Learning Spanish language

Thread: Learning Spanish language

Tags: None
  1. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Estrellita View Post
    I'm jealous, I wish I could do that lol
    then just learn a bunch of underground songs that nobody knows and they'll THINK you made it up jaja

Estrellita said:

andloveyelledno: thankz the Spanish dictonary does really help

dmoney 101: lol I'll try it. Do you think if I work at a mexican resturaunt it will help with my spanish too?

3. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Estrellita View Post
    andloveyelledno: thankz the Spanish dictonary does really help

dmoney 101: lol I'll try it. Do you think if I work at a mexican resturaunt it will help with my spanish too?
    yea it would help, but it'd be pretty hard to get hired at a good one (one that's actually owned my a mexican) since they usually like to hire other hispanics (a mexican restaurant wouldn't look very authentic if all the employees were white or black would it? hahaha)

Estrellita said:

lol that's true

CoOl_GiRl said:

Talking Some Panamenian Slangs!

Xopa-hola= hello
    blood, fren, compa, pasiero-amigo= friend
    diablo rojo-(red devil, buses are called so in Panama)-bus= bus
    Voy pa lante= Me voy= i'm leaving
    Ayala!-( expression kinda Ay)
    Un dime (10 cents)
    Un real (5 cents)
    Plata-Dinero= money
    Mulear-Caminar= walk
    Chantin-Casa= House
    Parkear- Estar con amigos= be with friends, talking

When i remember more i will write them... cause panamenians are SO CREATIVE ^^!

6. AzteK said:

Default --Panamanian slang understood--

Let me guess why you call the bus-diablo rojo-
    Dejame adivinar porque llaman al bus-diablo rojo-
    It is because of their high speed as they try to steal each other passengers, reckless
    Es por su alta velocidad al intentar robarse uno al otro los pasajeros, manejo
    driving and sudden stops.
    descuidado y paradas repentinas
    Where I live we call them peseras-it´s like a fish tank with so much fish they can
    Donde yo vivo los llamamos peseras-es como una pesera con tantos peces que apenas
    barely move-this only happens in Hispania.
    pueden moverse-esto solo sucede en Hispania.

7. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by AzteK View Post
    Let me guess why you call the bus-diablo rojo-
    Dejame adivinar porque llaman al bus-diablo rojo-
    It is because of their high speed as they try to steal each other passengers, reckless
    Es por su alta velocidad al intentar robarse uno al otro los pasajeros, manejo
    driving and sudden stops.
    descuidado y paradas repentinas
    Where I live we call them peseras-it´s like a fish tank with so much fish they can
    Donde yo vivo los llamamos peseras-es como una pesera con tantos peces que apenas
    barely move-this only happens in Hispania.
    pueden moverse-esto solo sucede en Hispania.
    wow, every country has a weird name for the bus. Dominicans call it the gua gua (i think puerto ricans use that too)

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    wow, every country has a weird name for the bus. Dominicans call it the gua gua (i think puerto ricans use that too)
    It's guagua for Cubans too! It must be a Caribbean thing.

9. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by damarys View Post
    It's guagua for Cubans too! It must be a Caribbean thing.
    yea, i think it is. it sounds like a caribbean word since a lot of Dominicans/Cubans (not as many Puerto Ricans) come from African decent. It's funny, all the Cubans i've ever seen have either been really white, or really black, but never any mestizos haha

damarys said:

yea, i think it is. it sounds like a caribbean word since a lot of Dominicans/Cubans (not as many Puerto Ricans) come from African decent. It's funny, all the Cubans i've ever seen have either been really white, or really black, but never any mestizos haha
    Actually, there are quite a few Cuban "mestizos". There is a lot of mixing in Cuba. There are also many Cubans of Chinese or Asian ancestry so some people have a really unique look. Then there are some of us who look Middle Eastern because of ancestry from Southern Spain. You really can't say what a Cuban looks like (we come in all colors, shapes and sizes) but as soon as you hear one... you know it! Oye... chico... eso si que es la pura verdad!

11. dmoney101 said:

Actually, there are quite a few Cuban "mestizos". There is a lot of mixing in Cuba. There are also many Cubans of Chinese or Asian ancestry so some people have a really unique look. Then there are some of us who look Middle Eastern because of ancestry from Southern Spain. You really can't say what a Cuban looks like (we come in all colors, shapes and sizes) but as soon as you hear one... you know it! Oye... chico... eso si que es la pura verdad!
    yea, it's pretty much how dominicans talk, just without as much slang and with less of a jamaican sounding accent. i can pick it up pretty quick :P

xiurell said:

Then there are some of us who look Middle Eastern because of ancestry from Southern Spain.

