Alkinoos ionnidis translation!!!

Thread: Alkinoos ionnidis translation!!!

Tags: None
  1. Laysi said:

Default Alkinoos ionnidis translation!!!

Can someone translate this to english for me?

Thanks! ^^

Ακούστε την ιστορία του Κεμάλ
    ενός νεαρού πρίγκηπα,της ανατολής
    απόγονου του Σεβάχ του θαλασσινού,
    που νόμισε ότι μπορέι να αλλάξει τον κόσμο.
    αλλά πικρές οι βουλές του Αλλάχ
    και σκοτεινές οι ψυχές των ανθρώπων.

Στης Ανατολής τα μέρη μια φορά και ένα καιρό
    ήταν άδειο το κεμέρι, μουχλιασμένο το νερό
    στη Μοσσούλη, τη Βασσόρα, στην παλιά τη χουρμαδιά
    πικραμένα κλαίνε τώρα της ερήμου τα παιδιά.

Κι ενας νέος από σόι και γενιά βασιλική
    αγροικάει το μοιρολόι και τραβάει κατά εκεί.
    τον κοιτάν οι Βεδουίνοι με ματιά λυπητερή
    κι όρκο στον Αλλάχ τους δίνει, πως θ' αλλάξουν οι καιροί.

Σαν ακούσαν οι αρχόντοι του παιδιού την αφοβιά
    ξεκινάν με λύκου δόντι και με λιονταριού προβιά
    απ' τον Τίγρη στον Ευφράτη, απ' τη γη στον ουρανό
    κυνηγάν τον αποστάτη να τον πιάσουν ζωντανό.

Πέφτουν πάνω του τα στίφη, σαν ακράτητα σκυλιά
    και τον πάνε στο χαλίφη να του βάλει την θηλειά
    μαύρο μέλι μαύρο γάλα ήπιε εκείνο το πρωί
    πριν αφήσει στην κρεμάλα τη στερνή του την πνοή.

Με δύο γέρικες καμήλες μ' ένα κόκκινο φαρί
    στου παράδεισου τις πύλες ο προφήτης καρτερεί.
    πάνε τώρα χέρι χέρι κι είναι γύρω συννεφιά
    μα της Δαμασκού τ' αστέρι τους κρατούσε συντροφιά.

Σ' ένα μήνα σ' ένα χρόνο βλέπουν μπρός τους τον Αλλάχ
    που από τον ψηλό του θρόνο λέει στον άμυαλο Σεβάχ:
    «νικημένο μου ξεφτέρι δεν αλλάζουν οι καιροί,
    με φωτιά και με μαχαίρι πάντα ο κόσμος προχωρεί»

Καληνύχτα Κεμάλ, αυτός ο κόσμος δε θα αλλάξει ποτέ
    Καληνύχτα...

y! said:

this is what I've found

Hark to the story of Kemal
    a young prince of the East
    descendant of Sinbad the Sailor
    who thought he could change the world.
    But bitter is the will of Allah
    and dark the souls of men.

In the lands of the East once upon a time
    the purse was empty and the water stale.
    In Mosul* and Bushehr* on the old coconut tree
    the children of the desert now cry bitter tears.

And a young man of an old and royal line
    hears the lament and grows near.
    the Bedouins** look at him sadly
    and he gives them an oath in Allah's name, that times will change.

When the lords heard of the lad's fearlessness
    they set out with wolf's teeth and lion's skin
    from Tigris*** to Euphrates***, from the earth to the heavens
    they hunt for the deserter, to capture him alive.

The horde descends upon him like rabid dogs
    and takes him to the Caliph to place the noose [on his neck]
    black honey and black milk he drank that morning
    before he breathed his last on the gallows.

The Prophet**** awaits before the Gates of Heaven
    with two elderly camels and a red horse.
    They now go hand in hand and it's cloudy
    but the star of Damascus kept them company.

In a month and a year they see Allah before them
    and from his high throne he says to the simple Sinbad:
    "my beaten smart-aleck, times do not change,
    the world always moves on by fire and blades"

Goodnight Kemal, this world will never change.
    Goodnight...

*Cities in Iraq and Iran respectively.
    **Desert tribe.
    ***Rivers in the region of Mesopotamia.
    ****Muhammad.

3. dya said:

Laysi, you can check the Alphabetical Listing of Translated songs sticky thread when you look for a translation.

Kemal was already translated in this forum

Here:
    Kemal

Amethystos said:

Bravo dya for your checking, it's something we should ALL do before opening a post.

Y!
    I have a question for you.
    Could you give me the storyline about "Oro"?
    The link is here

I simply can't figure this one from the translation.
    And what's up with "St. Vitus´ Day"?

The rehearsal of this one was very good and since Jeliko Joksimovic is involved i would like to know some more about it.
    My thanks in advance.....
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

sandra said:

The main celebration of St.Vitus Day, one of the Serbian most important religious and national holidays was held in Gracanica and at the adjacent site of Gazimestan where the historical Kosovo battle took place 617 years ago when a Christian Army lead by Serbian Prince Lazarus fought the invading Ottoman army of Sultan Murat.

