Learning Serbian /Croatian/Bosnian

Thread: Learning Serbian /Croatian/Bosnian

Tags: None

tedinkyyy said:

@ Spring : Per day but the day in my location is at totally different time from that of the forum That's why I don't consider yesterday evening for today morning...and that confused me, i don't remeber how many thanks did I yesterday considered as"today"..uff don't mind...I'll wait till "tomorrow" lol

@ D&M: I know some facts of the Serbian and Croatian(and even Bosnian and Montenegrian history too) cause they've been connected in some or another period with the Bulgarian one...and I remeber there existed serbian and croatian tribes apart in the Middle ages...that means they've appeared as different nations but maybe cuz they've been in one country for so much time(I still remeber that "kingdom of serbians,croatians and slovenes" that we mentioned last year lol) and that's why they seem too equal to other nations(like our) who haven't been so close to them in the last years.

And I think it's normal they all strive to invent their own language.It's probably offensive if sb still calls u"serbian" if ur in fact Montengrian or Bosnian.At least I'd feel offended.Every nation needs to feel unique
    Eins.. hier kommt die Sonne
    Zwei..hier kommt die Sonne
    Drei.. hier kommt die Sonne
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.

Spring said:

Thanks D&M! I suppose I have to agree with the linguist

As for new official Croatian.. it's a fact that some Croatian words have been changed... probably in attempt to remove foreign words as much as possible (and it's a well known fact that we all have many German, Turkish etc. words in our languages)

Proširnica, daljinac i pretjecajnik - najbolje nove hrvatske riječi
    »Nije nam cilj promjena svih tuđica, već onih koje su neprihvatljive u hrvatskome jeziku«
    Skovano 500 novih riječi

PS
    tedinky, you can call me whatever.. I don't mind! I am Yugoslavian and it doesn't mean anything to me - who is what.. it's the way I was raised and it will never change

3. ina said:

Drugi su krivi! Others are responsible

If you look the history of Balkan, you'll see that many borders were lined exactly there - border between East and West Roman Empire, Orthodox and Catholic churches, Cyrillic and Latin alphabet, Byzantine and Rome fingers in our small land, then we were under The Ottoman Empire, the North under Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.... we were together in a mutual wish to get rid of them! That's why we had united. Then we wanted the life on our own, for the fist time, and we got it, or we believe we've got it. We are small fishes compared to others. Now we'll be again together in a collective modern "empire" called EU and no borders anymore Can you believe it!!!

Dangerous & Moving said:

Yes, true, I've heard about it but it rarely works out, people just can get used to about some stupid inventions. Even though some words are accepted.
    As for these 3 Proširnica, daljinac and pretjecajnik - never heard them

it's true we have many foreign words but I don't consider this inventing very smart xD xD
    ''Glupost je sama u sebe zaljubljena i njeno je samoljublje bezgranično.''

''Siamo niente senza fantasie''

''Наверное мне место на луне, но страшно оставаться в темноте''

tedinkyyy said:

Recently I wonder for one thing: which of these 3 nations (excepting Croatians who use only the Latin for sure) use the Cyrillic?? Serbians seem to have almost given it up!
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.

Spring said:

Here if anyone is interested in a longish discussion on the subject.. click

I have to admit that I only watch Croatian TV and for that reason sometimes find myself thinking - uhum.. what is the Serbian word for it? lol

Croatian = Latin sript
    Bosnian = officially - Latin
    Serbian = Cyrillic

The Cyrillic alphabet or rather Cyrillic script[1] (pronounced /sɨˈrɪlɪk/; also called azbuka, from the old names of the first two letters of almost all its variants) is a writing system, shared by six Slavic national languages (Bulgarian, Russian, Belarusian, Serbian, Macedonian, and Ukrainian) as well as non-Slavic (Moldovan, Kazakh, Uzbek, Kyrgyz, Tajik and Tuvan of the former Soviet Union and Mongolian). It is also used by many other languages of Eastern Europe, the Caucasus, Siberia and other languages in the past. Not all letters in the Cyrillic alphabet are used in every language that is written with it.
    And yep... I also quit on it and reading it sometimes gives me a headache! Though.. in school, we used to write - one day Cyrillic , one day Latin.. then in highschool - it only applied to papers in Serbian language class where we had to write - one time in Cyrillic, one in Latin and even then Cyrillic was killing me because .. we studied English, German and Latin and sticking to Cyrillic seemed kinda meaningless

7. ina said:

Since we don't create our words in general, but just take foreign words and expressions, magazines and adds are full of English, foreign names are written in original more and more, everything is in Eng on my computer, so we use more "alfabet" then "azbuka". I say "daunlouduj to" "Šatdaounuj komjuter", potrči program ....

But I adore Cyrillic and I vote for it. My handwriting is very different while writing in Cyrillic, compared to Latin.
    Last edited by ina; 06-14-2009 at 07:11 AM.

tedinkyyy said:

I see everything in Serbian written in Latin... we have Pink+ here in Dimitrovgrad (oddly enough cuz we're quite in Eastern Bulgaria) and everything is in Latin..only subtitles for movies are in Cyrillic.I remember I even was so surprised when I saw something in srb written in Cyrillic lol
    I think Serbians should stay with the Cyrillic that defies them from the other 3 but of course, just my opinion
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.

