Learning Spanish language

Thread: Learning Spanish language

Tags: None

MGrace said:

Hey i'm lost what is this saying? "Baila morena, baila morena... debajo del sol y encima de la arena"...

"en un viaje"?-confused? I know i'm off on that one! LOL

Something about dance "with me" I think??? Can't figure out the rest.

citlalli said:

"Baila morena, baila morena... debajo del sol y encima de la arena... en un viaje" = Dance morena*, dance morena... under the sun and on the sand... in a trip."

*morena is a dark-skinned woman.
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

xiurell said:

Quote Originally Posted by istanbulgal View Post
    Not bad at all Pepe, just a little funny.

You can also say "nicely done or superbly done" (but not goodly done).

Ten un buen fin de semana!

@edit: i should add that many words in English, as is the case with most languages i suppose, are not written a specific way just because it does not sound good & not because there is a grammatical error per sey, example, why is "goodly" wrong?. Simply because the sound makes us natives ROFL.
    This forum helps me a lot to improve my English
    I can understand almost 100% but a different thing is to write it correctly

Have a nice weekend too

MGrace said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    "Baila morena, baila morena... debajo del sol y encima de la arena... en un viaje" = Dance morena*, dance morena... under the sun and on the sand... in a trip."

*morena is a dark-skinned woman.
    I KNEW it! LOL awww thats cute! a dude was saying that to me, but I wanted to play like I understood! hehe:-)

MGrace said:

Hey could somebody tell me what this says too? "x eso d ai media morena" I think he was abbreviated! :-)

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by MGrace View Post
    I KNEW it! LOL awww thats cute! a dude was saying that to me, but I wanted to play like I understood! hehe:-)

I'm sorry but I don't understand the last sentence you posted for translation I'll try to figure it out... or hopefully someone will knack it and translate it...
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

MGrace said:

Yea they love to abbrivate, chop up the words, and I'm not fluent so they lose me as soon as they start that up! LOL

8. dmoney101 said:

Hey could somebody tell me what this says too? "x eso d ai media morena" I think he was abbreviated! :-)
    i think it's supposed to be "por eso de hay media morena" which i don't understand

9. MaresLejanos said:

"por eso, de ahí media morena" ?????

MGrace said:

Thats it ya'll! I just got back from Barnes&Noble w/my spanish grammer book! its time to apply some knowledge

citlalli said:

Hi! The problem with that sentence is that it just makes no sense

"Por eso de ahí media morena" would literally be: "that's why from there half morena"

Anyway, good luck with your studying and see you around here

MGrace said:

yea next time it gets abbriviated like that, i'm going to tell him to write out the full sentence!

Hey I checked out a Spanish-English Dictionary, isn't that good if you're trying to learn or improve spanish, build your vocab? I can't read all spanish anywayz, but I heard you have to think spanish when you're learning, not english or else its harder.

I guess because English is my first language I have no choice but to think in english when I translate something!
    Last edited by MGrace; 01-26-2009 at 01:13 PM.

13. dmoney101 said:

yea next time it gets abbriviated like that, i'm going to tell him to write out the full sentence!

Hey I checked out a Spanish-English Dictionary, isn't that good if you're trying to learn or improve spanish, build your vocab? I can't read all spanish anywayz, but I heard you have to think spanish when you're learning, not english or else its harder.

I guess because English is my first language I have no choice but to think in english when I translate something!
    you could get a dictionary, but they're more of a reference. just google "learn spanish" and you can find websites with lots of vocab work. and yea, thinkin in spanish makes it a lot better. i remember having dreams in spanish jaja

MGrace said:

Yea well I have a book that breakes down the whole language. I got the dictionary to get the meaning of certain words. And I guess help me build my vocab in Spanish. Soooo how does "thinking español" really go?

15. dmoney101 said:

Yea well I have a book that breakes down the whole language. I got the dictionary to get the meaning of certain words. And I guess help me build my vocab in Spanish. Soooo how does "thinking español" really go?
    just the same as in english. just make thoughts to yourself in spanish jaja. i always try to count in spanish because numbers always throw me off

MGrace said:

Yea numbers get hard the higher they go! But I have a serious issue with conjugation, and feminine and masculine placement! So I just need help all the way around! LOL

17. dmoney101 said:

Yea numbers get hard the higher they go! But I have a serious issue with conjugation, and feminine and masculine placement! So I just need help all the way around! LOL
    jaja, that reminds me of something that happened in spanish class today. the teacher was talkin about direct object whatevers (you know, me, te, lo, etc.) and asked us "how would you say "ella pega a el"?" and a mexican raised his hand and said "ella le pega" and she was like "no, it would be lo pega". everybody that spoke spanish was just sitting there like "what the f? she sticks it, that makes no sense" god i hate learning spanish in class because it's way different than how i or anybody else talks :P

DeBaires said:

Just in case you wanted to know "ella le pega" would be used if you wanna say:

"she hits him with a rock" ~ "ella le pega con una piedra."

Because the rock is the direct object, not him, so you use le when referring to him.

If you use lo, him is the direct object ~ "ella lo pega."

Does that make sense?
    Nu ştiu de ce lupt aşa pentru tine.
    Ti it l'avìe tut ma adess 't as nen gnente.
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.

19. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by DeBaires View Post
    Just in case you wanted to know "ella le pega" would be used if you wanna say:

"she hits him with a rock" ~ "ella le pega con una piedra."

Because the rock is the direct object, not him, so you use le when referring to him.

If you use lo, him is the direct object ~ "ella lo pega."

Does that make sense?
    yea, that's the proper way, but everybody i know and every way i hear it is le for him/her regardless if it's direct or indirect

DeBaires said:

Oh, haha. Oh well
    Nu ştiu de ce lupt aşa pentru tine.
    Ti it l'avìe tut ma adess 't as nen gnente.
    Exchange the sunshine for brown eyes & dark skies, replace this dull life with you.