please help me transalate "to melaxrinaki"

Thread: please help me transalate "to melaxrinaki"

Tags: None
  1. feritina said:

Default please help me transalate "to melaxrinaki"

i will be so glad if somebody can help me translate this song!!!
    here are the lyrics :

vre melaxrinaki, me potises farmaki
    me potises farmaki, vre melaxrinaki

ta olomaura sou matia, me kanane xilia kommatia
    me kanane xilia kommatia, ta olomaura sou matia

vre melaxrinaki me apiase meraki
    ela ws edw pou se laxtarw

thank you in advance!!!!

maria_gr said:

brunet girl, you grieved me
    you grieved me, brunet girl

your pitch-black eyes, broke me into thousands of pieces
    they broke me into thousands of pieces, your pitch-black eyes

vre melaxrinaki me epiase meraki
    brunet girl I have a great yearning
    ela ws edw pou se laxtarw
    come here that I desire you

your pitch-black eyes, broke me into thousands of pieces
    they broke me into thousands of pieces, your pitch-black eyes

Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

3. dya said:

Although I understand the words, I find it very difficult to figure out the english equivalents for them!!

So, "code":
    Βρε is a way of addressing someone, other than calling that person by the name or simply saying, "Hey, you". I'll use "you" as I can't find a correct english word for it

μελαχρινάκι--is a diminutive from the word brunette.

Μελαχρινάκι --Μάκης Χριστοδουλόπουλος

Βρε μελαχρινάκι με πότισες φαρμάκι -- You, brunette, fed me poison(gave me some bitter stuff to drink,actually!)
    Με πότισες φαρμάκι βρε μελαχρινάκι --You fed me poison, you brunette

Τα ολόμαυρά σου μάτια με κάνουνε χίλια κομμάτια --Your black eyes(totally black eyes) made me(actually cut me into) thousands of pieces
    Με κάνουνε χίλια κομμάτια τα ολόμαυρά σου μάτια --Cut me into thousands of pieces

Βρε μελαχρινάκι μ' έπιασε μεράκι --You, brunette, you caught me (I need help with this one, i guess it's an expression of some sort)
    Έλα ως εδώ που σε λαχταρώ --Come here where I adore you(OR that/because I adore you)
    Τα ολόμαυρά σου μάτια με κάνουνε χίλια κομμάτια --Your black eyes(totally black eyes) made me(actually cut me into) thousands of pieces
    Με κάνουνε χίλια κομμάτια τα ολόμαυρά σου μάτια --Cut me into thousands of pieces

Βρε μελαχρινάκι με πότισες φαρμάκι -- You, brunette, fed me poison
    Με πότισες φαρμάκι βρε μελαχρινάκι --You fed me poison, you brunette

4. dya said:

OOpppsss! Just ignore my post! Focus on Maria's translation!

Zvezda said:

I would just like to make a few comments, just for fun. No offence to anyone

Με πότησες φαρμάκι does not have it's literal sense of making somebody drink poison, but making somebody extremely sad, drown in sorrow to be precise. So Maria's translation captures better the essence of the song. I can't help feeling that "grieve= mourn somebody's death", could be replaced with "made me drown in sorrow, or gave me sorrow", as the singer was not dead at the time of singing the song, and probably isn't now either.
    Bio je Novembar 2009 godine, zamišljao sam kako hodaš ulicom Bana Jelačića cipelama od zmijske kože..

6. dya said:

Thank you for the exaplanation. As you can notice, I'm not a native speaker, I'm just learning the language and try my hand on various translations. I always welcome any explanations/corrections/error pointings. That's why I left my translation in here, although Maria had already provided a perfect one. I was hoping someone would take a look and tell me what was wrong in my attempt! So..thank you

What about μ' έπιασε μεράκι ? What exactly does it mean?

Zvezda said:

Quote Originally Posted by dya View Post
    Thank you for the exaplanation. As you can notice, I'm not a native speaker, I'm just learning the language and try my hand on various translations. I always welcome any explanations/corrections/error pointings. That's why I left my translation in here, although Maria had already provided a perfect one. I was hoping someone would take a look and tell me what was wrong in my attempt! So..thank you
    I think that for a non-native speaker you did a great job! *thumbs up*

Quote Originally Posted by dya View Post
    What about μ' έπιασε μεράκι ? What exactly does it mean?
    It's hard to translate. Some expressions cannot be translated literaly, but I think Maria gave a decent translation of it.
    Bio je Novembar 2009 godine, zamišljao sam kako hodaš ulicom Bana Jelačića cipelama od zmijske kože..

8. dya said:

Thank you again And I have no doubt about Maria's translation.

I was just curious what that expression means word-by-word, and that is because I found various translations for the word μεράκι and didn't know which meaning is actually used in this expression. I realise that alltogether the expression exceeds the meaning of the words within, but I was wondering about the very meaning of the words, outside the expression itself.

maria_gr said:

@Dya: My dear friend my translations are not perfect, I know greek of course but my English isn’t good enough to translate perfectly some greek phrases. And your translations are very good, believe me, cause I always read them and I don’t find terrible mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zvezda View Post
    I would just like to make a few comments, just for fun. No offence to anyone

Με πότησες φαρμάκι does not have it's literal sense of making somebody drink poison, but making somebody extremely sad, drown in sorrow to be precise. So Maria's translation captures better the essence of the song. I can't help feeling that "grieve= mourn somebody's death", could be replaced with "made me drown in sorrow, or gave me sorrow", as the singer was not dead at the time of singing the song, and probably isn't now either.
    Of course you don’t want to offend anybody here and your corrections are always welcome. I want to thank you for your correction cause I thought (till now ) that grieve means πικραίνω, so I thought that it would be the closer translation of this phrase, but now I see that it has very different meaning, lol. If you see similar mistakes in my translations, please make a comment and correct them cause that’s a way to learn the right thing and improve my English (which is awful ).
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

10. dya said:

Ευχαριστώ, Μαρια μου And your English is far from being awful, trust me. You wouldn't have been able to make all those translations you've made around here if your English had been awful!

11. feritina said:

thank you so much guys!!!
    i really appreciate your help!!!

thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!

lne said:

Cool

hello i'm new member,greek,and my english are realy bad, but i want to help dya to undersant what is meraki. well meraki is the desire, the sadness of someone who is not satisfied.is a usual greek word but is used better in songs, in the popular rempetika tragoudia(=songs).also in greek when we want to say that somebody do something very good and he or she ''fight'' to do that we say that he or she do it that with meraki, with all his heart. i hope you get the meaning!!

13. dya said:

Σ'ευχαριστώ πάρα πολύ για την εξήγησή σου. Κατάλαβα τώρα

Και τα Αγγλικά σου είναι πολύ καλά

Zvezda said:

@Maria: don't underestimate yourself, even native speakers make mistakes. Everyone on this forum has done a great job! We are not professional translators, mistakes are inevitable and we can learn from each other

lne said:

euxaristo!!