Miscellaneous (not lyrics) SR/CR/BH <-> EN Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) SR/CR/BH <-> EN Translations

Tags: None
  1. ina said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahal View Post
    Šta znači ovu reč?

Živnuvši od bola.
    živnuti - to liven, liven up, liven sb/sth up. Also, in Serbian - start to move from stationary position, showing (a movement as) a sign of life.

Sasskia said:

Hello,

Nek mu bude laka zemlja or Nek ti bude laka zemlja

Does it means : "Rest in peace" or something else?

Thank you

BleakHeart said:

Good evening everyone,

I have come across this peculiar article on a serbian newspaper, could someone pleas make a basic translation in English? It is not short, I know, but please... someone help...

http://www.pressonline.rs/page/stori...3&sectionId=33

Thank you so much in advcance,

Alexander
    "I have fear for nothing and I have hope for nothing, I am, therefore, free."

Nikos Kazantzakis

pthalo said:

lol. basic translation, i'm not translating every word, but the main point:

In the village of Gornje Stopanje, a vampire has appeared. People haven't been able to sleep for seven nights because of fear of the spirit which, they say, has appeared on one street in this place near the river Jablanica. Unexplained banging of gates, windows, doors, containers, breaking of glass and stuff is making people of Gornje Stopanja to go lock themselves up in their houses at the beginning of twilight and not leave home until morning.

[picture of the street where inhabitants say the vampire most often appears]

The frightened people say that this happens at night, that's when the vampire walks throughout the village. Because of him, they say, the animals are all upset and the dogs don't stop barking until dawn.

A man in black clothing

"I saw how some sort of shadow goes like a man and rattles my gate but couldn't open it. [something something i don't understand...] everything happened. - explained Ljiljana Stefanović.

[picture of her]

Younger and braver guys in the village have organised the stay out at night like watchmen, hiding in yards. They've tried to take photographs of him, and they say they've managed to photograph his shadow.

"The first shadow showed up in the middle of the street, with only a circle like a head, three metres in the air and jumping onto [something]. Afterwards he flew onto the neighbour's [something] and stayed there for five minutes, but it seemed to us that it lasted for eternity. My relative from Slovenia took his picture. Here you can see this shadow how in every picture it's on a different place, well that's the spirit or the vampire, that's how we call him - said two guys from Gornje Stopanje

Older citizens who heard their parents and grandparents speak to them about vampires seven or eight decades ago are not surprised by this happening.

"I don't hear well, but I can see, how through the smoke, a man in black clothings is walking. He looks left, looks right, then jumps up." explains one grandmother.

In Gornje Stopanje, where the inhabitans have the problem with spirits, 40 days ago two old people died. Even though they were burried properly, their relatives doubt that everything is settled as it should be.

"The noise started in the room on the second floor, which we were preparing for winter. You can't see anyone, but bricks fly and it makes a mess in the yard. There's glass everywhere. After some time all that glass is gathered up and put by the stairs. I take my weapon and fire. As if someone, you cna't see who it is, picks up the trash can and throws it onto the road. It's terrifying, we don't know what to do, let someone help us if they can, because we haven't slept for seven days" says the relative of the octogenarian grandfather who recently died.

The inhabitans of the village have called in two local priests to help as much as they can.

The culturologist and professor of the fakultet of philology, Sreten Petrović tells Press that even though it sounds unbelievable, many people in Serbia still belive in vampires.

"These occurances often happen in eastern Serbia" explains Petrović "for example legal proceedings in Niš where the person to blame for the disturbances was considered to be a vampire."

"Our priest and another priest came and they said the prayers that should be said. Afterwards the vampires calmed down a bit, but they're still there at night. Now they're mo in the streets, but sometimes they get angry and are hitting the gates and containers" says the inhabitans of Gornje Stopanje.

In order to protect themselves from the spirit or the vampire, the inhabitans have begun to use a special grass. Woven bits of grass which banish evil are being worn by the old and young alike around their belts. These people believe that this grass will banish the evil spirit if it wants to inhabit someone's body.
    I'm stronger than the tricks played on your heart. We look at them together then we take 'em apart. Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two.

