Miscellaneous (not lyrics) SR/CR/BH <-> EN Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) SR/CR/BH <-> EN Translations

Tags: None
  1. dok77 said:

Kiseljak is a small town in Bosnia.It don't need to be translated.Balija is insulting nickname for muslims.
    I don't think anyone in this forum should translate such sentences.

2. ina said:

Ooooooh! I am sorry, I haven't known those words. And I'll never ever translate curses!
    Last edited by ina; 01-21-2009 at 09:57 AM.

y! said:

"Gina is thinking about you" = "Gina misli o tebi"?
    "Gina wants to see you" = "Gina želi te vidjeti"

it is correct...but I think it would be better to translate it like ..

"Gina is thinking about you" = "Gina misli na tebe"?
    "Gina wants to see you" = "Gina želi da te vidi" or "Gina te želi vidjeti"

4. chicacherry said:

Quote Originally Posted by ina View Post
    Ponekad jos (po)želim da (po)trčim i zagrlim te...ali bih shvatio (shvatila for female) da su moje noge uvek vezane za tlo (zemlju).

Maybe this would sound even better:
    Još ponekad poželim da dotrčim do tebe (or as you said da ti dotrčim, sounds nice, you've done it great!) i zagrlim te....ali bih uvidela da bi mi noge ostale vezane (za zemlju).

Keep it up, you're doing it good!
    May I know, what is the "po" addition for?

and in 2nd example you wrote dotrcim instead of potrcim, what is the difference?

(just for my knowledge.. thanks!)

5. ina said:

First, don't laugh! I'll try to explain, but it will sound odd. I am not an expert for languages, maybe I am wrong, I'll try to use logic.
    But you shouldn't trouble yourself with these prefixes, they are learning by heart while speaking or reading, without some brainworks in it.

Želim is generally to wish, poželim when you wish something particularly, at one moment or something specific. Poželim means your wish now has arisen and you wish something at a moment, but it is something as a temporary wish, maybe.

That prefix "po" could refer to the starting point of an action or to put something in action.
    Trčati - to run, potrčati - to start runing, break into run
    dotrčati - "to finish running", to run and come to sb/sth

gledati - to look, pogledati - to take a look.
    tući se - to fight (between each other) potući se - to start fighting (between each other)
    tući - to beat, potući or dotući - to rout, to defeat completely, to win out

But smatrati and posmatrati are two different verbs, this "po" is not a prefix, their meanings are very different (smatrati - to hold an opinion about something, to believe, posmatrati - to observe, to watch).

6. chicacherry said:

Ohh that makes sense. I mean, I have come to know this jezik is making everything to sound as precise as possible. It's not easy to catch up but nevertheless interesting.

And oh, how about the "za" addition(?) like zagrliti.. which the my dictionary grliti also means the same thing.

By the way. Ja sam iz Maleziju. Drago mi je da sam vas upoznala!
    Last edited by chicacherry; 01-21-2009 at 10:02 AM.

7. ina said:

Iz Malezije.
    I nama je drago što smo te upoznali

pthalo said:

it's the same with zagrliti /grliti. zagrliti is perfective, and grliti is continuous. zagrliti is to hug someone and grliti is to be hugging someone.
    I'm stronger than the tricks played on your heart. We look at them together then we take 'em apart. Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two.

9. chicacherry said:

Ahaha. You're right.
    Ja sam iz Malezije.
    Ja sam u Maleziju.

@pthalo: is it the same case for poljubiti and ljubiti too? lol this can go on and on..

pthalo said:

probably "Ja sam u Maleziji" because it's feminine, locative. But "Idem u Maleziju" because that's accusative.

I think so, but I'm actually not sure for that one. But almost every verb has two forms, one that means that something happens regularly, or that something is still happening, it's the process of it happening (like the continuous tense in English) and the other means something that's finished or something that only happens once (like perfect tense in English).