Three times so far has Vidovdan been a fateful day for the Serbs. First in 1389, when Serb knights faced a Turkish host on the field of Kosovo. At the end of the day, it was a triumph: the Turkish host retreated, their sultan dead. It was a tragedy: the Serb army was destroyed, the prince who led it, dead. And it was betrayal: for many Serbs and fellow Christians fought as Turkish vassals, and Serb epics tell of treason that hobbled their knights at the decisive moment.

Five hundred-odd years hence, another Vidovdan changed the fate of Serbs again. By 1914, Serbia had long won its freedom from the Turks, and in fact had just liberated Kosovo two years prior. The preceding decade had been one of justice and prosperity, even under the shadow of the mighty Austrian Empire. Their brethren who lived within the Empire were not so fortunate, as Austrian oppression grew worse by the year. Then on Vidovdan 1914, a young revolutionary from Bosnia assassinated the Austrian heir and changed history – not only that of the Serbs, but of the world. Within a month of Gavrilo Princip's act, European empires fell upon each other in an orgy of mass destruction known then as the Great War, today simply World War One.

In its aftermath, Serbia disappeared into a joint state of South Slavs, later known as Yugoslavia, which lasted for some 70 years in two incarnations. Its creation was a triumph, for it freed the South Slavs of Imperial tyranny. It was also a tragedy, since the war left behind death and despair which will haunt the Balkans for decades. And it was betrayal, as some joined the new state just to stab it in the back, and others desired it only for the sake of personal power.
    Όλα είναι εδώ όπως ήταν παλιά
    αγκαλιές και φιλιά όλα είναι εδώ
    Όλα είναι εδώ κι είναι τόσα πολλά
    που μιλούν στην καρδιά όλα είναι εδώ

sandra said:

ORO is a Balkan folk dance.........

sandra said:

...........and I think that the Europe want to hear something different this year....not something what is almost the same like Lane Moje(Zeljko Joksimovic).......Anyway,I wish good luck every country!!!......kisses!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Laysi said:

Quote Originally Posted by sandra View Post
    ORO is a Balkan folk dance.........
    if u mean hora... it's a dance traditionally from greece + it's a greek word ^^
    Old geek dance from byzanse

sandra said:

Hora is a type of circle dance originating in the Balkans but now found in a number of countries, most of which use slightly different spellings. The name is cognate to the Greek χορός : 'dance' which is cognate with the ancient Greek art form of χορεία; see Chorea. The original meaning of the Greek word χορός may have been 'circle'.

The Greek χορός is cognate with Bulgarian 'horo', the Montenegrin and Macedonian 'oro', the Turkish form 'hora' and Romanian 'horǎ' (having its roots in Iron Age; this gave later the Yiddish and Modern Hebrew 'hōrāh'. Conceptually hora is related to kolo, the circle dance of the former Yugoslavia.

The traditional Bulgarian dance horo comes in many shapes. It is not necessary to be in a circle, a curving line of people is also acceptable. The steps used in a horo dance are extremely diverse and not just two or three steps forward and one step back. The horo may vary between three to seven or eight steps forward and one to five or six steps back depending on the specific type.

There are more than five types of horo that are usually danced at every wedding. They differ by the rhythm of the music and the steps taken. There are no two horo dances with similar steps. There are probably over one hundred types of horo dances in the Bulgarian folklore.

In the past, the horo dance had a social role in Bulgarian society. It was mainly for fun, as a contest of skills, or for the show, leading to the development of the variety of horo dances. There are hora for people with little skill that can be learned in five to ten minutes, but there are also very sophisticated dances that cannot be learned unless one is fluent in many of the simpler dances.

In southern parts of Serbia oro is a synonymous for word kolo that means "circle dance". It may also reffer to a dance-party

Hora (pl. hore) is a traditional Romanian folk dance that gathers everyone into a big closed circle. The dancers hold each other's hands and the circle spins, usually clockwise, as each participant follows a sequence of three steps forward and one step back. The dance is usually accompanied by musical instruments such as the cymbalum, accordion, violin, viola, double bass, saxophone, trumpet or even the panflute.

Hora is popular during wedding celebrations and festivals, and is an essential part of the social entertainment in rural areas. One of the most famous hore is the Hora Unirii (Hora of the Union), which became a Romanian patriotic song as a result of being the hymn when Wallachia and Moldavia united to form the Principality of Romania in 1859. During the 2006/2007 New Year's Eve celebration, when Romania and Bulgaria joined the European Union, people were dancing Hora Bucuriei (Hora of Joy) over the boulevards of Bucharest as a tribute to the EU anthem, Ode to Joy. Some of the biggest hora circles can be found on early 20th century movies filmed by the Manakia brothers in Pindus, Greece and performed by local Aromanians.

......................kisses..................

10. dya said:

Sandra, the explanations you provided are very accurate

As for the Romanian way of dancing hora, the circle is not always a circle, it takes different shapes according to what we have to avoid (tables, chairs, etc) LOL! Also, due to this sequenmce of three steps forward, one step back, the circle changes "size": the steps forward bring people closer, the step back enlarges the circle. That's usually when the circle starts to change shape, as the step back usually involves bumping into something that stays in the way!! LOL!