Which part of Southern Spain? I'm a mix too, my father from Andalucía, my mother from Murcia (both in the South) and me, I was born on the Balearic Island on the Mediterranean Sea.

damarys said:

Quote Originally Posted by xiurell View Post
    Which part of Southern Spain? I'm a mix too, my father from Andalucía, my mother from Murcia (both in the South) and me, I was born on the Balearic Island on the Mediterranean Sea.
    No clue. Third world communist countries are not big on geneology (they are concerned with other important things, like eating!). I just know that my dad's family is most likely from northern Spain and my mom's from southern Spain... with some Moroccon (sp?). We lived in Spain for a year when I was a child and found people that looked just like me. I remember thinking I was home. I've been to Andalucia; loved it there.

14. dmoney101 said:

No clue. Third world communist countries are not big on geneology (they are concerned with other important things, like eating!).
    true, true. i wish Cuba was a free country. It has such a great culture and people. Sucks that some insane tyrant has control over it, and will pass it on to an equally insane tyrant

jandros said:

true, true. i wish Cuba was a free country. It has such a great culture and people.....
    Ohhh yes I want to agree so much ... I just spent a week with people from everywhere in the Americas, and ... first, on the subject of Spanish, it was really confusing! ... but in a pleasant way ..... but also, I talked to a Cubano a couple of times, briefly, and now I really want to visit Cuba. But I don't even know where an American can go in Cuba, easily ...?...

dmoney101, gua gua: Yes, last week I saw it in San Juan, a few times, but I wasn't sure what it meant. If you're correct about it, then now I know what it means. Muchas gracias
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

damarys said:

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jandros View Post
    Ohhh yes I want to agree so much ... I just spent a week with people from everywhere in the Americas, and ... first, on the subject of Spanish, it was really confusing! ... but in a pleasant way ..... but also, I talked to a Cubano a couple of times, briefly, and now I really want to visit Cuba. But I don't even know where an American can go in Cuba, easily ...?...

dmoney101, gua gua: Yes, last week I saw it in San Juan, a few times, but I wasn't sure what it meant. If you're correct about it, then now I know what it means. Muchas gracias
    If you have dollars, you can go anywhere. The problem is getting there. US citizens are not allowed (?) to travel to Cuba. Of course, people find a way, like through Mexico or Canada. It is a beautiful country. They have a big tourist industry there. Many Europeans vacation there without any difficulty. THe sad part is to see the diachotomy of the very well to do (tourists), with the average Jose (Joe...).

jandros said:

Thanks Damarys. You explained why one of my Cuban friends was a little ..... hmmm, vague?

But I believe there are actually 2 places that US citizens can visit, legally. But maybe only for "business" reasons? Yo no sé. Anyway, I'm gonna check on it.

About the Cuban language: I stayed at a hotel in Miami a week ago (and also yesterday), and I walked down the street to find some Cuban food. Found a place very easily, and the menu was posted in the window, but I couldn't read most of it. Problema muy grande. Maybe I just don't know enough about Cuban food? ... but anyway, I had Chinese food instead, because that menu was in English
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...

18. dmoney101 said:

Thanks Damarys. You explained why one of my Cuban friends was a little ..... hmmm, vague?

But I believe there are actually 2 places that US citizens can visit, legally. But maybe only for "business" reasons? Yo no sé. Anyway, I'm gonna check on it.

About the Cuban language: I stayed at a hotel in Miami a week ago (and also yesterday), and I walked down the street to find some Cuban food. Found a place very easily, and the menu was posted in the window, but I couldn't read most of it. Problema muy grande. Maybe I just don't know enough about Cuban food? ... but anyway, I had Chinese food instead, because that menu was in English
    i think Cuban food is supposed to be really good. I love torta, but i've heard Torta Cubana ta como un trinquete jaja.

jandros said:

i think Cuban food is supposed to be really good. I love torta, but i've heard Torta Cubana ta como un trinquete jaja.
    ... well, maybe it would interesting to try it ... I think!

20. dmoney101 said:

... well, maybe it would interesting to try it ... I think!
    i'm down to try anything at least once if a mexican cooks it lol. I've had pig intestine tacos (didn't know it was before i started eating them) and it was one of the best things i've ever eaten. I need to try a torta de lengua soon. heard lengua is some of the best meat