Sometimes the pairs will have a prefix: "raditi" (to be doing something) and "uraditi" (to do something)

Sometimes the pairs will have a vowel that changes: oprostiti (to forgive something) opraštati (to be forgiving something, to forgive something again and again and again). You have to learn the pairs and remember which is which, but you get used to it. It's good to learn the pairs at the same time and practice writing sentences. "Oprostiću te još jednom" (I'll forgive you one more time) "Neću više da te opraštam" (I won't be forgiving you anymore)

But I have a vague feeling that poljubiti means to kiss someone like on the cheek, or a quick kiss whereas ljubiti is where you're kissing like two people dating, with tongue and stuff. So I think that one's different from this.
    I'm stronger than the tricks played on your heart. We look at them together then we take 'em apart. Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two.

11. ina said:

Dear Pthalo, I am learning Serbian from you! Yea, you are right. 10 years have passed since my last grammar class at school Probably the grammar is different now.

Ja sam u Malieziji. (where? static, locative). I am in Malaysia
    Idem u Maleziju. (where? dynamic, direction, accusative). I go to Malaysia.

Well, Pthalo, you are right for kissing too Poljubiti probably refers to one kiss, but it could be a French kiss "with tongue and stuff", you never know

12. pr1nc355 said:

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by dok77 View Post
    Kiseljak is a small town in Bosnia.It don't need to be translated.Balija is insulting nickname for muslims.
    I don't think anyone in this forum should translate such sentences.

oh i´m terribly sorry that guy on youtube who wrote this is actually someone i know and i wanted to spy on him (i know i shouldn´t do that.....). i´m really shocked about him insulting muslims i would´ve never expect that.
    i´m sorry

pthalo said:

that's understandable then, you couldn't have known what he was saying. If I were you, I would have a Talk with him about this.

14. ANDJEO said:

Default Help again!

Kako ste? Hvala Ina!

I need help what does the following sentence mean?

" Marko sta da radis,mozda i mora tako??? "

Pozdrav !!

15. dok77 said:

Quote Originally Posted by ANDJEO View Post
    Kako ste? Hvala Ina!

I need help what does the following sentence mean?

" Marko sta da radis,mozda i mora tako??? "

Pozdrav !!
    "Marko,what can you do? Maybe it supposed to be that way."

16. ANDJEO said:

Thank you very much for your fast answer!

17. Melli25 said:

please translat this in serbian
    Please dont understand me wrong
    terminally ill oma
    this is not your bag
    Who is the bag (is this right i mean "to which person belongs this bag)
    this is my bag
    that isn´t your bag, lies not in me, I know that it is your
    why you are trembling
    everything is in order, do not cry
    '´m is cold
    but let the small
    where is the bag
    you have the bag
    What about the bag

18. sanushh said:

Hii , Can someone give me the meaning of " Drugara" ?
    thank you

lorelai_g87 said:

can someone please translate this in Serbian?

1. Lena is suffering terribly/Lena is heartbroken
    2. One day I hope you'll get what you deserve and feel the pain Im feeling now
    3. Your silence and complete indifference explains everything
    4. You don't know what love means
    Last edited by lorelai_g87; 01-27-2009 at 04:58 AM.
    ...life after death...

20. ina said:

Please dont understand me wrong.
    Molim te ne shvati me pogrešno. or
    Molim te nemoj da me shvatiš pogrešno.

terminally ill oma
    krajnje ozbiljno bolesna baka (nana) - if Oma means in German Grandma

this is not your bag
    Ovo nije tvoja (vaša for pl.) torba.

Who is the bag (is this right i mean "to which person belongs this bag)
    "who is your bag" is "ko je ova torba"
    to whom the bag belongs - Kome pripada ova torba?
    or simple - Čija je ovo torba?

this is my bag - To (ovo) je moja torba.
    that isn´t your bag, - To nije tvoja torba
    lies not in me ' donćt lie me - ne laži me
    I know that it is your - that it is yours - Znam da je ona tvoja
    why you are trembling - Zašto strahuješ (strahujete)
    everything is in order, do not cry - sve je u redu, ne plači (plačite)

'´m is cold - ????? Maybe you mean I'm cold - Hladno mi je. or (something) is cold - (nešto) je hladno.

but let the small - ali pusti to malo (????)
    where is the bag - gde je torba
    you have the bag - imaš torbu
    What about the bag - šta sa torbom