Learning Spanish language

Thread: Learning Spanish language

Tags: None

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Guauuuu!! Bienvenido nuevamente, si, me parece que ya te había visto en el foro árabe... a nosotras también nos gusta mucho esa música (sa7 Zahra?), aunque yo al foro turco casi no entro, pero ando muy metida en el árabe
    si, si, si... claro que si amiga.... y pues yo si entro al foro Turco.......por ahi nos vemos Cesar
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    yea, i think it is. it sounds like a caribbean word since a lot of Dominicans/Cubans (not as many Puerto Ricans) come from African decent. It's funny, all the Cubans i've ever seen have either been really white, or really black, but never any mestizos haha
    Actually Puerto Ricans do have some African in them. When Colombus came over...he brought slaves who colonized in PR. So if you go to certain parts of PR particularly in the north east such as Santurce, Loiza, Loiza Aldea, Trujillo...you'll see a lot of blacks...Most of our music has a lot of African touches to it as well...such as bomba, plena..stemming from Percussion which is huge in African culture.
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by jandros View Post
    So can you tell me, what does "bolo" mean in Cuban?? I mean as a slur or a name-calling kind of thing? Or should I even use that word in a public forum???
    Bolo in english is like a necktie or a long blade...
    but in spanish Bolo I guess is Bowling as stated by dmoney....

I believe the greeting in Cuba is "Que Bola?" which is the equivalent of saying What's up?...
    Dime cosas dulces para que cuando te las tengas que tragar, no te sepan tan amargas!!!

4. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    Bolo in english is like a necktie or a long blade...
    but in spanish Bolo I guess is Bowling as stated by dmoney....

I believe the greeting in Cuba is "Que Bola?" which is the equivalent of saying What's up?...
    yea, Que Bola is the main one from that country. i've also heard em say K lo k like dominicans and k la k hay like boricuas

seydarr said:

first all those foods made me hungrygracias por las fotografias

can some one please explain me subjunctives they are the most confusing thing in spanish grammar!!! i will be very happy if someone does!!!

thanx, mucho gracias

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by seydarr View Post

can some one please explain me subjunctives they are the most confusing thing in spanish grammar!!! i will be very happy if someone does!!!

thanx, mucho gracias
    It's kinda hard to explain without going into great detail.....but I just got this little excerpt from wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjunc...e_in_Spanish):

The subjunctive in Spanish

In Spanish, the subjunctive (subjuntivo) is used in conjunction with impersonal expressions, expressions of emotion, opinion, or viewpoint. It is also used to describe situations that are considered unlikely or are in doubt, as well as for expressing disagreement, volition, or denial.

Many common expressions commonly introduce subjunctive clauses. Examples include:

* Es una pena que... "It is a shame that..."
    * Quiero que... "I want..."
    * Ojalá que... "Hopefully..."
    * Es importante que... "It is important that..."
    * Me alegro de que... "I am happy that..."
    * Es bueno que... "It is good that..."
    * Es necesario que... "It is necessary that..."
    * Dudo que... "I doubt that..."

Spanish has two past subjunctive forms. They are almost identical, except that where the "first form" has -ra-, the "second form" has -se-. Both forms are usually interchangeable although the -se- form may be more common in Spain than in other Spanish-speaking areas. The -ra- forms may also be used as an alternative to the conditional in certain structures.

Hopefully this is useful!

seydarr said:

yeah it was very useful. my spanish teacher told me to recognise the -ra forms but told me not to use them and he said because they use -se rather than -ra in spain!!! what a great language gracias again

bebestylee said:

yeah it was very useful. my spanish teacher told me to recognise the -ra forms but told me not to use them and he said because they use -se rather than -ra in spain!!! what a great language gracias again
    Anytime...that's what we are here for!

seydarr said:

and is there much difference if you pronounce those accents on vowels or shall i not care a lot because i cant get them in my head!!!
    Είναι τα αισθήματα μου σαν θηρία ανήμερα, κι ούτε ξέρω πως τ' αντέχω και τα συγκρατώ.

xiurell said:

thanx, mucho gracias
    The difference between indicative and subjunctive is the difference between certainty/objectivity (indicative) and possibility/subjectivity (subjunctive)

So when the verb of the main clause express some sujectivity, doubt, possibility the subordinated clause use the subjunctive mood.

Expressing a desire: Mi madre quiere que estudie medicina
    Expressing a doubt: No creo que llegue a tiempo
    With expression like es probable que, cuando, es interesante que, etc.
    In negative commands : No tires el papel

If you encounter a sentence with a main clause followed by a second clause, and the main clause introduces a quality of certainty or objectivity, the sentence will use the indicative mood in the second clause, since the sentence will be reporting something certain

es cierto que aprobó los examenes(it is certain that he passed the exams)
    no cabe duda de que es una gran persona (there's no doubt that he's a great person)
    estoy seguro que vendrá mañana (I'm sure he will come tomorrow)

Since these expressions introduce a quality of certainty, they do not trigger the use of the subjunctive.

Saludos

bebestylee said:

and is there much difference if you pronounce those accents on vowels or shall i not care a lot because i cant get them in my head!!!
    hmmm depends....because the accents can make the word different...changing the emphasis...

ie:
    campana = bell
    campaña = campaign

accents are tough...I don't know them all myself....but I can wing it since i've been around the language.....it's tougher when you're a newcomer to the language.

seydarr said:

i kind of start to get an image in my head!!!

mucho gracias i love spanish!!! sounds like greek
    Είναι τα αισθήματα μου σαν θηρία ανήμερα, κι ούτε ξέρω πως τ' αντέχω και τα συγκρατώ.

xiurell said:

Perdona bebestylee no me había dado cuenta que ya lo estabas explicando tú

seydarr said:

well the pronounciation is really tough sometimes as the words can mean totally different things because of the way you say it!!! i had a lot of trouble with these during my speaking exams

bebestylee said:

Quote Originally Posted by xiurell View Post
    Perdona bebestylee no me había dado cuenta que ya lo estabas explicando tú
    nahhh tranquilo mano....que pa eso estamos....quizas se lo explicaste mejor!! ja ja

xiurell said:

sounds like greek
    You're right, that's what I like learning Greek

bebestylee said:

well the pronounciation is really tough sometimes as the words can mean totally different things because of the way you say it!!! i had a lot of trouble with these during my speaking exams
    yeah...changing the accent and the emphasis on a word can completely change the meaning of it....that makes the language tough.....but you seem like a smart person.....i have no doubt you'll pick it up!

seydarr said:

got some similar words as well i love recognising spanish words which are similar in greek, makes me sound big headed but i love it

xiurell said:

got some similar words as well i love recognising spanish words which are similar in greek, makes me sound big headed but i love it
    Yes that makes the Learning easier

seydarr said:

Quote Originally Posted by bebestylee View Post
    yeah...changing the accent and the emphasis on a word can completely change the meaning of it....that makes the language tough.....but you seem like a smart person.....i have no doubt you'll pick it up!

hahahahaha or jajajaja in spanish

i take that as a compliment thanx a lot... i think best compliment to hear is that a spanish person telling you which part of spain you are from best thing to hear during your life!!!