1 sentence

Thread: 1 sentence

Tags: None

cameronparkhurst said:

Default 1 sentence

can someone please tell me what this means?

ben mim'e aşık bir nûn'um!

2. Lux_Aeterna said:

Quote Originally Posted by cameronparkhurst View Post
    can someone please tell me what this means?

ben mim'e aşık bir nûn'um!
    Sorry this sentence isn't turkish.

Just joking.

This sentence belong to old ottoman language. And i guess we can translate it as " I am a sword who in love with Sheath."
    νι∂єσ мєℓισяα ρяσвσqυє ∂єтєяισяα ѕєqυσя...

cameronparkhurst said:

okay ummm what is the meaning of that? to be a sword inlove with a sheath? and thank you for translating it
    a sword and a sheath go together--the sword fits into the sheath...I am missing the meaning...PLEASE help

4. Lux_Aeterna said:

Hmm well i try to explain different. Imagine a sword and that sword adore deeply its own sheath. And do not wanna seperate from it.

cameronparkhurst said:

thank you

6. ilkin said:

mim (م) is for m, the 24th letter of the arabic alphabeth, and nun (ن) is for n, the 25th. in classical turkish poetry, mim refers to muhammad the prophet, since his most famous four names include it, viz, muhammad, mustafa, ahmad and mahmud. of these four, the three (muhammed, ahmed and mahmud) are of the same root, HMD (حمد). mustafa, meaning chosen or purified, is almost always used as an attribute to muhammad, as muhammad mustafa.

according to the context, nun must be the first letter of the name of who utters the sentence.

so the meaning is i'm an n who is in love with m. or just, i love muhammad the prophet.

---
    lux æterna: yes, an ottoman-turkish dictionary lists sword as one of the meanings of nun, which i didn't know and never seen it being used in this sense, but mim has nothing to do with a sheath according to the ottoman or arabic dictionaries i have; so the meaning is most likely as above.

7. Lux_Aeterna said:

Quote Originally Posted by ilkin View Post
    mim (م) is for m, the 24th letter of the arabic alphabeth, and nun (ن) is for n, the 25th. in classical turkish poetry, mim refers to muhammad the prophet, since his most famous four names include it, viz, muhammad, mustafa, ahmad and mahmud. of these four, the three (muhammed, ahmed and mahmud) are of the same root, HMD (حمد). mustafa, meaning chosen or purified, is almost always used as an attribute to muhammad, as muhammad mustafa.

according to the context, nun must be the first letter of the name of who utters the sentence.

so the meaning is i'm an n who is in love with m. or just, i love muhammad the prophet.

---
    lux æterna: yes, an ottoman-turkish dictionary lists sword as one of the meanings of nun, which i didn't know and never seen it being used in this sense, but mim has nothing to do with a sheath according to the ottoman or arabic dictionaries i have; so the meaning is most likely as above.

You might be right, i can't to attempt a discussion about ottoman language. But if i remember correct , this sentence were passin' by in Leyla & Mecnun of Fuzuli. And i had known that way. Of course Fuzuli might mentioned a secret God/ Prophet love. I am not sure for it.

cameronparkhurst said:

my BF tried to explain it the way you have ilkin but I did not understand and i am still a little confused---I thank you so much for trying to help me (both of you) ....does it basically mean I love muhammad the prophet?

9. ilkin said:

Quote Originally Posted by cameronparkhurst View Post
    does it basically mean I love muhammad the prophet?
    yes, that's what it means.

Volcano1985 said:

İlkin

Where have u been dostum ?
    Hasta Siempre Comandante...(Left the forum 28-04-2008)

11. ilkin said:

iş güç. yetişmesi gereken bir iş vardı, epey zamanımı aldı. daha da alacak.

sorduğun için teşekkür ederim.