pronounced like the English "ee" as in "meet".)

Kayla when pronounced KAY-LAH ("kay" as in "kayak") would be Κάιλα (ΚΑΪΛΑ) - the place of the accent is very important, otherwise it would be pronounced as "kela".

angeliki_sr said:

Can someone tell me how the name Uros(Urosh)=Uroš=Урош sounds in Greek?Thanks in advance!Filia
    ...το κορίτσι της ντίσκο...

13. MoonRiver said:

okay thank you!

panselinos said:

Looks like Ούρος and sounds like Uros. There's no "sh" sound in Greek (except for the Cypriot dialect).

15. cebep said:

Hey all. Is there an equivalent name for Stefan in greek?

16. cebep said:

Ohhhh, and if there is, please send it to cebep@mail.bg

panselinos said:

Quote Originally Posted by cebep View Post
    Hey all. Is there an equivalent name for Stefan in greek?
    "Стефан" всъщност Е гръцко име - Στέφανος (Стефанос). Идва от старгогръцката дума "στέφανος" ("стефанос") и означава "венец". На новогръцки думата е "στεφάνι" ("стефани").

В различните езици името се среща под различни форми - Стефан, Степан, Stefan, Stephen, Steven, Esteban... Разпространено е по цял свят благодарение на християнството. Св. първомъченик и архидякон Стефан е раннохристиянски светец - първият от Новия завет. Един от убийците му е Апостол Павел.

angeliki_sr said:

Ok thanks panselinos!!
    ...το κορίτσι της ντίσκο...

19. cebep said:

Panselinos, mersi za prevoda. Az sa6to namerih 1 sait sas zna4eniqta na razli4nite imena i az popadnah na sa6tiq prevod. Zdrave da e!

maria_gr said:

Angeliki mou, your name means that you have been sent from God! I always liked this name.
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~