Hello, Amethistos! Everything all right?

Amethystos said:

Red face Feeling a little guilty cause .... I only asked for a storyline!

Well let's take the things one at a time.....

First of all I want to thank Sandra.
    It has been very difficult to learn all those historical facts and simultaneously to watch the puppy you have as avatar
    I really enjoyed this cause instead of only a simple storyline I learned something more.
    "Never-ever trust a puppy" (only joking Sandra)

Then I figured out that St Vitus day has a special meaning to Serbs but I got it all cleared by this msg I got by Y! telling me that:
    "So, Serbian people believe that the real truth can be seen on that day..and you can see what kind of person is someone."

My next comment is about the dance. Sandra you've done a wonderfull research in this one and according to my dictionary "ο χορός" has no accurate word-origin.
    But still it's a fact that, in this small piece of the planet, that called Balkans (which btw some others try to underestimate......), all we live, have many common characteristics.

Cyclic dance (opened or closed formation) in which all the dancers are physically contacted. And this slight detail is something that makes a big difference between us (the balkanians) and the whole world.
    There is also another point that's called entertainment.
    I recall only one greek-diaspora dance that was being strictly danced by people who prepared for war.
    It wouldn't surprise me if you say that there are some more in the Balkans, but there are exceptions to the rule.....
    So the main characteristic must be that: We dance for entertainment - in cycles - and MAINLY physically contacted one with another

BUT I have to disagree with you Sandra, when you say "Europe wants to hear something different".....
    My dear Sandra there are some people that interact directly with a wide public.
    In my opinion Zeljko Joksimovic is an artist and that's something that the future will prove if it's right or fault.
    But I'm sure that I would be proud to have a gifted greek that make a fully greek song (that I like) and visualize it the way Serbia has done with "Lane Moje" or "Oro".
    So please understand that: Europe wants to hear, everything good a country can give.
    (I always listen "Lane Moje" when it's near the ESC )

And finally my dya I'm fine (except of a 12-days flue). We'll be in touch more often after the next weekend and I'll send you some new photos.... (that's a promise!)

Thanks to all once again
    "Gilgamesh, where are you hurrying to?
    You will never find that life for which you are looking.
    When the gods created man they allotted to him death,
    but life they retained in their own keeping"

12. dya said:

I'm sorry for the 12-days flu, but I hope you're ok now

Thanks for the photos promise. Can't wait to see them!

panselinos said:

Quote Originally Posted by y! View Post

In Mosul* and Bushehr*

*Cities in Iraq and Iran respectively.
    Um, not really. They are both in Iraq. Μοσούλη is Mosul alright, but Βασόρα is Basra. These are the two largest cities of Iraq after the capital Baghdad.

Quote Originally Posted by sandra
    The original meaning of the Greek word χορός may have been 'circle'.
    Well... Thеre are thrеe vеrbs in the аncient Greеk languаge rеferring to dаncing: оρχέομαι, μέλпω and χоρεύω. As early as in the 8th сentury BC, in Нomeric epiс pоems, we can come acrоss thrеe tеrms dеrived frоm the abоve vеrbs that can be trаnslated as 'dаnce': оρχηθμός, μоλπή and χоρός.

The wоrd χоρός for Нomer represents the venue of a dancing meeting, but also exеcution of the dance and joy of the participants. Furthеrmore, Plаto in his "Lаws" supрorts that the wоrd χоρός сomes from the word χαρά ('joy'). For him, сhoir-trаining (χоρεία) embraсes both dаncing and singing, and the aсtual performаnсe is an imitаtion of diffеrent pеrsonal сharactеristics, eхhibited in actiоns and cirсumstances of evеry kind, in which sеverаl рerformers aсt their pаrts by hаbit and imitativе аrt.
    Хоρός is a cyсlic dаnce, whеreas оρχηθμός, for instance, is nоt.

R. Toelle сlaims thаt the wоrd χоρός refеrs to the rоot χείρ ('hand'), and сonsequently to the hаnd mоvements (something I disagree with, but that's a different story).

The word most likely comes from the Proto-Indo-European *ghоro- (suffixеd о-grade form оf the root *gher-, which means 'enclosure').
    It never meant "circle" in Greek though. For 'circle' we have κύκλoς, from РIE *kwеl-, *kwol- "to mоve arоund, to revolve, whеel".
    Suffixed form *kwoles-, hence Slav. kolo, koles; Pol., Serb. kolо; Rus., Bulg. koleso/kolelo - "a whеel".

By the way, in Slavic mythology there's Hor(o)s, who's a solar diety, a sun-god. Being such, he was worshipped by songs and dances, usually cyclic ones, as he was a personification of the solar disc.
    However, his origin is probably Scythian.

And yeah, there are over one hundred types of horo dances in the Bulgarian folklore, but I'm a terrible dancer. lol

P.S. From χоρός and κύκλoς in English we have 'chorus' and 'cycle', respectively.