Solved: Help me find this song, please

Thread: Solved: Help me find this song, please

Tags: None
  1. Pressure said:

Default Solved: Help me find this song, please

The song is a slower song, could be western like but not country.
    They lyrics are roughly:

There's a possey after me,
    (But/so) I've gotta find a way to see Maria,
    Before the possey catches me(that line might be off a little),
    whoaa, whooa whoa....
    whoaa, whoaa whoa...

I thought the song was called "outlaw" or "possey", which might help. But when I searched it nothing came up. I appreciate it.

logan01 said:

Are you talking about this song from "3:10 to Yuma? The title of the song used in the film is "The Arizona Killer" (lyrics and melody are by the prolific Arizona folk singer/songwriter, Katie Lee, still performing locally at age 88).

It's a 1995 variation of an older ballad, "The Tennessee Killer" variously described as "Traditional" and an "Ozark Folk Song" (First known appearance: 1942.)

The Arizona Killer

I killed a man in Dallas, And another in Cheyenne But when I killed the man in Tombstone I overplayed my hand

I rode all night for Tucson To rob the Robles Mine And I left old Arizona With a posse right behind

I rode across the border And there it did not fail The men that was a-follerin' me They soon did lose my trail; they lost my trail

They galloped back to Tucson To get the Cavalry While I stayed on in Mexico Enjoying liberty; Ayi-ha, enjoyed my liberty

I promised my Rosita A pretty dress of blue She said, "You'd go and get it If you really loved me true; did love me true"

So I went back to the border Just to get that gal a dress I killed a man in Guaymas And two in Nogales; killed two in Nogales

But the posse was a-waitin' To get me on the trail Now in Tombstone I'm a layin' In the Cochise County jail; the Cochise County jail

They-re gonna hang me in the morning A'fore this night is done They're gonna hang me in the mornin' And I'll never see the sun

I want to warn you fellers And tell you one by one What makes a gallows rope to swing A woman and a gun

The original 1942 song:

The Tennessee Killer

Oh I've killed men in Georgia, And men in Alabam' But kill a man in Arkansas And God your soul will damn!

I'd killed a man in Memphis In the State of Tennessee, And I rode straight through to Arkansas With a posse after me.

I rode into the Ozarks And there it did not fail, The men that were a-following me They soon did lose the trail.

They rode right back to Memphis In the State of Tennessee, While I stayed in the Ozarks, Enjoyed my liberty.

But I went down to the city For to get my gal a frock, I killed a man in Conway And two in Little Rock.

The sheriff saw me do it, He got the drop on me, I went up to the jail-house, Give up my liberty.

So they'll hang me in the morning, Ere this long night is done, They'll hang me in the morning And I'll never see the sun.

Beware, beware, you fellows, If you must have your fun, Go do it in a harmless way, But do not touch a gun.
  3. Pressure said:

No thats not it. This lyrics I posted are very similar if not the same as the lyrics of the chorus of that song.
  4. viennashade said:

Too bad, I thought that last poster had hit the nail on the head. Well maybe it's just because you were spelling posse wrong - try doing the search again. The Internet knows everything, just about, and rarely lets me down if I'm persistent. I like old songs like that too. Hope you find it.
  5. HunKs said:

How about "El Paso" by Marty Robbins.... incidentally one of the first pieces of texts that I heard, and possibly influenced me to always appreciate "meaningful" lyrics as opposed to the backing "tunes".... To me, I "feel" the words, and later realize that there couldn't be any other background accompaniments other than that supplied (if'n you get my gist?).
  6. melissa1974 said:

Default I know that song. I've been trying to figure it out for years. Here is more

Lord, I'm bleedin' like a river
    My eyes can hardly see
    But I have to find a way to see Maria
    Befo-ore they put it in to me
    Whoa oh oh whoa oh oh oh

And I remember being younger
    My only fear was passing time
    Growin' up to be the outlaw
    Makin' love and drinkin' wine

Did you ever figure out where it was from? Did you have any leads? Is it possible it is not a published song? I heard it played by guitar in the eighties and nineties at summer camp.
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
    The song is a slower song, could be western like but not country.
    They lyrics are roughly:

There's a possey after me,
    (But/so) I've gotta find a way to see Maria,
    Before the possey catches me(that line might be off a little),
    whoaa, whooa whoa....
    whoaa, whoaa whoa...

