edith piaf "dan ma rue"

Thread: edith piaf "dan ma rue"

Tags: None
  1. ivresse said:

Default edith piaf "dan ma rue"

hello to helping hands!
    below i wrote the lyrics to her "dan ma rue" song
    and came up with my own translation with the little french i know
    can anyone who is familiar with slang french and can make the translation smoother for me please by correcting the awkward parts.
    much thanks.

J'habite un coin du vieux Montmartre I live at the corner of old montmartre
    Mon père rentre soûl tous les soirs my father returns drunk every night
    Et pour nous nourrir tous les quatre and the four of us are fed
    Ma pauvre mére travaille au lavoir. My poor mother works at the washhouse
    Moi j'suis malade, j'rêve à ma fenêtre me I am sick, I dream through my window
    Je regarde passer les gens d'ailleurs I look pass people moreover
    Quand le jour vient à disparaître when the day comes to vanish
    Il y a des choses qui me font un peu peur there are things that brought me a little fear

Dans ma rue il y a des gens qui s' prominent in my street there are people who take a walk
    J'les entends chuchoter dans la nuit I hear their whispers in the night
    Quand je m'endors bercée par une rengaine when I’m sent to sleep nourished by the corny old tunes
    J'suis soudain réveillée par des cris I am suddenly waken from the cries
    Des coups d'sifflet, des pas qui traînent, qui vont et viennent the final whistle, to stop those lurking, who go and come
    Puis le silence qui me fait froid dans tout le Coeur then the silence that makes me cold in every heart

Dans ma rue il y a des ombres qui s' prominent in my street there are ghosts who take a walk
    Et je tremble et j'ai froid et j'ai peur and I shake and I am cold and I am afraid

Mon père m'a dit un jour : "la fille, my father he tells me one day: “ daughter,
    Tu ne vas pas rester là sans fin you will not stay here without an end
    T'es bonn' à rien, ça c'est d'famille you are good at nothing, this is familly
    Faudrait voir à gagner ton pain it’s a mistake to see at earning enough for your bread
    Les hommes te trouvent plutôt jolie the men find you rather pretty
    Tu n'auras qu'à sortir le soir you go out at night
    Il y'a bien des femmes qui gagnent leur vie there are good women who acquire their lives
    En "s' ballant sur le trottoir" in “ dangling themselves over the sidewalk”

Dans ma rue il y a des femmes qui s' prominent in my street there are women who take a walk
    J'les entends fredonner dans la nuit I hear them sing softly in the night
    Quand je m'endors bercée par une rengaine when I’m sent to sleep nourished by the corny old tunes
    J'suis soudain réveillée par des cris I am suddenly am waken from the cries
    Des coups d'sifflet, des pas qui traînent, qui vont et viennent the final whistle, to stop those lurking, who go and come

Puis le silence qui me fait froid dans tout le Coeur then the silence that makes me cold in all the hearts

Dans ma rue il y a des femmes qui s' prominent in my street there are women who take a walk
    Et je tremble et j'ai froid et j'ai peur and I shake and I’m cold and I’m afraid

Et depuis des semaines et des semaines and after weaks and the weak
    J'ai plus d' maison, j'ai plus d'argent I have more home,I have more money
    J' sais pas comment les autres s'y prennent I know the others
    Mais j'ai pas pu trouver d' client but I didn’t try looking for clinets
    J'demande l'aumône aux gens qui passent I asked all people who passed by for charity
    Un morceau d' pain, un peu d' chaleur a piece of bread, a little bit of warmth
    J'ai pourtant pas beaucoup d'audace I had however not much of boldness
    Maintenant c'est moi qui leur fait peur now it is me who fears them

Dans ma rue tous les soirs je m' promène in my street all nights I go for a walk
    On m'entend sangloter dans la nuit they hear me sob in the night
    Quand le vent jette au ciel sa rengaine when the wind drops from the heavens it's corny old tune
    Tout mon corps est glacé par la pluie all my body is ice for the rain

Mais je n' peux plus, j'attends sans cesse que le bon Dieu vienne but I can’t anymore, I waited ceaselessly
    for the good god to come
    Pour m'inviter à me réchauffer tout près de Lui for an invitation to be warmed all near him

Dans ma rue il y a des anges qui m'emmènent in my street there are angles who took me
    Pour toujours mon cauchemar est fini for always my nightmares are finished!

