Learning Serbian /Croatian/Bosnian

Thread: Learning Serbian /Croatian/Bosnian

Tags: None
  1. ina said:

Quote Originally Posted by pthalo View Post
    šta znači "zmurila" ?

eh, googled some more and one dictionary said it mean "to squint". but does it have some slang meaning? "jesi li mene zmurila, a?" is the sentence i'm trying to understand.
    Ćao!
    žmurila is the past tense from žmuriti, for female.
    žmuriti means to close your eyes wittingly and not to see. I don't know the verb in English, something like squint, but when you squint you can see something a little, they are partly shut (to squint into / against the sun * She was squinting through the keyhole) or to look in a different direction from the other eye.

to squint - žmirkati

Example:
    Žmurila je i brojala do deset dok sam se ja krio.
    She closed her eyes and counted till ten while I was hiding.

I don't know what exactly could that sentence means ( Have you tried to SOMETHING me? SOMETHING - to deceive maybe, or to imagine, something connected with closed eyes, but I really don't understand in which context is that said. )

pthalo said:

Thanks for the help. I don't really understand the context either. I have a friend from Belgrade who sends me sms and I don't usually understand what she's trying to say, or I understand but I'm missing one main word (žmuriti in this case).
    I'm stronger than the tricks played on your heart. We look at them together then we take 'em apart. Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two.

3. dok77 said:

šta znači "zmurila" ?
    "jesi li mene zmurila, a?" is the sentence i'm trying to understand.
    I'm native serbian speaker and I don't have slightest idea what she/he meant.It's not even the slang, it simply doesn't make any sense no matter in which context is said.It's 100% meaningless.
    It could be some kind of typing error though.

Ina explained what the word žmurila means,but you can't put it in that sentance.Maybe: "jesi li zbog mene žmurila"-"did you close your eyes because of me".

pthalo said:

da, možda je nešto pogrešno tipkala. Znam da nije bilo odgovor na nešto što sam rekla, jer nismo se tipkali nekoliko dana... Samo nju ne razumem, i na forumu i preko sms. Razumem ono što ostalima kažu bez probleme. I ona zna da učim skoro 9 meseca... mogla bi da malo jednostavnije govori sa mnom... No, drago mi je što ne samo ja ne razumem nju.
    I'm stronger than the tricks played on your heart. We look at them together then we take 'em apart. Adding up the total of a love that's true, multiply life by the power of two.

5. dok77 said:

Thumbs up

da, možda je nešto pogrešno tipkala. Znam da nije bilo odgovor na nešto što sam rekla, jer nismo se tipkali nekoliko dana... Samo nju ne razumem, i na forumu i preko sms. Razumem ono što ostalima kažu bez probleme. I ona zna da učim skoro 9 meseca... mogla bi da malo jednostavnije govori sa mnom... No, drago mi je što ne samo ja ne razumem nju.
    Vrlo dobro za nekoga ko uči srpski samo devet meseci.
    Još samo malo padeže da savladaš i biće perfektno

Nene said:

Pthalo,

I have to agree with dok77, you are really good for someone learning for 9 months! Fair play to you missus! Ja učim 6 meseca, ali samo razumem nešto... ne znam da govorim mnogo.

This thread has helped me a lot though!

Best of luck!!!
    Mivel mindig az okos enged, már rég a hülyék uralkodnak...

7. dok77 said:

Quote Originally Posted by Nene View Post
    Pthalo,

I have to agree with dok77, you are really good for someone learning for 9 months! Fair play to you missus! Ja učim 6 meseca, ali samo razumem nešto... ne znam da govorim mnogo.

This thread has helped me a lot though!

Best of luck!!!
    Ima vremena,samo opušteno

P.S.I must admit that I'm impressed with the fact that you are simultaneosly learning several languages.Just saw your post in spanish learning topic.
    You actually speak five languages and learning 5 more ?!!!!!!
    That's quite a talent you have

Ilhana said:

Pozdrav svima !!!

Jedan upis i na ovaj thread..cudno kako mı nıje ranıje naumpalo heh..uglavnom sam ısla na strane jezıke a zaboravıla sam svoj maternjı )
    U svakom slucaju bıt ce mı drago ako mogu nekome pomocı..
    Trenutno se usavrsavam u turskom jer me sudbına vamo bacıla u Tursku..a ınace poznajem engleskı, francuskı, arapskı,perzıjskı, spanskı...malo njemackog ı ıtalıjanskog...moglo bı se recı da sam zaljubljenık jezıka ( svıh vrsta )

Pa eto...feel free to ask )
    Nous sommes ce que nous ne voyons pas..En manquant tous les reves de jour...

9. PrincessMarina said:

hi guys...
    i'd like to know if somebody could teach me the serbian grammar?

10. razvodnik said:

Default necu dugo of ceca

they translated the words of "necu dugo"
    but didn't translate the title "necu dugo".

what's the meaning of "necu dugo" and some meaning of "ceca"?

thanks.

11. dok77 said:

Quote Originally Posted by razvodnik View Post
    they translated the words of "necu dugo"
    but didn't translate the title "necu dugo".

what's the meaning of "necu dugo" and some meaning of "ceca"?

thanks.
    necu dugo- I won't be long

ceca is the name of the singer in this case,and common nickname for the female name of Svetlana.

12. dok77 said:

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessMarina View Post
    hi guys...
    Well,grammar is not something you can learn from forum.We can give you some clarifications if needed,but you will have to learn basics.Try to grab some book or learning software or find internet site with serbian grammar.

Nene said:

Quote Originally Posted by dok77 View Post
    Ima vremena,samo opušteno

P.S.I must admit that I'm impressed with the fact that you are simultaneosly learning several languages.Just saw your post in spanish learning topic.
    You actually speak five languages and learning 5 more ?!!!!!!
    That's quite a talent you have
    Thank you my friend!

I'd rather say it is more likely a hobby than a talent...
    Unfortunately, as all the hobbies require a lot of time, the language study is not an exception. Lol!
    It's definitely not something you can afford while having a full time job or small kids for instance.

14. PrincessMarina said:

@dok77: do you know some good sites or some good books?

15. razvodnik said:

thanks dok77

16. dok77 said:

@dok77: do you know some good sites or some good books?
    Unfortunatly ,no.

Pthalo and Nene are learning successfully so you should ask them for learning material.
    Obviously,as native Serb I didn't have any need to search for those.
    Sorry.

17. PrincessMarina said:

what kind of material is that??

Nene said:

No panic guys! I'll tell you how I started...
    It depends where you live and whether you can get proper grammar books. If you can't then you simply start learning basic vocabulary and phrases on this forum (start from page one). Once you have some vocabulary, you are ready to learn the grammar...

You can always ask a question or simply just share your progress on this forum.

Best of luck!!!

MayGoLoco said:

hi guys...
    Hi Marina! Here are some links:
    http://www.funkyserbian.com/
    http://www.serbianschool.com/
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...=learn+serbian

Maybe you could go to a bookstore in your city and search through the language section, maybe they have some grammar books there?

Cao, Maja

20. PrincessMarina said:

thanks for answering my question.
    and also thanks for the links