I thought the song was called "outlaw" or "possey", which might help. But when I searched it nothing came up. I appreciate it.
  7. milou said:

Default unbelievable!

I have also been looking for this song for years. Heard it at summer camp in North Carolina 19 years ago and still in my head and heart!! Any luck??

Quote Originally Posted by melissa1974 View Post
    Lord, I'm bleedin' like a river
    My eyes can hardly see
    But I have to find a way to see Maria
    Befo-ore they put it in to me
    Whoa oh oh whoa oh oh oh

And I remember being younger
    My only fear was passing time
    Growin' up to be the outlaw
    Makin' love and drinkin' wine

Did you ever figure out where it was from? Did you have any leads? Is it possible it is not a published song? I heard it played by guitar in the eighties and nineties at summer camp.
    -----
  8. melissa1974 said:

Default did you go to camp highlander?

No luck figuring out more about the song. I kind of forgot about it until I got an email that somebody posted about it. Nineties at nc summer camp seems like too much of a coincidence to not be a clue.
    Did go to Camp Highlander?
  9. milou said:

Default Camp Highlander

YES!!! Wow that is really something. This is as neat as finding the song

sunshine20071988 said:

could any of you possiably sing or hum the tune? i remember hearing it at camp in NC but i cant remember the tune...i heard it in 1999
    All request and requested songs are checked mulitiple times with the following Shazam,sound hound,sound tracking,and musicDNA ID...
  11. melissa1974 said:

Default Might be able to....

I'm out of the country a few more days, but I might be able to play it on the piano and email the notes when I get back.
    Milou, what years were you at Highlander? I went as a camper from 1986-1990, and as a counselor in 1992.
    Last edited by melissa1974; 02-26-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: type-o and wrote wrong dates
  12. milou said:

Default year

It was either 1992 or 1993 I think.
  13. Laura2012 said:

Funny, I also went to camp highlander and this song has stuck in my head. Did Greg Gallagher sing it (at camp)

Greg Galloway
    Last edited by Mixalopoulos; 03-25-2012 at 06:46 AM.
  14. Robby Cooper said:

I have a friend who plays in a local band and sings that song. "Outlaw" is listed in their song list. It's probably not a coincidence that she used to be a camp counselor in North Carolina (I don't know which camp it was).
  15. Robby Cooper said:
  16. Bhodizapha said:

Default THE OUTLAW by Bill Agle

Quote Originally Posted by Laura2012 View Post
    Funny, I also went to camp highlander and this song has stuck in my head. Did Greg Gallagher sing it (at camp)

Greg Galloway
    This is the song. It was written by Bill Agle (who also wrote Lover's Rain and the Goodbye Song). Greg Galloway and Bruce Threlkeld used to sing this song at Camp Highlander campfires. Definitely a favorite. I learned the song from them and 25 years later I still play it!

CHonelove
  17. milou said:

That's the song. I'm amazed! Robby, I'm curious, how did you come across this discussion?? Thanks for posting this--too cool.
  18. Robby Cooper said:

Quote Originally Posted by milou View Post
    That's the song. I'm amazed! Robby, I'm curious, how did you come across this discussion?? Thanks for posting this--too cool.
    I was doing the same thing you were. Biodizapha (who posted above) sings it with her band. I was trying to identify the song title by googling lyrics and this page was one of the ones that came up in the search results.
  19. Bhodizapha said:

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine20071988 View Post
    could any of you possiably sing or hum the tune? i remember hearing it at camp in NC but i cant remember the tune...i heard it in 1999
    What did you do there in 1999? That was the year Bug Juice was filming.
  20. MartinD18 said:

I wrote this song - recorded in Chapel Hill NC on TGS Records at the time. Four CDs - Lover's Rain - Captiva - Turquoise & Silver - and the latest Road To Damascus. www.billagle.com
    Thanks for your interest.
    BA