SANTANA vs. SANTANA

Thread: SANTANA vs. SANTANA

Tags: None
  1. lagirl4music said:

Default SANTANA vs. SANTANA

So if you're not aware already, Carlos Santana has a son : Salvador Santana who is also doing music ( amazing music might i add). This summer they're going to be on tour together!! Salvador's music is totally different than Carlos' but yet they totally seem right to tour together. So this is my question , what music do you like better?? Carlos' or Salvador's ? Both awesome, both totally original, AND both together this summer on tour!! If you like both and want to see them live, you can see the complete tour dates on salvadorsantana.com blah blah. But anyway let me know!!

<33 Kel

oh PS. salvador JUST added new music right now on myspace, 2 new songs!! Soooo goood.

jandros said:

Thanks, I didn't know! I'm an old Carlos fan from way back, and I know his brother Gorge is cool (the album "Brothers"). But I didn't know about the son. I'll check back later, after I discover what I've been missing
  3. aksios said:

po po po, Carlos is much much more better of course!

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by aksios View Post
    ... Carlos is much much more better of course!
    Yes!

Ok lagirl, I've looked at some of Salvador's stuff. I think he has promise! Maybe he just needs, mostly, to try to focus and build his own personal style and then develop confidence with it. I think also, daddy Carlos has been so popular for so long (not commercially successful all the time, but popular) because he didn't always think "Top 40". He allowed himself to experiment and grow out of the box, far beyond the typical rock/blues/jazz thing. If Salvador can do that, if he can find his niche, then I think he can be successful. And I hope he will, cuz I know it'll make his dad really proud!

Now here's a video that I just want to share, and only because Zahra2008 found it! ... I think this is Carlos in a very easy confidence about who he is, and it's in a "street music" scene which always adds a nice element. Of course the song was probably recorded in a studio, but the "street" really brings it home .......

Santana ft. Rob Thomas - Smooth

Also: At the end of this year, Carlos will release a new album with Marcelo Vieira, titled "Marcelo Vieira's Acoustic Sounds"? ... sounds interesting ... I wonder if hijo Salvador will be featured anywhere in that album.....

Edit ... I just watched the video again .... Carlos is clean, Carlos is Mr. Cool, Carlos is da MAN!! =)))

lollipop said:

Quote Originally Posted by jandros View Post
    Edit ... I just watched the video again .... Carlos is clean, Carlos is Mr. Cool, Carlos is da MAN!! =)))
    I bought even "Supernatural" because of that song...
    But my reasons was (I misquote intentionally now): Rob is clean, Rob is Mr. Cool, Rob is da MAN!!

On serious note: this song is one of those, that come with very special memories on that release year, and will be in my top 100 forever.

Oh, btw, Rob Thomas wrote it actually for his wife. Adorable, isn't it

---

Zahra2008 said:

Yes!

Now here's a video that I just want to share, and only because Zahra2008 found it! ... I think this is Carlos in a very easy confidence about who he is, and it's in a "street music" scene which always adds a nice element. Of course the song was probably recorded in a studio, but the "street" really brings it home

yes i did it... coz i really like it....
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop View Post

Oh, btw, Rob Thomas wrote it actually for his wife. Adorable, isn't it

---
    really lollipop... i didnt know it.... ooohhh u r right... he is so adorable...
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by Zahra2008 View Post
    really lollipop... i didnt know it.... ooohhh u r right... he is so adorable...
    Yeah ok girls, I just like the music ...... well, maybe I like some of the dancing too ...

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by lollipop View Post
    ...this song is one of those, that come with very special memories on that release year, and will be in my top 100 forever...
    That's so nice!!!
  10. aksios said:

First of all Rob Thomas has a beautiful voice, I like him, He has the voice, the success of this song is not because of Santana, already Rob has proved himself with disease song!
    I like Santana, he looks confident but at the same time I think that he does not mind what the others think about his music, he knows he is not the best, but he looks confident... Kinda weird

jandros said:

From my own view or preferences, I think there are best guitarists of different genre, and Santana developed a rather unique style. He drew from Tito Puente, even saxophonist John Coltrane, native African drummers, and a lot of other masters of various styles, and then he made something that can be recognized as purely Santana.

But in the sense of pure talent, and only from my limited knowledge, I might say that Jim Hendrix or Alvin Lee (the original lead for Ten Years After) are better guitarists than Santana. But it's been said that the Turkish guitarist Erkin Koray could equal Hendrix, but I don't know for myself, I've only heard a little bit of his music. I also think that Alvin Lee can (or could) match Hendrix, because I've heard a lot of his studio recordings and also his live performances. Lee's live-recorded performance of "I Can't Keep From Cryin' Sometimes" is a show-piece for his pure and extremely varied talent. He can even play a very nice classical acoustic guitar.

B.B. King ... a lot of people call him one of the best Blues guitarists in the world, and I really like him. But in an interview about 3 years ago, he said that he could not play the guitar all that well ...!!... he said that in the beginning, he only mastered about 3 chords or something like that. So maybe it's just his personal creativity, emotion, the feeling that he can impart with his guitar. But that kind of defines the genre of Mississippi/Delta Blues ... to be able to play with very deep expression. Delta Blues is apparently a very very exclusive 'club' or genre.

But anyway, I also have some respect for Santana's overall career, which I think goes beyond his musical abilities ... and also the fact that he was married to the same woman for almost 35 years, which is a little rare in our time, at least in the western world among celebrities and musical performers ... so that usually impresses me quite a bit ... but his reputation also allowed him (as it also did many others) to perform charity benefits for things that he really cared about, so that his talent and reputation were used for much more than pleasure. So, all of that is part of my personal feeling about Santana's success and achievements.

