Miscellaneous (not lyrics) SR/CR/BH <-> EN Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) SR/CR/BH <-> EN Translations

Tags: None
  1. morphi said:

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post

2. baba = in this context grandma but yes.. it can mean dad as well (though such use is obsolete)
    baba is grandma, and baba is never dad, only babo is used sometimes from bosnians (in this case most from moslems) insted of Otac, Tata, Stari, Cale etc....

Spring said:

well sorry morphi.. you are wrong. Some people (mostly in Serbian villages) do say "baba" for dad (but with a different accent than "baba" which means grandma)

3. morphi said:

hmm i`m from serbia and i`ve never heared that someone has called his dad baba and yes i`ve been trough many villages in serbia and the most common word for dad is cale (stari or tata) maybe this "baba" is from a region in serbia i`ve never been or they used it 100 years ago...

Spring said:

Your loss if you've never been in a Vojvodina village!

5. morphi said:

i`ve been there, and i didn`t heared it, but it doesn`t matter :P

pthalo said:

kako se na srpskom kaže "she loves me so thoroughly well"?

"ona me dobro voli u potpunosti"? (that sounds kinda dumb, though)
    I'm stronger than the tricks played on your heart. We look at them together then we take 'em apart. Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two.

Spring said:

Ina, Spring does not say baba but her neighbor whose parents are from a village does lol

Pthalo, there are some things that simply can not be translated without losing their "feeling". In this case, a similar line could be "ona me stvarno istinski voli" or something like that

pthalo said:

Yeah, you're right. Some things are just really hard to translate. I like your suggestion.

(Oh that reminds me, is there a feeling-difference between stvarno and zaista? do the words feel different?)
    I'm stronger than the tricks played on your heart. We look at them together then we take 'em apart. Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two.

Spring said:

hm... they both mean "really"
    but you can "feel" them differently only by the fact that the word "stvarno" comes from "stvarnost" = reality and "zaista" - "istina" = truth
    So, maybe that way you can decide when to use each of them, depending on whether you want to say that something is truthful or realistic

10. ina said:

Eeee, sad kao komšije ....

Pthalo, ovako bi moje komšije s kojima delimo terasu rekli: Znači brate voli me ono pootpunooo!

Spring said:

lol

No really.. I don't call mine in any way

That "ono" sounds so "nice" lol So much about romance! hehe

Zvezda said:

Hello, can someone please tell me what this means
    'zahvalnost za Vaše želje' is it thanks for your wishes?
    Bio je Novembar 2009 godine, zamišljao sam kako hodaš ulicom Bana Jelačića cipelama od zmijske kože..

Spring said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zvezda View Post
    Hello, can someone please tell me what this means
    'zahvalnost za Vaše želje' is it thanks for your wishes?
    Yep
    Literally: "gratitude for your wishes"

Zahal said:

Zdravo,
    Ne razumem ovu reć!

"Tada sam imala 17 godina i očekivala sam da dobijem neki srceparajući tekst.

Hvala!

Spring said:

rec is with č (reč)

and the word srceparajući means heartbreaking or, in this context, we can also say - mushy

Zvezda said:

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    Yep
    Literally: "gratitude for your wishes"
    Hvala puno!
    Bio je Novembar 2009 godine, zamišljao sam kako hodaš ulicom Bana Jelačića cipelama od zmijske kože..

Zahal said:

Quote Originally Posted by morphi View Post
    baba is grandma, and baba is never dad, only babo is used sometimes from bosnians (in this case most from moslems) insted of Otac, Tata, Stari, Cale etc....
    Yeah, that confused me in the beginning when I lived with a Bosnian family – the use of "baba/babo" when the kids talked to their dad!

18. ina said:

I heard "ćaća" = daddy

Zvezda said:

Could someone please tell me how to say (female speaker) 'I am trying to learn your language?'

20. ina said:

I am trying to learn your language
    1. Trudim se da naučim vaš jezik or
    2. Pokušavam da naučim vaš jezik.

There are few more variants, but the first one is the best. Keep trying!