Learning Spanish language

Thread: Learning Spanish language

Tags: None

citlalli said:

@DeBaires: You really say that? I'd never heard "lo(a) pego" before in all my life...

@Dmoney: How long have you been learning spanish? it took me ages till I started really thinking and dreaming in foreign languages!
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

xiurell said:

the correct sentence will be

ex. Ella pega una paliza a su marido

Ella le pega una paliza

when "una paliza" is the direct object and "a su marido" the indirect object

So it is not correct to say "Lo pega" or "la pega" although lot of people use it specially in Madrid . It's named "loísmo"

MGrace said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    @DeBaires: You really say that? I'd never heard "lo(a) pego" before in all my life...

@Dmoney: How long have you been learning spanish? it took me ages till I started really thinking and dreaming in foreign languages!
    I have! LOL I guess because I use what I know alot, I had a dream last night that I was speaking spanish and someone was translating!!!

But before I went to bed I was studying real hard too, so that might be the reason too...not sure.

HEY I thought spanish didn't use the word "LE"...or is it rarely used!?

4. dmoney101 said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post

it's been about a year and a half for me. i don't remember when my first dream was though

Quote Originally Posted by xiurell View Post
    the correct sentence will be

ex. Ella pega una paliza a su marido

Ella le pega una paliza

when "una paliza" is the direct object and "a su marido" the indirect object

So it is not correct to say "Lo pega" or "la pega" although lot of people use it specially in Madrid . It's named "loísmo"
    yea, i read a paper my teacher gave all the confused hispanics (and me :P) about leismo and loismo. i don't really care about being proper though, i just wanna talk normal

Quote Originally Posted by MGrace View Post
    I have! LOL I guess because I use what I know alot, I had a dream last night that I was speaking spanish and someone was translating!!!

But before I went to bed I was studying real hard too, so that might be the reason too...not sure.

le is really common in most countries when something is done to "him/her"

citlalli said:

LOL nice dream!!

Yes, like Dmoney said, 'le' is used for the indirect object, so we say it all the time

@Dmoney: yes, I guess you're right, what really matters at the end is just being able to communicate in a natural way

Greetings for everyone!
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

Orwa said:

@all, and specialy for who offered me that they will help me in this lanugage (Citalli, Zahra, Diego, Istanbulgal)

i hope to tell me the spanish translating of this words!
    1- i want to(Want)
    2- i am trying to(Try)
    3- i hope to (Hope)
    4- From
    5- Yes
    6- No
    7- i don't know (Maybe it's yo don't se)
    8- With you (With)
    9- peoples

i know it's difficult work but i hope to have some help,

Thanks(gracias) in advance
    " Those that don't appreciate life..do not deserve life...how much blood are you willing to give to stay alive....live or die...make your choice... " ( Jigsaw)

kmmy said:

1- i want to(Want) = (yo) quiero (querer)
    2- i am trying to(Try) = (yo) trato de (tratar)
    3- i hope to (Hope) = (yo) espero que(esperar)
    4- From = de
    5- Yes =
    6- No = no
    7- i don't know (Maybe it's yo don't se) = (yo) no sé
    8- With you (With) = contigo (con)
    9- peoples = gente

in every case u can use or not that yo. if u don't use it, it's no problem because it's understandable from the verb form specific to 1st pers

Urbaniak said:

Default Talk to you later formal vs informal le vs te

Hi all
    I was taught
    In the spanish language the very near future is often expressed in present form rather than future more often than we would in English. Is this true?
    Le hablo pronto = talk to you later. Is this the "formal" form?
    Would I say
    te hablo pronto= in tu form? In other words if I was talking to my brother.
    Thanks
    Hugs Joyce
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Urbaniak View Post
    Hi all
    I was taught
    In the spanish language the very near future is often expressed in present form rather than future more often than we would in English. Is this true?
    Le hablo pronto = talk to you later. Is this the "formal" form?
    Would I say
    te hablo pronto= in tu form? In other words if I was talking to my brother.
    Thanks
    Hugs Joyce
    if you are talking let say with a friend or relative, you can use
    te hablo pronto

but if you are talking with your boss.... or in "formal" form, you can use
    le hablo pronto

but both case are correct, just the second one shows a little bit more of respect
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

xiurell said:

Joyce, you can use too to express future

IR A + Infinitive

ex. voy a llamarte (=te llamaré)
    ex. voy a comer (=comeré)
    ex. voy a escribir (=te escribiré)

MGrace said:

Oooo goodness ya'll!!! my head is going to explode! Is that normal when you're trying to learn a second language the proper way? Or do I need to be seen by a doctor! *starts digging for ibuprofen* :/

citlalli said:

Normal

Zahra2008 said:

Oooo goodness ya'll!!! my head is going to explode! Is that normal when you're trying to learn a second language the proper way? Or do I need to be seen by a doctor! *starts digging for ibuprofen* :/
    totally normal... tell me about it..... I want to learn 2 languages

Urbaniak said:

Thanks Zahra and Xiuell
    Hugs Joyce
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Urbaniak View Post
    Thanks Zahra and Xiuell
    Hugs Joyce
    you're welcome!!

16. miania said:

when do you use por and when para? is por=porque?

citlalli said:

The general rule is:

"por"=by
    "para"=for

I think the use of por & para has many rules, but I really don't know them.

¿por qué?=why?
    porque=because

18. ichatfilipina said:

thank you so much. i have learned a basic spanish language here.

Urbaniak said:

Yes there are many rules for por and para here are some of them.
    Uses for por:

Expressing movement along, through, around, by or about: Anduve por las calles de la ciudad. I walked through the streets of the city.

Denoting a time or duration when something occurs. Viajamos por tres semanas. We're traveling for three weeks.

Expressing the cause not the purpose) of an action: Me caí por la nieve. I fell down because of the snow.

Meaning per: Dos por ciento.Two percent.

Meaning supporting or in favor of: Trabajamos por derechos humanos. We work for human rights.

Introducing the agent of an action after a passive verb: Fue escrito por Bob Woodward. It was written by Bob Woodward.

Indicating means of transportation: Viajaré por avión. I will travel by plane.

Used in numerous expressions: Por ejemplo. For example. Por favor. Please.

Uses for para:

Meaning for the purpose of or in order to: Para bailar la bamba, necesita una poca de gracia. In order to dance the bamba you need a little grace.

With a noun or pronoun as object, meaning for the benefit of or directed to: Es para usted. It's for you.

Meaning to or in the direction of when referring to a specific place: Voy para Europa. I'm heading to Europe.

Meaning by or for when referring to a specific time: Necesito el regalo para mañana. I need the gift for tomorrow. Vamos a la casa de mi madre para el fin de semana. We're going to my mother's for the weekend.

Hugs Joyce

Urbaniak said:

Default translation please

Hi all
    I'm having trouble translating this.
    La diferencia entre ella y yo, es que cuando yo baile la voy a opacar... si, la voy a opacar con el reguero de polilla que saldra cuando yo de la primera vueltita...jajajajajajaja....

I understand this much of it.
    The difference between her and I is that when I dance I'm going to ( do something). If I am going to , something about moths coming from a first tern.
    Can someone clear this up for me.
    Thanks Joyce