2. birdman said:

j'habite un coin du vieux Montmartre I live at the corner of old montmartre
    Mon père rentre soûl tous les soirs my father returns drunk every night
    Et pour nous nourrir tous les quatre and the four of us are fed
    And in order to feed us
    Ma pauvre mére travaille au lavoir. My poor mother works at the washhouse
    Moi j'suis malade, j'rêve à ma fenêtre me I am sick, I dream through my window
    Je regarde passer les gens d'ailleurs I look pass people moreover
    I watch the people pass
    Quand le jour vient à disparaître when the day comes to vanish
    Il y a des choses qui me font un peu peur there are things that brought me a little fear
    This is Ok but should be in present tense

Dans ma rue il y a des gens qui s' prominent in my street there are people who take a walk
    J'les entends chuchoter dans la nuit I hear their whispers in the night
    bercee=rocked to sleep, soothed
    J'suis soudain réveillée par des cris I am suddenly waken from the cries
    Blows on whistles, lingering footsteps, which comme and go
    Puis le silence qui me fait froid dans tout le Coeur then the silence that makes me cold in every heart

Dans ma rue il y a des ombres qui s' prominent in my street there are ghosts who take a walk
    Et je tremble et j'ai froid et j'ai peur and I shake and I am cold and I am afraid

Mon père m'a dit un jour : "la fille, my father he tells me one day: “ daughter,
    Tu ne vas pas rester là sans fin you will not stay here without an end
    OR forvever
    T'es bonn' à rien, ça c'est d'famille you are good at nothing, this is familly
    You're good for nothing, it's a family trait
    Faudrait voir à gagner ton pain it’s a mistake to see at earning enough for your bread
    You ought to try to find a way to...

Les hommes te trouvent plutôt jolie the men find you rather pretty
    Tu n'auras qu'à sortir le soir you go out at night
    You'd only have to go out [to work] at night
    Il y'a bien des femmes qui gagnent leur vie there are good women who acquire their lives
    earn their living
    En "s' ballant sur le trottoir" in “ dangling themselves over the sidewalk”
    swaying their hips
    J'les entends fredonner dans la nuit I hear them sing softly in the night
    J'suis soudain réveillée par des cris I am suddenly am waken from the cries

Puis le silence qui me fait froid dans tout le Coeur then the silence that makes me cold in all the hearts
    my whole heart

Et je tremble et j'ai froid et j'ai peur and I shake and I’m cold and I’m afraid

Et depuis des semaines et des semaines and after weaks and the weak
    And now it's already been weeks and weeks that
    J'ai plus d' maison, j'ai plus d'argent I have more home,I have more money
    no longer a home, money
    J' sais pas comment les autres s'y prennent I know the others
    I don't know how the others go about it/manage it
    Mais j'ai pas pu trouver d' client but I didn’t try looking for clinets
    I couldn't find any
    J'demande l'aumône aux gens qui passent I asked all people who passed by for charity
    Un morceau d' pain, un peu d' chaleur a piece of bread, a little bit of warmth
    J'ai pourtant pas beaucoup d'audace I had however not much of boldness
    Maintenant c'est moi qui leur fait peur now it is me who fears them
    I make them afraid

Dans ma rue tous les soirs je m' promène in my street all nights I go for a walk
    On m'entend sangloter dans la nuit they hear me sob in the night
    Quand le vent jette au ciel sa rengaine when the wind drops from the heavens it's corny old tune
    Tout mon corps est glacé par la pluie all my body is ice for the rain

Mais je n' peux plus, j'attends sans cesse que le bon Dieu vienne but I can’t anymore, I waited ceaselessly
    for the good god to come
    Pour m'inviter à me réchauffer tout près de Lui for an invitation to be warmed all near him

Dans ma rue il y a des anges qui m'emmènent in my street there are angles who took me
    are taking me away
    Pour toujours mon cauchemar est fini for always my nightmares are finished!

