Learning Spanish language

Thread: Learning Spanish language

Tags: None

citlalli said:

Well well... we have a new student here welcome Orwa I second Mares' opinion: have a look around this thread, there are some basic interesting things post around.

I'd like to help... tell me, what's it you'd like to learn? you want to learn the language properly (I mean with all the grammar and stuff)? or just conversational skills?
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

Orwa said:

Dear Citalli, i would like to study the conversational skills, i don't want to work as translator, i just want to read and write and understand!
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

citlalli said:

Ok

Buenos días, ¿cómo estás? = Good morning, how are you?

Buenas tardes= Good afternoon

Buenas noches= Good evening/ Good night

Like that???
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

Orwa said:

WOW, thanks citlalli, but i am sorry, i need to know how to read this letters first!

í and ¿, á, ó,

do you know any site that i can hear how to spell the letters?!
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

citlalli said:

Nope, but I'll look for one .... although the pronunciation doesn't change, they are like a normal vowel, only you stress it... a bit like the long vowels alif, waw and ya in arabic... it's hard to explain... I'll find you a good link soon inshallah

6. rizzymunchy said:

hi all just been having a peek and think I can learn quite a bit from on here .
    I already know Zahra and have been introduced to Debairs
    so just wanted to say Hello to everyone else

citlalli said:

@Orwa:

I've been having a quick look around and I found this site which I think is good and helpful (I selected already the chapter about stress for the vowels á, ó, etc. but I had a quick look around the other topics and I think you may like it... so go on and explore it dear should you have any questions we're here to help you ):

http://www.studyspanish.com/pronunciation/stress.htm

This other site also looks fine, but I think there are no audio files (I'm not quite sure though coz I only had a quiiiiiick look at it):

http://spanish.about.com/od/tipsforl...sh/u/start.htm

That's it for now ... if I find something interesting I'll post the link here

rizzy: hi, nice to meet you

Orwa said:

thank you very much citalli, i will see the website but not now, as you know, my mind is of, it's 6 o'clock, but i promise tomorrow morning i will buy a notebook to write every thing!

istanbulgal said:

Orwa: i'm so glad you want to learn my adopted language. You want to know everything we're saying now, don't you?.

I'm here to help you too, ask anytime. If you buy a Spanish language beginners book, that will teach you all the basics, 1st year uni. books are very good.

Buena suerte amigo!
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

Orwa said:

thank you Ms. M, i will go to book store when i have the holiday, three day's leter, and see every thing can help

i really respect your comment, thank you again!

DeBaires said:

Orwa, I'm glad to see you've taken such a an interest in Spanish.
    Nu ştiu de ce lupt aşa pentru tine.
    Ti it l'avìe tut ma adess 't as nen gnente.
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

12. miania said:

how is this in spanish...

do you have lemons?
    how much is this?

walking_on_air10 said:

¿Tiene limones? (formal)
    or
    ¿Tienes limones? (informal)

If you mean how much does this cost, then say:
    ¿Cuánto cuesta esto/esta?

xiurell said:

Quote Originally Posted by walking_on_air10 View Post
    ¿Tiene limones? (formal)
    or
    ¿Tienes limones? (informal)

If you mean how much does this cost, then say:
    ¿Cuánto cuesta esto/esta?
    Good done

We use too ¿Cuánto vale?

walking_on_air10 said:

Quote Originally Posted by xiurell View Post
    Good done

We use too ¿Cuánto vale?
    That makes sense.
    If you don't mind me correcting your English, it should be "well" done.

16. MaresLejanos said:

Good done

We use too ¿Cuánto vale?
    Friend, we say both here, ¿Cuánto vale? and ¿Cuánto cuesta?

DeBaires said:

In Argentina (& I'm sure in other places too) we say ¿Cuánto sale?
    Nu ştiu de ce lupt aşa pentru tine.
    Ti it l'avìe tut ma adess 't as nen gnente.
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

18. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    In Argentina (& I'm sure in other places too) we say ¿Cuánto sale?
    yea, that makes perfect sense, even if you translate it into english. i use cuanto cueta myself

xiurell said:

Quote Originally Posted by walking_on_air10 View Post
    That makes sense.
    If you don't mind me correcting your English, it should be "well" done.
    thank you, my English is awful

istanbulgal said:

Good done
    Not bad at all Pepe, just a little funny.

You can also say "nicely done or superbly done" (but not goodly done).

Ten un buen fin de semana!

@edit: i should add that many words in English, as is the case with most languages i suppose, are not written a specific way just because it does not sound good & not because there is a grammatical error per sey, example, why is "goodly" wrong?. Simply because the sound makes us natives ROFL.
    Last edited by istanbulgal; 01-23-2009 at 01:55 PM.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein