English To German help: Bette Midler - The Rose

Thread: English To German help: Bette Midler - The Rose

Tags: None
  1. tspack said:

Smile English To German help: Bette Midler - The Rose

Appreciate any help in translating into German - or finding - lyrics to Brtte Midler's 'The Rose'. Thank you!

"The Rose"

Some say love, it is a river that drowns the tender reed. Some say love, it is a razor that leaves your soul to bleed.
    Some say love, it is a hunger, an endless aching need. I say love, it is a flower, and you its only seed.

It's the heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance.
    It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance.
    It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give, and the soul afraid of dyin' that never learns to live.

When the night has been too lonely
    and the road has been too long, and you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
    just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows lies the seed that with the sun's love in the spring becomes the rose.

Steena said:

"The Rose"
    Die Rose

Some say love, it is a river that drowns the tender reed. Some say love, it is a razor that leaves your soul to bleed.
    Some say love, it is a hunger, an endless aching need. I say love, it is a flower, and you its only seed.
    Einige sagen, die Liebe ist wie ein Fluss, der das zarte Schilfrohr überflutet. Einige sagen, Liebe ist wie ein Rasiermesser, dass deine Seele blutend hinterlässt. Einige sagen, Liebe ist ein Hunger, ein endlos schmerzendes Bedürfnis. Ich sage, Liebe ist eine Blume und du ihr einziger Samen.
    It's the heart afraid of breaking that never learns to dance.
    It's the dream afraid of waking that never takes the chance.
    Es ist das Herz, das Angst hat gebrochen zu werden, das nie tanzen lernen wird.
    Es ist der Traum, der Angst vor dem Erwachen hat, der niemals eine Chance ergreifen wird.

It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give, and the soul afraid of dyin' that never learns to live.
    Es ist der, der nicht genommen wird, da er nichts zu geben wollen scheint, und die Seele, die Angst hat zu sterben, die niemals zu leben lernen wird.

When the night has been too lonely
    and the road has been too long, and you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
    just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows lies the seed that with the sun's love in the spring becomes the rose.
    Wenn die Nacht zu einsam war und der Weg zu lang und du denkst, dass die Liebe nur für Glücklichen und Starken gemacht ist, erinner dich einfach daran, dass im Winter weit jenseits des bitteren Schnees ein Samen liegt, der mit der Zuneigung der Sonne im Frühling zu einer Rose wird.

beautiful lyrics!
    होता है जो होना है ... वक़्त ही शायद खुदा है ...
    कौन कहता है आदमी अपनी किस्मत खुद लिखता है?

Layla said:

I just wanted to post the lyrics in German, Steena. You were faster than me.
    Yes indeed, beautiful lyrics.

Steena said:

Did you translate them on your own or have you found a translation? it might be interesting to compare them and correct mine.

Layla said:

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Steena View Post
    Did you translate them on your own or have you found a translation? it might be interesting to compare them and correct mine.
    Ich habe diese Versen zu übersetzen versucht, aber ich glaube, dass deine Übersetzung besser ist.

Einige sagen, dass Liebe, ein Fluss ist, die das zarte Schilf ertrinkt.
    Einige sagen, dass Liebe, ein Rasiermesser ist, der die Seele zu bluten lässt.
    Einige sagen, dass Liebe, ein Hunger ist, eine endlose schmerzende Notwendigkeit.
    Ich sage, dass Liebe, eine Blume ist, und du ihr einziges Samen.

Es ist das Herz, dass vom Brechen ängstlich ist, das nie zu tanzen erlernt.
    Es ist der Traum, der vom Aufwecken ängstlich ist, das sich nie die Chance übernimmt.
    Es ist das Wer, das nicht genommen wird, der nicht zu geben scheinen kann, und die Seele ängstlich vom sterben, die nie zu leben erlernt.

