Arabic Songs, Lyrics, and Translations.

Thread: Arabic Songs, Lyrics, and Translations.

Tags: None
  1. cronin said:

Default Arabic Songs, Lyrics, and Translations.

Hi,

I have a few specific questions:

1. What are some really popular modern Arabic songs? (modern meaning new songs within the last 2 years).
    2. Are there a lot of songs in Fus7a or are they usually in regional dialect? I speak Fus7a at the intermediate level and some Egyptian so I am looking for music in either of those (prefer Fus7a though).
    3. I see that we can request translations on this forum; however, the Arabic lyrics are written in transliterated English. Are there any websites that display the Arabic in Arabic script?

Thanks,
    Cronin.

Maviii said:

Quote Originally Posted by cronin View Post
    Hi,

I have a few specific questions:

1. What are some really popular modern Arabic songs? (modern meaning new songs within the last 2 years).
    2. Are there a lot of songs in Fus7a or are they usually in regional dialect? I speak Fus7a at the intermediate level and some Egyptian so I am looking for music in either of those (prefer Fus7a though).
    3. I see that we can request translations on this forum; however, the Arabic lyrics are written in transliterated English. Are there any websites that display the Arabic in Arabic script?

Thanks,
    Cronin.
    1. withen the last two years there is 1000 songs new
    2. the fus7a songs are very little coz usually every singer in the arabian world
    sing songs by his accent ..
    3. yes there is arabic sites for songs & for many things more

just tell me what type of songs & site u want & i`ll do my best to help u
    * usually the sites is in arabic fus7a script but it also
    have accents which depends on the site country .
    I hope i express for you a little bit

3. cronin said:

Thanks Maviii,

1. I am interested in the "hits" so to speak. Out of the 1,000 songs that came out over the last two years, there must be some that stand out. If I were to ask you, "Think of 5 new singers/songs that you really like" what would you say?

2. Syrian is the closest dialect to Fus7a, right? If so, what are popular Syrian singers?

Maviii said:

Dear cronin...
    Most of fus7a songs are national songs which they sing to country or
    for wars u know .. but there is old songs which is Fus7a & in the same time
    its subject about love .. so am wondering what kind u want..
    also syrian songs are not the closest to fus7a

But i`ll tell u what ..
    I`ll write here some examples for popular singers from different arab countries
    & u choose what u like

from lebanon:
    (Big artists are)
    fairouz
    melhem barakat
    wadee3 al safi
    Azar habib
    and many more ...
    new generation super stars in lebanon are
    ragheb alameh
    assi el hellani
    ramy ayach
    najwa karam
    nawal el zoughbi
    zien el omr
    melhem zien
    julia botruos
    Elissa
    marwan khouri
    wael kfouri
    fadl shaker
    nancy ajram...etc)

from egypt:
    Big old artists are
    um kolthoum
    abd alhaleem hafez..etc)

egypt super stars
    amr diab
    hani shaker
    angham
    tamer husni
    sherien abd el wahab
    ...etc)
    from Gulf
    Mohammad abdo
    rashed el majed
    abdullah rweished

iraqi singers:
    kathem al saher
    elham madfa3i
    majed el muhandis
    ...etc)

also here is the link for some new generation singers video clips
    from different arab countries
    http://www.listenarabic.com/

But if u ask me what i hear or what is the favorite for me
    maybe u dont like the style i prefer .. although i dont prefer one exactly
    but the best for me is the oldies
    lebanon old singers ..
    also i listen to all but not for all their songs so its hard to tell what is the best five u know..
    any way if u wanna special songs which have great meanings or its own mood
    i can tell some ..
    * But i should know ur style in songs so then i can choose for u what u`ll may like ..

5. cronin said:

Maviii,

Thank you for the extensive list. I don't really have a favorite "style" in Arabic because I haven't really listened extensively to different types of Arabic music. So, I am more in the process of determining my style than choosing from styles.

