Santana: Foo Foo? Just 1 line!

Thread: Santana: Foo Foo? Just 1 line!

Tags: None

jandros said:

Default Santana: Foo Foo? Just 1 line!

In Santana's song Foo Foo, there aren't many words, but I've been trying to understand 1 or 2 phrases for 2 years! I've asked 3-4 Mexican friends & linguists, but no luck. I mean that nobody can make out what they're saying. So does anyone know:

1. What's the line that's repeated at 2:28, 3:32 and 3:40? ...?...?..?.. mano arriba??

2. One word, starting at 4:37? "a su ..?..." and then "a su ..?.. ese"?

This song is just a little bit impolite, or maybe just a little "bold" ... so if the lyrics in question are not polite, then maybe I don't want to know!

If no one knows or can't place the song, maybe this link will help? (I had a better one but I can't find it now):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ib9KGYpTGw

Also this video is soooooo great, I just want to share it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt21c...eature=related

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by jandros; 07-12-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: fix errors

citlalli said:

Hola Jandros!

I've watched it and this is it:

1. Todo el mundo con la(s) mano(s) arriba (everyone put your hands up)... the first time they also say "escuchame vos, con la(s) mano(s) arriba" (listen to me, with your hands up {in the air})

2. I'm not very sure, it's quite difficult; I reckon something like "a sudar" (let's sweat) or maybe "ázucar" (but this may be only coz I've got Celia Cruz in my head )

Anyway, hope it helps. Did my best
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

jandros said:

Thank you!!! On the CD, with headphones, it sounds more like ázucar, something with a "c" ... ázucar, is it the same as azúcar, sugar? ... it sounds reasonable for that song.

Did you also watch some of the "Maria" video? Different subject but I love classical Spanish guitar, and for me it was amazing to watch his fingers work.

Again thank you soooooo much!

citlalli said:

You're welcome

Yes, sugar=azúcar (sorry, I put the accent on the wrong vowel before ), and the meaning is... mmhhh, you know, like "sabor!!"... huh, how would you say that in English?!

And yes, I watched the video. Very nice indeed. Thanks!
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.

jandros said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    ... like "sabor!!"... in English?!
    Part of the english translation of Spanish sabor?......

noun: taste, savor, flavor.
    verb: to taste, to enjoy the taste
    ... with a touch of "hijole!" or something like that? ... I hope that's not a bad word!!!

English verb savor, from Latin sapor/sapere: to derive or receive pleasure from [anything]; to get enjoyment from [something].

Very nice (sweet) related words!

citlalli said:

haha... thnx for trying! I knew those translations of "sabor", but I meant more like when they say it in some songs, although I think it really has no equivalent.

And don't worry, "hijole" is not a bad word, just very colloquial mexican slang

jandros said:

esta bien, and my effort at translation was only a start, so that maybe you could expand on that. But I think I understand what you mean. I'm sure that I can feel it, at least

Sometimes I worry about individual words, and especially colloquials that I can't find in any dictionary. So I'm not even sure about spelling sometimes. I hear words in conversation, but it can be hard to determine if they're polite words

Anyway, thanks again! You solved a 2-year-old mystery for me!