Dangerous & Moving said:

Yes, I also wanted to ask about it, I always thought Serbs use mostly cyrillic but then I noticed that latin alphabet is also often used. I'd also vote for cyrillic if I was Serbian, it makes it more unique. And as Ina says my handwriting is more beautiful when I write cyrillic and it's totally different.

Edit: E, da Spring, hvala za link foruma, jako zanimljivo!

tedinkyyy said:

Serbians are the only Cyrillic-using-slavs who really strive to deny it Russians,Belorussians,Ukrainians,Bulgarians,Macedo nians, we always use the Cyrillic everywhere - on tv,on the computer...my windows is in blg and it's written in cyrillic even in blg forums is banned using latin...if sb writes in latin,his post is deleted. I've seen some Serbian nationalists at youtube(grrr hate all kinda nationalistic channels really) who write only in cyrillic and as a whole- only they do it now.
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.

Dangerous & Moving said:

Found on that forum

Tastatura - bas zgodna rec. Ne mogu da zamislim kako bi zvucalo reci 'kibord'.
    in croatian we use word 'tipkovnica' which is totally normal and common, and I must say I like it too

12. ina said:

Tipkovnica....hahaa... how sweet! Tipka we use for piano - tipka/dirka na klaviru. For a keyboard - taster, so it's tastatura, but a verb doesn't follow it, I guess ("šta tipkaš?" /"šta kuckaš?" )

Spring said:

OMG ina!!! "Šatdaounuj komjuter", potrči program .... hahahaha

I have problems when talking about computer stuff in Serbian. .I really can not find the right words for e.g. "post" (postovati? postuj? argh!)

As for us "striving to deny Cyrillic" .. I don't think that's the case.. It's just - like I said - everybody uses Latin and it's just easier ... "kud svi tu i mali Mujo" (when in Rome.. )

and imagine - шатдаунуј компјутер! хахахаха

It would be quite difficult for me to use Cyrillic while everything on my PC is in English .. I even find it annoying when I have to use Serbian Latin keyboard.. One day I will entirely stop using š đ ž č ć

tedinkyyy said:

I'm surprised u actually don't use some Serbian words for that ones! We say "teglja" for download ,"zatvarjam" for shut-down ,"kachvam" for upload... I can't imagine myself saying" downloadiram" haha =)

шатдаунуј компјутер - I like it!
    but to be honest when see something in srb written in Cyrillic I feel like I'm reading in mcd lol
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.

miki444 said:

download = skidati
    upload = postaviti
    shutdown = ugasiti

16. ina said:

xaxaxaaaa!
    That "shut down" was joking, of course but i often joke like that. For example, I tell my younger sister "šatdounuj", not "ugasi" computer because she would just press the big power button before shutting down the comp. Or sometimes you're simply lazy to translate, especially when you give directions to someone how to do something, so you say how it's written (what would say Vuk Karadžić? )

So it should be maybe: shut down = zatvori

Adrienne said:

By the Constitution of Republic of Serbia, it is said:

Language and script
    Article 10
    Serbian language and Cyrillic script shall be in official use in the Republic of Serbia.

so Cyrillic is official.. The thing that we do not use it that often is mostly because of the emerge of computers etc, at least that's my opinion
    Aconteceu
    Estava escrito assim
    Eu em vocę, vocę em mim
    Eu te encontrei
    Meu grande amor..

Da li cu ikad moci da sklopim oci a da tebe nema..?

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam!
    בועז, תתחתן איתי!

Spring said:

Ja kompjuter gasim i palim iako bih trebala da ga ukljucujem i iskljucujem
    And, when it comes to all Internet related stuff, I'm so used to speaking with people in English that it's really hard to do it in Serbian ..
    Example:
    - molim te nemoj da postujes linkove da te ne bih banovala (?!?!?!)
    - da bi postavio slike mozes da ih atacujes ili aplodujes na neki drugi sajt

and so on..

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous & Moving View Post
    Edit: E, da Spring, hvala za link foruma, jako zanimljivo!
    Moram da priznam da mi se ovaj post izuzetno dopao: click (narocito zbog te jedne reci koju je doticni uspeo da identifikuje kao izvorno srpsku)

19. ina said:

Using Cyrillic is cleaver, when you think. For example in this case: we write foreign names how they are said, and in better books you can find them in original, in the brackets or at the end of the page/book. When you write in Cyrillic, you have to translate the names, so to say.
    I remember reading one German book in Croatian, and it was "The Castle of *********" some extra long word of about 15 letters which I couldn't read in the title. All the names in the book were in German and I don't know German, so I was reading the book without knowing the names of characters and places I tried to put them on the paper and to have some idea who is who. And the names were from the Middle age, long, glamorous, few words linked into one.

I've been learning Spanish and on one CD, in an audio lesson, a Spanish man said: Albert Camus, like we would read it, instead of *Alber Kami*, as French would say. He had no idea that was a famous French writer, so he read it like in Spanish: Albert Kamus!

tedinkyyy said:

Quote Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post
    By the Constitution of Republic of Serbia, it is said:

Language and script
    Article 10
    Serbian language and Cyrillic script shall be in official use in the Republic of Serbia.

so Cyrillic is official.. The thing that we do not use it that often is mostly because of the emerge of computers etc, at least that's my opinion
    hey when speaking for official(ness) =) are ur newspapers,magazines and books at least ,in Cyrillic? And are all ur TV programs in Latin like Pink+? I'm just curious=)
    Vier
    Fünf
    Sechs
    Sieben..
    Acht..
    Neun.....
    Ich hab' keine Lust.