Italian to English Help!

Thread: Italian to English Help!

Tags: None
  1. cindycady@bellsouth.net said:

Default Italian to English Help!

Could someone please translate this song to English?

Via Con Mi

Via, via, vieni via di qui,

niente più ti lega a questi luoghi,

neanche questi fiori azzurri…

via, via, neache questo tempo grigio

pieno di musiche e di uomini che ti son piaciuti,

It’s wonderfoul, it’s wonderfoul, it’s wonderfoul

good luck my babe, it’s wonderfoul,

it’s wonderfoul, it’s wonderfoul, I dream of you…

chips, chips, du-du-du-du-du

Via, via, vieni via con me

entra in questo anore buio, non perderti per niente al mondo…

via, via, non perderti per niente al mondo

Lo spettacolo d’ arte varia di uno innamorato di te,

it’s wonderfoul, it’s wonderfoul…

Via, via, vieni via con me,

entra in questo amore buio pieno di uomini

via, via, entra e fatti un bagno caldo

c’è un accappatoio azzurro, fuori piove un mondo freddo,

it’s wonderfoul, it’s wonderfoul…

2. emyiakab said:

I play a little, I learnt Italian from some friends, but as far as I am concerned these lyrics are strange both in Italian and English.
    Here it is, any correction is accepted, I just play, my Italian is poor, but i do understand a lot.

Away with me

Away, away, get away with me
    Nothing more binds you to these places
    Not even these blue flowers
    Let's get away, let's get away, not even this grey time
    Full of musics and people that you liked

It's wonderfull-repeated-your lines, so I skip

Away Away, let's get away
    Enter this dark love, don't get lost for anything in the world
    away, away, don't get lost for anything in the world
    The art spectacle differs depending on someone who is in love with you

It's wonderfull .....

Away , away, let's get away.
    Enter this dark love full of people
    Away, away, enter and take a warm bath
    There s a blue bath gown (nearby), it rains a cold world outside

It s wonderfull......

I skipped the English lines.I m not sure I found the right translation for vieni via, if I remember well the expression in Italian has the meaning of going away from here, but as a matter of fact it is something like let's go, I guess.....the rest of the translation should be ok.

3. Roberto_d said:

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Sure, no problem

Via, via, vieni via di qui, niente più
    ti lega a questi luoghi, neanche questi fiori azzurri...
    via, via, neanche questo tempo grigio pieno di musiche e di uomini che ti son piacuti,

Away, away, come away from here, nothing more
    ties you to these places, not even these blue flowers...
    away, away not even this grey time full of music and men who you once liked (fancied),
    .................................................. .................................................. ............

It's wonderful, it's wonderful, it's wonderful
    good luck my babe, it's wonderful, it's wonderful, it's wonderful
    I dream of you... chips, chips, du-du-du-du
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Via, via, vieni via con me, entra in questo amore buio, non perderti per niente al mondo...
    via, via, non perderti per niente al mondo lo spettacolo d'arte varia di uno innamorato di te

Away, away, come away with me, come into this dark love, don't lose yourself for anything on earth...
    away, away, don't lose yourself for anything on earth this art show of one who's in love with you
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...just thought I'd mention, this isn't Benigni's song, but rather it's attributed to Paolo Conte, though many others have reproduced it.

This is a translation of Jabberwocky from this song from Paolo Conte.

4. cindycady@bellsouth.net said:

Smile Via Con Mi

Thanks, this is big help. The lyrics are better than I'd hoped. What a great song.

5. emyiakab said:

well, I see u got a better translation than mine....I have rarely seen such nice people as the ones I met on this forum.

6. cindycady@bellsouth.net said:

Both translations were helpful. Thanks so much.
    Do you know what Mole (sp?) means in English? It's a Hawaiian word that someone named my little racing sailboat.

7. emyiakab said:

well, yes I do know, only that I can t explain...but I ll try, it is an animal similar to rat but lives in the fields, it is bigger.The word also has a secondary meaning, a figurate one, it refers to those kind of people who deliberately skip information which shouldn t get to the other side....in a large sense, people who betray u in any other relationship than love....I think, but do not forget that I m not a native speaker.

8. cindycady@bellsouth.net said:

Wow. Very interesting. Thanks.

9. emyiakab said:

welcome.any time

10. cindycady@bellsouth.net said:

Default Via Con Mi

I really love this song and it's message, and am thinking about sending it to my boyfriend who seems to need a little encouragement. Does anyone want to take a shot at what "chips, chips" translates to, or means in the song? The lyrics seem just right, but my boyfriend's name is Chip, and that's a little strange. I'm trying to figure that part out.

11. Lady_A said:

The song is the soundtrack of the movie "Ricette d'amore" (Love recipes), so I guess it's appropriate.

12. cindycady@bellsouth.net said:

Thanks! It's also in the soundtrack for "No Reservations", a movie about 2 chefs.

13. Roberto_d said:

I have heard this song in the Tu mi turbi film by Roberto benigni. :-)

14. Lady_A said:

I guess No reservations and Ricette d'amore are the same movie

15. cindycady@bellsouth.net said:

I guess so. Thanks so much. Do you know how to say, "my friend", in Italian?

16. Lady_A said:

"amico mio"

17. cindycady@bellsouth.net said:

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

bulldog767 said:

Smile chips, chips..

Quote Originally Posted by cindycady@bellsouth.net View Post
    Does anyone want to take a shot at what "chips, chips" translates to, or means in the song?
    Hi cindycady,
    actually, those words have no real meaning in the song. The music of Paolo Conte is strongly influenced by jazz (as you can hear) and he often likes to use a particular way of singing known as "Scat" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scat_singing ).
    That's why you can happen to hear things like "zazzarazzaz" (in "Bartali") or "du-dad-du-dad" (in "Sotto Le Stelle Del Jazz"), etc.
    It's the same as for Lucio Dalla.

Ciao! :-)

19. cindycady@bellsouth.net said:

Thanks!

20. 80's music guy said:

Default chips, chips...

Quote Originally Posted by cindycady@bellsouth.net View Post
    I really love this song and it's message, and am thinking about sending it to my boyfriend who seems to need a little encouragement. Does anyone want to take a shot at what "chips, chips" translates to, or means in the song? The lyrics seem just right, but my boyfriend's name is Chip, and that's a little strange. I'm trying to figure that part out.

That part threw me off when I first heard it, too. I wondered why there way something humorous sounding in the middle of the song. But after listening to it a couple of times I realized that he was imitating instruments, like at the end of a stanza. Chips, chips (cymbals), da de doo de doo (horns), che boom, boom (cymbals and kettle/bass drum).