Solved: Please help me identifiing Disco 81 songs

Thread: Solved: Please help me identifiing Disco 81 songs

Tags: None
  1. Gubbubu said:

Default Solved: Please help me identifiing Disco 81 songs

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away I hade a tape casette titled "Disco 81'" (or something like this). The end song of it started with an electronic guitar riff, and its refraint was a simple choir practice containing just "aw-aw-aw-aw, aw-aw-aw-aw, aw" (or "oh-oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh-oh, oh!").

As I remember (maybe I'm wrong) in the first two rows of the lyrics I could hear "I like she goes" or something what sounds similar (I didn't speak English in that times).

Please, can anyone identify this song (or a verse of this - as you know I heard this song from different artists in the early 80s) and get me remember the track list of this album?

Thx. G.
    Last edited by Gubbubu; 05-06-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Problem solved

atmaestro said:

My wild guess is "Le Freak " by Chic (1978)
    Them that can, do; them that can't... memorize Artist and Title

Mumbles said:

My really wild guess is..

Crown Heights Affair - You Gave Me Love
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=wkQl-h9sHTE
    Its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice
    Y Ddraig Goch ddyry gychwyn

4. Gubbubu said:

Sorry, but no.

I know the task is hard, cause I gave little help, but I don't remember to too many exact things.

But this song i search was not similar in its moood to those above. It was a disco track, but not a simple dance-funky-soul song. It was more "hymnic" in its charm, quick, but a bit ceremonial (not surely considering lyrics). By the way, it sounded like a light-light rock song (Final Countdown from Europe is the best example here I think) rather than any dance/disco composition.
    Last edited by Gubbubu; 05-05-2008 at 12:58 PM.

5. fantasy coach said:

Default Maybe?

Sounds like you may be looking for "the break up song" greg kihn band, also.

Just posted it for another request on here.

here is a live version to check

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pMDJKB01jw

6. Gubbubu said:

Hmmm ... a congenial finding you had, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for :-).

But this song maybe will help us to identify what my phantom track is not. It is not as punk-like as the above greg kihn's. It's more ceremonial, yes ceremonial, with choirs (not choir effects on synth, but a real choir).

And a new thing came to my mind. In my phantom track the drums at the row ends were sometimes (but nit in the refraint) ... eh, how to describe it ... big and echoing drums:

singer: "la- la - la -la" (sings a text)

drums: BANNG-BANNG! (beat two times and echoing a bit)

Singer: "la-la-la-la"

drums again: BANNG-BANNG!

I don't know what kind of drumms were they, but their sound was similar (but not the same!) to the far easterns big "gongs" (you know these are metallic-like big plates beaten with a big "mace-like" stick)

Tahira said:

I don´t have an idea about the song, but I give you some names of bands, maybe someone else has the right guess:

that time were popular: Barcly James Harvest, Toto, Foreigner, Def Leppard...

MAybe this helps you any further

Tahira

8. Musicismyfirstlove said:

Yes , as well my upstairs neigbour I too was thinking of Foreigner ,but the 'ceremonial ' led me to the Alan Parsons project..

What puzzles me most about this question is the "cover history " ...do you remember if the artists who covered this song were male /female , and also wich year?

9. Gubbubu said:

Thanks for tips! I like puzzles, and I see others like too ...

Answers:

1). I hardly think the band could be Toto or Def Leppard. I will see after Barcley J. H., Foreigner and Alan Parsons, cause don1t know them.

2). I think the singer was male. But I can't give you exact time data, cause I haven't got the album yet, as my brother re-recorded it later. And in the early 80s when I listened this album to shatters, I was so smooth (wz born in 1979 :-). What's more, I hardly remember to other tracks on this casette (what could be a great help).

10. Gubbubu said:

something else about lyrics: in the first verse of the songs the expression "break my heart" or "broke my heart" was there. and just before the refraint the singer, who sang on a quite deep voice, started to scream something what sounded similar to the belowed expressions:

: "and her real"
    : "Amaryll "
    : "a marine"

or so - :-).

The last syllab is quite long sung: "and her Reeeeeeeal" etc.

11. Musicismyfirstlove said:

Okaaaay , now I'm gonna try something different

How's about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtdDr...eature=related

or the original:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gbJR_e8exs
    Last edited by Musicismyfirstlove; 05-06-2008 at 12:09 PM.

Tahira said:

Some more suggestions: Supertramp or David Bowie?

Pink Floyd or Queen, but I think everybody recognizes their music as they have their typical style.

... I have no Idea, but I hope anybody finds out, as I am very curious now.

MAybe Gububu, you could tell us, where are you from; as I guess the Charts in 1982 where different from USA, GB or within Europe. MAybe this gives us another chance.

Tahira

13. Gubbubu said:

Wow! That's it. Thanks to everyone for completing this puzzle; it was a so interesting game for me. The song surely been identificated. I'm not sure the performer was Barry Rian, but maybe he was older singing on my casette, as you remember, the introduction in my version was played on electronic guitar, while the original performers used synth/violins/.

(If somebody could find what bands were remaked the song to rock version, naturally I will pe pleased - most probably, the Damned) .

But that is not important. I just wanted some exact data to start my investigation: was my casette "Disco 81" an official compilation or just a home-made collection, and to reconstruate the track list.

To Tahira: I'm from Hungary. But if my casette was not a home-made collection of recordings, then it was probably a western (UK or US, not Central-European) hit album.
    Last edited by Gubbubu; 05-06-2008 at 04:17 PM.

14. Musicismyfirstlove said:

Hehehe...excellent!!
    This was a nice puzzle I must say..

If you want to know who covered this song ..look here
    http://secondhandsongs.com/cgi/clust...earchtype=song

Bye

15. Gubbubu said:

Thanks this link very much. With your aid I'vew managed to find the swiss chart disco-hit compilation what gave the base for my old casette:

http://swisscharts.com/showitem.asp?...sco%2081&cat=a

Surely that's it, cause now I can remember the tracks "Felicidad" (Boney M) and "Oh No" (Bernie Paul) was realyy on it.

That means the Eloise remake I've heard years before was belike made by The Teeens.

Ohz yes, following this link you can hear a sample:

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Teens
    Last edited by Gubbubu; 05-07-2008 at 10:37 AM.

16. Musicismyfirstlove said:

Quote Originally Posted by Gubbubu View Post
    Thanks this link very much. With your aid I'vew managed to find the swiss chart disco-hit compilation what gave the base for my old casette:

http://swisscharts.com/showitem.asp?...sco%2081&cat=a

Surely that's it, cause now I can remember the tracks "Felicidad" (Boney M) and "Oh No" (Bernie Paul) was realyy on it.

That means the Eloise remake I've heard years before was belike made by The Teeens.
    Very welcome!!

Tahira said:

OH my good, I feel so old, when I think of all those songs, and it seems like yesterday!

By the way AGADOU is now recovered by a teeny band, you can hear/see it in a german tv channel for kids.

Tahira