3. ivresse said:

Default merci!

thank you so much for your help birdman!

i have a few question, if you or anyone else can get the chance to answer, it will mean alot.

Et pour nous nourrir tous les quatre (And in order to feed us)
    is it "in order to feed us all four"?

Je regarde passer les gens d'ailleurs (I watch the people pass)
    what is the use of the word d'ailleurs?

does "Faudrait voir" mean "You ought to try"?

is "s' ballant sur le trottoir" a common saying meaning "swaying their hips"?
    in other words can this be used in other context? if yes which?

i hope this will also help others who are interested in French and eith piaf!

much thanks
    ivresse

4. Jeff said:

Some answers to your questions :

"is it "in order to feed us all four"?
    Yes, it is.

"d'ailleurs" means morever, besides.

"fraudrait voir à gagner ton pain"
    means "You ought to try to earn your living"

"En s'ballant sur le trottoir"
    means "in working as prostitute"

5. birdman said:

Thanks Jef. Just a couple extra comments:

'D'ailleurs' usually means moreover but here probably has more literal meaning. ie. gens d'ailleurs =? people from other neighbourhoods/strangers.

To be honest translating 's'ballant' as 'swaying their hips' was just a guess that seemed to fit: baller is sometimes used to describe something that is swaying/oscillating.

However after listening to the song and checking other versons of the lyrics I think it should be 's'balladant sur le trottoir', where
    se balader = (lit) to take oneself for a stroll.
    Thus you could translate the line as: 'by pacing the streets.'

6. Jeff said:

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Thanks Jef. Just a couple extra comments:

'D'ailleurs' usually means moreover but here probably has more literal meaning. ie. gens d'ailleurs =? people from other neighbourhoods/strangers.
    You are perfectly right. It's definitevely "people from other neighbourhoods". Thank you for the correction.

To be honest translating 's'ballant' as 'swaying their hips' was just a guess that seemed to fit: baller is sometimes used to describe something that is swaying/oscillating.

However after listening to the song and checking other versons of the lyrics I think it should be 's'balladant sur le trottoir', where
    se balader = (lit) to take oneself for a stroll.
    Thus you could translate the line as: 'by pacing the streets.'
    I dont think so. Just see the context of this part of the lyrics : "her father saying that she's good for nothing", "that she must earn her living (gagner son pain)", "that men find her good looking(plutot jolie)", so... she may (sortir sur le trottoir) and earns their living like some others women... in the streets".

Do you know many women "plutôt jolie" earning their living in just "pacing the streets", if you see what I mean.

So I think it's an "argot" expression where "en s'ballant sur le trottoir" means "en s'emballant (in making her attractive) sur le trottoir" means "en s'offrant (to expose) sur le trottoir" means clearly "en faisant le trottoir (Faire le trottoir)" means "in working as prostitute" to earn one's living.

All the song is just about the rough life in her street (Dans ma rue) du "vieux Montmartre".

7. birdman said:

I agree that the line means 'by working as a prostitute.' I was just trying to express it euphemistically.

Here,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDLC2...eature=related
    it sounds like s'baladant but s'embellant would make sense too

8. Jeff said:

I agree that the line means 'by working as a prostitute.' I was just trying to express it euphemistically.

Here,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDLC2...eature=related
    it sounds like s'baladant but s'embellant would make sense too
    Thanks for the video. You're right. Piaf sings really "en s'baladant".
    I was mistaken by the partly incorrect lyrics posted here.

9. jumbuck said:

Hey guys, sorry this is going back a while, but I'd like to make one further suggestion for the translation of "en s'baladant sur le trottoir". Could it be translated as "strolling up and down the footpath"?