Wenn die Nacht zu einsam gewesen ist
    und die Strasse zu lang, und du denkst, dass Liebe nur für die Glückliche und die Stärkere ist,
    erinnere dich einfach, dass im Winter weit unter dem bitteren Schnee, der Samen liegt, der mit der Liebe des Sonnes im Früjahr, die Rose wird.

Ich habe mehr so Wort bei Wort übersetzt. Ich mag deine Übersetzung mehr, auf jedenfalls.

Steena said:

Aber gut ist die Übersetzung dennoch! Man merkt, dass du eher Wort für Wort übersetzt hast, bei den Artikel und Kommas sind ein paar Fehler, aber sonst kann man sie auch gut verstehen! Und das mit dem Traum und der Chance stimmt nicht ganz.

It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give...
    Es ist der, der nicht genommen wird, da er nichts zu geben wollen scheint,

I was thinking about this again.. maybe it's better to say "Es ist der, der nicht genommen wird, da er nichts zu geben können scheint"... cannot is more "können" than "wollen" and there's quite a difference between can and want..

Layla said:

Quote Originally Posted by Steena View Post
    Aber gut ist die Übersetzung dennoch! Man merkt, dass du eher Wort für Wort übersetzt hast, bei den Artikel und Kommas sind ein paar Fehler, aber sonst kann man sie auch gut verstehen! Und das mit dem Traum und der Chance stimmt nicht ganz.

It's the one who won't be taken, who cannot seem to give...
    Es ist der, der nicht genommen wird, da er nichts zu geben wollen scheint,

I was thinking about this again.. maybe it's better to say "Es ist der, der nicht genommen wird, da er nichts zu geben können scheint"... cannot is more "können" than "wollen" and there's quite a difference between can and want..
    Ja, du hast Recht! ''können'' geht besser als ''wollen''! Ich habe übersetzt: ''der nicht zu geben scheinen kann'' aber ''da er nichts zu geben können scheint'' klingt viel besser.

8. ralphdn said:

Default Lyrics to the Rose - Translation to German

I am an American musician, I live in Frankfurt, Germany and am fluent in both German and English. I joined this forum tonight after reading this thread.

Bette Midler's "The Rose" is a song which - in my opinion - simply cannot be translated without losing its entire emotional content. I have spent hours listening to this song at my PC while reading the lyrics - there is so much feeling in it that it approaches blasphemy to attempt to transfer it to another language.

I am certain that you will be able to find some German words that rhyme nicely and sound OK when sung or spoken along with the melody of this soul-searching, emotionally shattering song. But you will not be able to convey the deep, moving spirit of the song in another language.

Maybe I've misunderstood the goal of this thread; it might not be to create lyrics which can be seriously sung in public in German, but rather just to find words which present at least part of the feeling of the song in the German language, in which case there is of course nothing to be said against your efforts, and Steena's text in #2 above is truly a beautiful translation, although, of course, something's missing.

I'm sure that there are other songs which convey a similar emotional feeling in the German language. But these songs were created by someone whose initial goal was to convey a feeling in the German language, and didn't have a powerful, almost scary basis in a song like "The Rose." Every time I hear this song, I have tears in my eyes, both from sadness and from joy, I'll never understand why.

If you do want to present the song in public with a musical combo I'd suggest that you forget about translating it, and sing the song in English and continue to convey its tremendous content.

All the best,
    Ralph
    Last edited by ralphdn; 12-23-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Tahira said:

Good Morning Ralph,

you are absolutely right; many songs you cannot translate full as you cannot transport the meaning in between the lines.

But I guess tspack is maybe not so familiar with english language and wanted to get the meaning of the song in german (probably his mother tongue).

The same goes for me, when I listen to some arabic songs I think for example "why does the singer sound so sad..." and I want to get the meaning/message of the song wihtout having the attention to sing it in german.

By the Way: WELCOME TO THIS FORUMS! So if you are familiar with english and german you will be a big help in translations.

...and Merry Christmas...

Tahira