Spring said:

Gosh, if it wasn't sad, it would be funny! Vampires? I assume that places nearer to Romanian border have dracula? lol

MayGoLoco said:

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    Gosh, if it wasn't sad, it would be funny! Vampires? I assume that places nearer to Romanian border have dracula? lol

Have you seen the documentary about Šutka (Macedonia), they even have a vampire slayer there.
    fast forward to 4:28

7. ina said:

Quote Originally Posted by Sasskia View Post
    Hello,

Nek mu bude laka zemlja or Nek ti bude laka zemlja

Does it means : "Rest in peace" or something else?

Thank you
    Yes, it means something like - rest in peace (počivaj u miru). Literally: let the earth (over him/her/you) be light!

pthalo said:

Quote Originally Posted by MayGoLoco View Post

Have you seen the documentary about Šutka (Macedonia), they even have a vampire slayer there.
    fast forward to 4:28

jadan konj ne treba ga tuči

edit: "a žensko sa ženskom naravno nema ništa" omg.
    I'm stronger than the tricks played on your heart. We look at them together then we take 'em apart. Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two.

MayGoLoco said:

I also don't like that part with the horse, there is even a part where they show goose fighting in the movie from what I remember

btw tući is spelled with ć

Spring said:

Koliko tek ostali vole konje kad je ovaj "najveci ljubitelj?!
    Pitam se da li je teoriju o ciscenju vodom izmislio neko ko je hteo da stane na kraj "kupanju svakog bozica"
    A, sve u svemu, mislim da je sve to poprilicno STRASNO! ali, ocito, ne zbog vampira nego.. za neverovati da u danasnje vreme (u civilizaciji) jos uvek ima takvih nivoa "obrazovanosti"!!!

pthalo said:

pa eto. svaki čovek je kao rudnik bogat dragim kamenima neprocenljive vrednosti. samo obrazovanje može da otkrije ove drage kamne, da bi ih čovek mogao koristiti. bez obrazovanja, dragi kameni ostaje u tamni, kao što vidimo na snimku. zaista strašno.

Sasskia said:

Quote Originally Posted by ina View Post
    Yes, it means something like - rest in peace (počivaj u miru). Literally: let the earth (over him/her/you) be light!

Thank you Ina

Zahal said:

Ćao, evo nove reči

1. On se ponovo okrete ka moru i predade svojoj zanimaciji.
    2. Ona ležala sklupčana.
    3. Kada se rasanila, sunce je već bilo visoko na nebu.

zanimacija = occupation, work (?!?!)

Hvala!

14. ina said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahal View Post
    Ćao, evo nove reči

1. On se ponovo okrete ka moru i predade svojoj zanimaciji.
    2. Ona ležala sklupčana.
    3. Kada se rasanila, sunce je već bilo visoko na nebu.

zanimacija = occupation, work (?!?!)

Hvala!
    (se) predade ---> predati (se) here it means prepustiti se: to be occupied (in doing sth) with sth/sb, to take up

zanimacija = amusement, interest (hobby), work (hobby), occupation (but instant occupation, not profession), game, pleasure

prepustiti se zanimaciji - to let your hobby to occupy you / to take you up

sklupčana --- >sklupčati se = to squat down - to sit on your heels with your knees bent up close to your body, a squatting position of the body

se rasanila --- >rasaniti se = when you wake up, you are still sleepy, but you start slowly to recover from sleep/dream, so to say, you become fully aware of the moment ... something like that, or simply - wake up from dreaming.
    Last edited by ina; 09-22-2009 at 06:12 AM.

Spring said:

Ima li neko pojma kako prevesti "šarena laža"?

MayGoLoco said:

Quote Originally Posted by Spring View Post
    Ima li neko pojma kako prevesti "šarena laža"?
    Urban legend?

Spring said:

hm... not bad but I need to say that the entire world is .. that one big picturesque lie

MayGoLoco said:

A myth maybe? I dunno...

Spring said:

how about - "vivid illusion"?

MayGoLoco said:

I like it