However, I do know of an Arabic band from Lebanon that I listen to frequently. You may have heard of them but they are certainly not similar or as popular as anyone one on the lists below. Their name is JaDaL and they are considered one of the first "Arab Rock" bands.

Hmm, interesting, I had always thought Syrian was closest to Fus7a. Which dialect is closest?

Maviii said:

I mean what is ur style in general not just in arabic
    coz if u listen to rock bands for example .. you may like 4cats or
    ziad rahbani songs style .. i hope u get my point..

& about/ Which dialect is closest?
    I think no one is closest coz it complicated thing & accents,
    thats why is arabic language is soo deep & the (fus7a) is soo pure!

7. cronin said:

Ah, I understand now. Let's see...

My regular rotation (pretty much listen to these every time I open iTunes):
    - David Gray
    - Jack Johnson
    - Dispatch
    - The Fray
    - Jack's Mannequin
    - Something Corporate
    - Jimmy Eat World
    - Live
    - Snow Patrol
    - Coldplay
    - Counting Crows

Then, of course:
    - Bob Dylan
    - Jimmy Hendrix

So, I suppose I would say my musical taste ranges from Alternative, Techno (big fan of techno), Rock, and Classic Rock. I am a huge fan of anything with an easy tune and an acoustic guitar - just relaxing. Also, having lived in Egypt for a bit, I have an aversion to any song with habibi in it haha. So perhaps love songs aren't my favorite - especially if it is a male singer. Their are some songs by female singers that I like listening to where habibi dominates the lyrics.

I was actually browsing YouTube and found Nicole Saba - Tab3i Keda. I kind of like that, she has a good voice. I read a little about her and is seems some people don't like her. Not sure why. Anyways, it's a little difficult to understand her as I don't know that dialect very well.

I understand what you're saying about the dialects... I wish there were more modern songs in Fus7a, it would be a really good language learning tool.

I'll check out 4cats and Ziad Rahbani, sounds interesting. Thanks for the help so far!

8. cronin said:

I checked out 4 Cats but couldn't find anything on YouTube by Ziad Rahbani. 4 Cats aren't really my taste... they are more of an Pop group with Folk influences... For an example of the "Arab Rock" that I prefer, refer to JaDaL. I've listed some songs from their website that I really like (this band, as I had forgot to mention, is also part of my regular rotation).

http://jadalband.com/

- El Daraweesh
    - Bayya3 El Kastana
    - Salma
    - Ah La 3oroobah

(translations of any of these would be much appreciated... except Ah La 3oroobah because I already have it transcribed in Arabic)

Again, it's in Jordanian so it's hard to understand. Hah, Fus7a has been hard enough to learn... now I have to know all the dialects.

Oh, I also like Saif Shaheen and Ilham Al-Madfai. They seem like they are Iraqi Santana's.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rAZA08yRBYc&feature=related

9. ausaqi said:

Default cronin

kathem al saher is the best singer and the only one who sings fus7a in every album he releases.

give me ur e mail or contact me on ausaqi@yahoo.com.au so i can send u some songs along with the lyrics

u can check my "www.myspace.com/ausaqi" u'll find some arabic clips. hope u'll like it

if u have any question concerning arabic i'll b more than happy 2 answer.

10. cronin said:

Sent an e-mail, thanks!

11. Ali_hmd said:

Quote Originally Posted by cronin View Post
    Maviii,
    ...frequently. You may have heard of them but they are certainly not similar or as popular as anyone one on the lists below. Their name is JaDaL and they are considered one of the first "Arab Rock" bands.

?
    Hey cronin ....
    Jadal band is from Jordan NOT Lebanon, and they were the first arabic rock band i heared!
    check their website for songs maybe u find lyrics
    http://www.jadalband.com

by the way if your still looking try try yuri mra2adi, he;s a lebanees singer

12. 19141_k said:

Hi i was looking for lyrics to an older song by hamada helal called taheyaty.can someone help me with it. Thanks