From Hebrew to U.S. Standard English*

Thread: From Hebrew to U.S. Standard English*

Tags: None
  1. Shegofox5 said:

Default From Hebrew to U.S. Standard English*

Okay,so this song is called "Levater" by Yael Naim.Thanks! ♥♥♥

2. atthis said:

The title "Levater" is somewhat ambiguous. In its context "levater lecha", it can mean "to concede to you" or "to let go of/to waive something having to do with you".

How much anger have I retained especially for you?
    You are dear to me
    How much bitterness have I gathered especially for you?
    You are dearest to me
    I wanted to know how to concede to you
    How many thoughts, seperation, hate?
    In the middle of all this, love grows for us
    How many stories, over the years?
    If only I had known how transparent I was to you
    I wanted to know how to lie to you
    How many times have you forgiven me?
    Did I forgive you too?
    It was the clear words that escaped me as mumbles
    I wanted to know how to talk with you
    I wanted to know how to tell you
    I wanted to know how to be for you
    I wanted to know how to move you
    I wanted to know how to love you

3. Shegofox5 said:

Okay,is that all???Not being ungrateful,I think I can work with what I'v got!Thanks ♥♥♥

4. atthis said:

What do you mean? These are all the lyrics. The chorus lines "I wanted to know how to concede to you", "I wanted to know how to lie to you", and "I wanted to know how to talk with you" are repeated four times each. What else do you need?

5. ellyali said:

Possible for lyrics

6. 1inamillion1 said:

Quote Originally Posted by ellyali View Post
    Possible for lyrics
    Hebrew transliterated lyrics?

7. ellyali said:

Quote Originally Posted by 1inamillion1 View Post
    Hebrew transliterated lyrics?

Sure!
    Will be sooooooo glad....

8. 1inamillion1 said:

כמה כעסים שמרתי במיוחד לך?
    Kama ke'esim shamarti bimyuchad lecha?
    אתה יקר לי
    Ata yakar li
    כמה מרירות אספתי במיוחד בשבילך?
    Kama merirut asafti bimyuchad bishvilcha?
    אתה הכי יקר לי
    Ata hachi yakar li
    רציתי לדעת לוותר לך
    Ratziti lada'at levater lecha

כמה מחשבות פרידה שנאה
    Kama machshavot prida sinaa
    בתוך כל זה צומחת לנו אהבה?
    Betoch kol zeh tzomachat lanu ahava?
    כמה סיפורים לאורך השנים
    Kama sipurim le'orecha hashanim
    אם רק ידעתי כמה אני שקופה לך?
    Im rak yadaati kama ani shkufa lecha?
    רציתי לדעת לשקר לך
    Ratziti lada'at leshaker lecha

כמה פעמים סלחת לי?
    Kama pe'amim salachta li?
    האם אני סלחתי גם לך?
    Ha'im ani salachti gam lecha?
    דווקא המילים הבהירות
    Davka hamilim habehirot
    החליקו לי ממני מתחת לשפה
    Hechliku li mimeni mitachat lasafa
    רציתי לדעת לדבר אתך
    Ratziti lada'at ledaber itcha
    רציתי לדעת לספר לך
    Ratziti lada'at lesaper lecha
    רציתי לדעת להיות לך
    Ratziti lada'at lihyot lecha
    רציתי לדעת לרגש אותך
    Ratziti lada'at laregesh otcha
    רציתי לדעת לאהוב אותך
    Ratziti lada'at le'ehov otcha

9. ellyali said:

Oh my gosh... you are such a sweeheart... Thank you thank you.. thank you.... <3 <3 <3
    Than.. k... y.. o...u.................

10. 1inamillion1 said:

Haha absolutely no problem at all! It's too easy for me to do something like that :-)
    El, you should learn to read Hebrew! You can already read Arabic...and Hebrew is much easier (and quite similar...doesn't seem like it at first but they have a similar system)!

