Hafez - Ghazal 316

Thread: Hafez - Ghazal 316

Tags: None
  1. Lillac said:

Unhappy Hafez - Ghazal 316

New member here. A western guy insists to know the meaning of this verse but the point with mystic eastern poem is they are not easily translatable or at least thats not my job! I'm afraid I make it shallow and reduce it's literal/symbolic values!So I need your help to translate this Persian poem by Hafez of Shiraz.

Zolf bar bad madeh ta nadahi bar badam
    Naz bonyad makon ta nakani bonyadam

Mey makhor ba hame kas ta nakhoram khoone jegar
    Sar makesh ta nakeshad sar be falak faryadam

Zolf ra halghe makon ta nakoni dar bandam
    Torreh ra tab madeh ta nadahi bar badam

Yare biganeh masho ta nabari az khisham
    Ghame aghyar makhor ta nakoni nashadam

Rokh bar afrouz ke faregh koni az barge golam
    Ghad bar afraz ke az sarv koni azadam

Sham'e har jam' masho var na besoozi mara
    Yade har ghom makon ta naravi az yadam

Shohreye shahr masho ta nanaham sar dar kouh
    Shoore Shirin manama, ta nakoni Farhadam

Rahm kon bar mane meskino be faryadam ras
    Ta be khake dare asef naresad faryadam

Hafez az jo're to hasha ke begardanad rouy
    Man az anrouz ke dar bande to'am azadam
    Last edited by afsaneh; 09-03-2012 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Artist – Song name or names

dazedNpuzzl3D said:

can i ask if it' a lovers poem i mean what's it's topic because my boyfriend is persian and well you see it'd be nice if i can recite him a deep persian poem in his language
    live,love and learn
  3. Lillac said:

Thanks dazedNpuzzl3D for the post. Yes all types of "Ghazals" are love poems but I'm not sure if this poem suits to be dedicated to a male....It's all about very long and beautiful amazing hair of beloved person (probably female). Plus... It's not only a love poem... It's also talking about a higher concept. That's why I can't translate it ! But all the best for you and your Boy friend!

dazedNpuzzl3D said:

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Lillac View Post
    Thanks dazedNpuzzl3D for the post. Yes all types of "Ghazals" are love poems but I'm not sure if this poem suits to be dedicated to a male....It's all about very long and beautiful amazing hair of beloved person (probably female). Plus... It's not only a love poem... It's also talking about a higher concept. That's why I can't translate it ! But all the best for you and your Boy friend!
    thank you! i truly love him to death but if you can >.o would it be too much to recommend a certain "ghazal" i can recite for him :P if not i'd understand
    live,love and learn
  5. Lillac said:

DazedNpuzzl3D, This Ghazal by Hafez with an almost more simple concept is mainly about the wonderful appearance of a tall and handsome person haha. Thought it would be fun and might be suitable for you. Good luck!

Hosn-e* to hamisheh dar fozoun baad**.
    Rouyat hameh saaleh lalegoun baad.

Andar sar-e maa khiaal-e eshghat,
    Har rouz kebaad, dar fozoun baad.

Har sarv kedar chaman dar aayad,
    Dar khedmat-e ghaamatat negoun baad.

Chashmi kena fetney-e to baashad,
    Chon ghohar-e ashk, ghargh-e khoun baad.

Chashm-e to zebahr-e delrobaayi,
    Dar kardan-e sehr, zou fonoun baad.

Har jaa kedelist dar gham-e to,
    Bi sabro gharaaro bi sokoun baad.

Ghadd-e hameh delbaraan-e aalam,
    Pish-e Alef-e ghadat cho Noun baad.

Har del kezeh eshgh-e towst khali,
    Az halghey-e vasl-e to boroun baad.

La'l-e to kehast jaan-e Hafez,
    Dour az lab-e mardomaan-e doun baad.

* = Pronounce all the " -e " like the letter "e" in the English word, "bEd".
    ** = Pronounce all the "aa" like the letter "u" in English word, "dUst".

dazedNpuzzl3D said:

Talking :)

thank you lillac umm may i ask what part of iran you are located at? because my boyfriend is from shiraz and well i heard it's beautiful ^_^ i'll tell you his reaction thank you again!!!
    live,love and learn
  7. Lillac said:

youre welcome daze... I thought you live with him! So where are you come from? I'm in Tehran province. Far from Shiraz. But all Iranians love and respect Shiraz. That is the ancient place of Persian empire, Literature, Persian gardens and "Hafez" the poet!!! Your bf will love the poem above!