I would also credit Carlos with the simple succcess of keeping the 'name alive for 40 years, and for taking the 'opposite' direction sometimes, against the desires of some of his managers or fellow musicians. But in doing so, he made the 'Santana sound' more that it would have been. As for writing, I like to use the song 'Guajira' as an example of his collaborative strength ... leadership? ... he didn't write Guajira, but the studio recording has 6 or 7 distinct rhythm changes, and the song itself has a certain magic that is purely Carlos Santana. I would even call it a 'signature song'.

But the rest of it is just my preference for certain music, and I absolutely love the 'Afro-Cuban' style that the Mexican-born Santana melded into something of his own, drawing from several different influences and talents, from other great guitarists and musicians, including many that he knew and worked with personally for many many years. I enjoy the 'togetherness' and comraderie of musicians and the blending of styles and talents, as much as the individual performer. So maybe, in my mind, 'blending' is as much a talent of Carlos as his skill with the guitar.

........!! ..... why do I always write essays, entire books, about everything??? ... ... please forgive me for running on and on, seems like I do it all the time and I don't know if anyone even cares. But I looooove Santana =)
  12. Ultimate DJ said:

Yes!

Ok lagirl, I've looked at some of Salvador's stuff. I think he has promise! Maybe he just needs, mostly, to try to focus and build his own personal style and then develop confidence with it. I think also, daddy Carlos has been so popular for so long (not commercially successful all the time, but popular) because he didn't always think "Top 40". He allowed himself to experiment and grow out of the box, far beyond the typical rock/blues/jazz thing. If Salvador can do that, if he can find his niche, then I think he can be successful. And I hope he will, cuz I know it'll make his dad really proud!

Now here's a video that I just want to share, and only because Zahra2008 found it! ... I think this is Carlos in a very easy confidence about who he is, and it's in a "street music" scene which always adds a nice element. Of course the song was probably recorded in a studio, but the "street" really brings it home .......

Santana ft. Rob Thomas - Smooth

Also: At the end of this year, Carlos will release a new album with Marcelo Vieira, titled "Marcelo Vieira's Acoustic Sounds"? ... sounds interesting ... I wonder if hijo Salvador will be featured anywhere in that album.....

Edit ... I just watched the video again .... Carlos is clean, Carlos is Mr. Cool, Carlos is da MAN!!

Totally agree with about Salvador. He's gotta get out of the box. There are so many like him at the moment...although his name will help a bunch!

Sorry guys but in My opinion Into The Night with Chad Kroger is the best!
    I also lyk it when he sticks with his Latin Origins.

pura vdia
    el ceh

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate DJ View Post
    ...Sorry guys but in My opinion Into The Night with Chad Kroger is the best!
    I also lyk it when he sticks with his Latin Origins....
    It's a good song!

Have you heard the "Brothers" album, Carlos and Gorge? ..... how do you spell "Jorje"??? ... I think Salvador's cousin (el hijo de Jorge?) also plays on that album. Morning in Marin is very nice, gentle, a quiet and peaceful village waking up to a soft summer morning ... a baby laughing in the background .... tan suave como satén.

I can't find many videos online, but maybe I'll make some, when I have some free time.
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...
  14. Ultimate DJ said:

It's a good song!

Have you heard the "Brothers" album, Carlos and Gorge? ..... how do you spell "Jorje"??? ... I think Salvador's cousin (el hijo de Jorge?) also plays on that album. Morning in Marin is very nice, gentle, a quiet and peaceful village waking up to a soft summer morning ... a baby laughing in the background .... tan suave como satén.

I can't find many videos online, but maybe I'll make some, when I have some free time.
    I know its a good song! =]
    actually I havent check it out! I sounds really cool will though. Jorje? uh i have no idea! its either Jorge or George right? *confused*
    ps you seem to have plenty of free time now! with all the posting your doing ;D :P lol

pura vida
    the che

jandros said:

...actually I'm doing about 4 things at one time ..... cruise photos!!! ... and some work stuff too ..... and I only have 2 hands and one keyboard and about half of a brain

I'll check the album cover for Jorge/George/whatever, but it's probably Jorge.
    Having problems with vertigo for 2-3 days ... it's temporary, a mild case and it will pass, but for now I can't stay on the computer as much as normal :-/ ...
  16. Ultimate DJ said:

...actually I'm doing about 4 things at one time ..... cruise photos!!! ... and some work stuff too ..... and I only have 2 hands and one keyboard and about half of a brain

I'll check the album cover for Jorge/George/whatever, but it's probably Jorge.
    Half a brain???? Damn your lucky!!!! I wish I had that much! lmao and only two hands? hmmm mayb its not normal to have three.......:?

pura vida
    el che

Ultimate_Worrier said:

Cliche Guevera
  18. Ultimate DJ said:

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate_Worrier View Post
    Cliche Guevera
    What the heck?

pura vida
    el che
    Last edited by Ultimate DJ; 09-28-2008 at 11:31 AM.

jandros said:

Hey DJ, whasss up?
    I checked the Brothers CD, and it's Jorge and nephew Carlos Hernandez. Jorge's son? It doesn't say.

Viva Santana, todos de ellos!
  20. Ultimate DJ said:

Hey DJ, whasss up?
    I checked the Brothers CD, and it's Jorge and nephew Carlos Hernandez. Jorge's son? It doesn't say.

Viva Santana, todos de ellos!

Yeah, I know, I couldn't find anything either. He was probably too young in 94.
    But thanks for the update!

You know what I was thinking? It was be so cool if Carlos hooked up with Enigma and did a Colab with him! It be mega awesome!

pura vida
    el che