11. ellyali said:

ah yes i am learning it bit by bit actually...
    the only thing that i am trying to catch is this modern hebrew sounds and the classical ones.. oh gosh you have no idea.. how much I AM CRAZY FOR SEMITIC LANGUAGES and i am trying to learn how to write it down , with my handwriting it could only look like boxes *help!
    i will i will!! in the meantime if you have any resources for beginners for hebrew please share with me!

BTW, what other languages you know ? I am so interested.

12. 1inamillion1 said:

Haha yeah...the Modern Hebrew sounds are reeeeally different in some ways...especially Yemeni Hebrew is really different, but I wouldn't advise you to concentrate on that because people would never understand you! :-p
    The Hebrew script is hard to learn to write but I'm confident that you can do it!!! I'd love to teach you somehow...but over the internet it's not too easy :-(

I also loooove semitic languages! We have that in common! I speak English, Hebrew and a little bit of Arabic (only Lebanese :-()...little bit of Spanish, little bit of Russian and that's kind of it right now! How about you? Are you Singaporean? :-D

13. ellyali said:

So if i need to learn hebrew what would be the best to stick to?
    Anyway that Moshe peretz is realllllyy WUUUUUU yes that's the only expression I can give
    what that little bit LITTLE BIT?!! thats amazing you got there!
    Me erm.. I speak English, Malay, messed up Arabic ( cause I mix up all the dialects) , and juste little Francais but it doesnt count. I am useless in it.
    Yes yes 1inamillion1 I am Singaporean
    Aha you are from Australia..!! neighbours aren't we?
    you know maybe if you could recommend me which hebrew type to look into i will kinda google it and learn then
    thats how i learn arabic too
    how's it there in australia? heard there are some floods...
    PS: do you reallly speak Hebrew

14. 1inamillion1 said:

Stick to Modern Hebrew! :-)
    Haha I do the same with Arabic, especially when I meet new Khaliji friends I start using Khaliji words by mistake and then my Lebanese friends laugh at me :-\ how long have you been learning Arabic? Is Chinese your first language or English? I love the Singaporean accent in English! It's the best! And yeah we are neighbours...I went to Singapore many many years ago! So cool! haha
    The floods here are terrible...the flooded area is muuuuuuch bigger than France+Germany together...ridiculous...
    If you stick to Modern Hebrew you could try this site...there are probably better ones but this could be ok
    http://www.akhlah.com/aleph_bet/aleph-bet.php
    Just stick to learning the "block" letters for now...that's how things are typed...then after you master that you can learn the "script"...you will probably NEVER need to learn the Rashi (I can hardly read it) unless you want to read religious things and the numbers are also not too important! :-)

And haha yes I do speak Hebrew...although it's my second language (English is my first)!

15. ellyali said:

Ahh great I will check it out for sure, when I am at home later. Yeah! Thank you!
    Our first language is English followed by the mother tongue like we called it. Most of the singaporeans are bilingual. You will be surprised if you can catch some quadralingual people. amazing!! i wish to be one too!
    I am sorry babe for the situation there , in the news it looks pretty bad. Some of our locals who resides there actually reported that basic necessities are selling like mad... almost to nil..
    Many Singaporeans flee to Australia for studies too why not ? it is a great place i am sure.. FYI: They dont wish to come back
    Been learning arabic on and off for about 6 months self studied. Phew! no kidding it was hard.
    but indeed pleasurable.. do you really think hebrew is easier than arabic
    Do most other Australians speak Hebrew too?

16. 1inamillion1 said:

Yeah that's right, all the Singaporeans here speak perfect English :-D
    Thank god the situation is slowly slowly improving...and it's far from me so I'm totally untouched by it!
    We do have loooooooots of Singaporeans you're right! You should come too! haha
    I think Hebrew is a lottt easier than Arabic...Modern Hebrew has been influenced a lot by European languages like English so I think some of the things are more familiar to an English speaker...plus the sounds are easier...plus there's only one dialect! :-p
    No...basically nobody speaks Hebrew...only really some Jewish people like me! :-p