G. Perris / Judas & Emma Shapplin *

Thread: G. Perris / Judas & Emma Shapplin *

Tags: None
  1. NARDY BERNAL said:

Question G. Perris / Judas & Emma Shapplin *

I make 2 new requests.

Can someone translate the song "Judas" from Giorgos Perris last cd.

ΙΟΥΔΑΣ

Μουσική: Νίκος Γιούσεφ
    Στίχοι: Ρεβέκκα Ρούσση

Περπάτησα κρυφά στις
    άκρες των χειλιών σου
    Σε είδα πάλι να γελάς, να
    κλαις με τον εχθρό σου
    Εχθρός ήμουν εγώ εκεί
    απέναντί σου
    Σου έλεγα για σένα ζω και
    μου 'λεγες κοιμήσου

Το όνειρο βαθύ, ο έρωτας
    μεγάλος
    Για σένα ήμουνα εγώ, ή
    μήπως κάποιος άλλος;
    Περπάτησα κρυφά στις
    άκρες των χειλιών σου
    Ιούδας είμαι σε φιλώ, μα
    θέλω το καλό σου

And I would also be very thankful if someone can tell me the meaning of this phrase " ZAEΛEΞAMAN ONAP KYΠPOΓENHAI ". This phrase is in an Emma Shapplin song named Celtica and they have told me that is in ancient greek language. Maybe someone could give me an idea.

Double Thanks

panselinos said:

Quote Originally Posted by NARDY BERNAL View Post
    And I would also be very thankful if someone can tell me the meaning of this phrase " ZAEΛEΞAMAN ONAP KYΠPOΓENHAI ". This phrase is in an Emma Shapplin song named Celtica and they have told me that is in ancient greek language. Maybe someone could give me an idea.
    It's ancient Greek alright. Moreover, it's Aeolic Greek.
    This is a poem by Sappho and merely runs: "I spoke to Aphrodite in my dream" (lit. "to the Cyprus-born").

I'll translate the song later, cause I gotta run now.

P.S. I don't quite get it. What does Aphrodite have to do with the Celts in the first place? :/
    It should have been Aine or something. :р

maria_gr said:

Quote Originally Posted by panselinos View Post
    It's ancient Greek alright. Moreover, it's Aeolic Greek.
    This is a poem by Sappho and merely runs: "I spoke to Aphrodite in my dream" (lit. "to the Cyprus-born").

I'll translate the song later, cause I gotta run now.

P.S. I don't quite get it. What does Aphrodite have to do with the Celts in the first place? :/
    It should have been Aine or something. :р
    OMG Panselinos, you can understand ancient Greek too? Well done my friend, you really amazed me right now.
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

panselinos said:

Well, yeah, Maraki mou, I do.

What was I reading... A, na to. Let me see... There:

Το Τοτεναμ τον ποδοσφαιριστην Σαμουηλ Ετωο, ος νυν εν τη Βαρκελονη εργαζεται, μισθουν βουλεται, ο δε της Βρεττανικης εταιρειας προεδρος εις την Καταλανην πολιν δι' ολιγου ελευσεται ινα τω της Βαρκελονης προεδρω πραττη, ο μεν γαρ της Β. προεδρος τω Ετωο ηδη ειπεν οτι δει αυτον εξελθειν και την Β. καταλιπειν, το δε Μιλαν και τον Ετωο βουλεται. Αρα δια τι η Β. τουτον τον αριστον ποδοσφαιριστην ουκετι κατεχειν βουλεται; ουδεις την αποκρισιν οιδεν· ο δε Ρωναλδινιω ετι εν τη Βαρκελονη μενει, ουτω γαρ ραθυμος εστιν ωστε ουδεις αυτον μισθουν βουλεται.

How about that? LOL!

maria_gr said:

I have no words. Where did you find that? Lol it is funny!
    Άνθρωποι τύχης είδωλον επλάσαντο, πρόφασιν ιδίης αβουλίης.

~Δημόκριτος~

6. NARDY BERNAL said:

Hmmm... Maybe it's funny, but I understand nothing (not about soccer players and less about greek).

Thanks Panselinos for the help with the translation of Emma's phrase. A friend of mine told me that those words are said by her many times and not only on Celtica, maybe it's a kind of mantra she repeats ... I don't know, I think she likes strange and old languages like latin & this aeolic greek.

Now ... can you help me with my song ... please?

Nardy

panselinos said:

It's not the subject that's funny. It's the way it's formed.

Hm, I wouldn't define ancient Greek and Latin as "strange" languages. They are just... classics.
    And I'm also not sure a poem by Sappho could serve well as a mantra. Emma should try something in Sanskrit.
    As for the song "Celtica"... If I were her, I'd have used a poem by Taliesin instead.

Anyway... "Judas" by Perris.

I walked secretly upon the corners of your lips
    I saw you again to laugh with your enemy
    The enemy was me, right there in front of you
    I said "I live for you", you told me "Sleep"

Deep was the dream, the love was big
    I was for you, or maybe it was someone else
    I walked secretly upon the corners of your lips
    I am Judas, I kiss you, but I wish you good

Maraki mou, there's more. lol Well, that's something that cheers me up.
    God, I haven't touched any ancient Greek texts in.. forever! I used to love reading them every now and then. :/

8. NARDY BERNAL said:

Talking

Oh! Now I get it, hmmm the subject, ok, I trust that’s funny.

Anyway I admire you for being able to understand ancient Greek, as for me once I tried to read ancient Spanish and …what a headache, It was greek to me , It’s too close to the “classical” Latin

As far as for Emma, maybe she feels closer to Sapho because they are both women calling to a godess and Taliesin was a man who called to the nature (as most celtic ppl did). I really cannot say

About Judas, I already liked it when I listened to it and now that I understand the lyrics, I like it even more.

Muchisimas gracias, thank you very much, Efharistó para poli,

Nardy