Portuguese to English Mariza's songs (fado)

Thread: Portuguese to English Mariza's songs (fado)

Tags: None
  1. lissber said:

Although I'm still a little confused with Feira De Castro and the Toupe bit. I keep thinking how embarassing it would be if you were dancing with a man and his hair fell off. haha. If I read between the lines I'm thinking that she's saying that she's been deceived by this man, he was pretending to be someone he's not and that he broke her heart.

lol, yes I think you are right, it's a metaphor, but... I belive that can realy happen in this fair. Feira de Castro is a very very old fair, that still goes on, in October, in a rural town, named Castro Verde, Alentejo, south Portugal. It's was and still is very important. The sellers have their tents on the streets, and there you can find incredible things.
    here http://pulanito.blogspot.com/2006/10...-retratos.html you can see some pictures. It's very funny and very portuguese also.

regards, MJ

AndaribnMuzibek said:

lissber, muito obrigado for the translation of "Lisboa, menina e moça". It was a BIG help in my studies. V-e-ery beautiful song!

3. lissber said:

AndaribnMuzibek thank you

I'm glad it was of some help. If you need or if you are curious about any other song just ask.

boa sorte com o português!

4. raknol22 said:

Default Ha uma musica do povo

Quote Originally Posted by lissber View Post
    AndaribnMuzibek thank you

I'm glad it was of some help. If you need or if you are curious about any other song just ask.

boa sorte com o português!
    HI
    Thanks for translating, I also love Mariza. Could you perhaps translate her most beautiful song?
    HA UMA MUSICA DO POVO
    Thanks, Rudi from the netherlands

5. moorish84 said:

Default I'm searching for a portuguese love song!

Hi everyone, so i read through this thread, was completely amazed at how awesome it is and thought that this is most likely the best place for my answer!

I play the guitar and will soon be proposing to my wonderful girlfriend (mid june) who just so happens to be portuguese :-) I would like to do something really special and learn the lyrics to a portuguese love song but i'm unsure as to where i should even begin. I'm looking for something that is a fado type genre but something that is just completely romantic and in no uncertain terms spells out: "I love you!"

Please help :-) It will be an acoustic guitar, (not portuguese) that i will be using.

Thank you
    John

algebra said:

I also love Mariza. Her songs are wonderful. Congratulations lissber I wonder if you could tell me more about Portuguese Music, in particular fado, I just know few artists
    O coração da gente chega lateja
    A gente só deseja passar bem
    Com você meu bem
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém

7. bpizarro said:

Quote Originally Posted by moorish84 View Post
    Hi everyone, so i read through this thread, was completely amazed at how awesome it is and thought that this is most likely the best place for my answer!

I play the guitar and will soon be proposing to my wonderful girlfriend (mid june) who just so happens to be portuguese :-) I would like to do something really special and learn the lyrics to a portuguese love song but i'm unsure as to where i should even begin. I'm looking for something that is a fado type genre but something that is just completely romantic and in no uncertain terms spells out: "I love you!"

Please help :-) It will be an acoustic guitar, (not portuguese) that i will be using.

Thank you
    John
    Hello Joh, what there are lots of fao songs!! most of them talk about Lisbon, destiny, fate, sadness, bullfights... but love.. maybe you could tell her a Luis de Camões poem.. he is like the best portuguese poet and he was the best declaring love for another woman!

8. bpizarro said:

Quote Originally Posted by algebra View Post
    I also love Mariza. Her songs are wonderful. Congratulations lissber I wonder if you could tell me more about Portuguese Music, in particular fado, I just know few artists
    hello Algebra. The most known portuguese fado singer was Amália Rodrigues. She was like a national symbol. Now Mariza is like the new Amália and she is very good indeed. We also have other fado singers like Dulce Pontes, Carlos do Carmo, Camané, Mico da Câmara Pereira. And there is a new fado revival by various portuguese artists wich is called Amália Hoje. Here is the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgQeJ6BqRLI it is a new version of the Amália song Gaivota. I hope you enjoy it

algebra said:

Thank you very much for the tips, bpizarro. I'll look up for all of them. I'm so proud of our language and go mad for such beautiful things we can say. In particular, lyrics in lusitan portuguese brings to my mind not commom but beautiful unknown words and thoughts and I usually always have pleasing surprises when listening songs from Portugual. Thanks again from Brazil.
    Com você meu bem
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém

10. eliza12 said:

Default Hey Lissber

Don't know whether you're around but wanted you to know that I went up to visit my Brother In Law last month. 1st time I've seen him in 20 years. He's the 1 you did the translations for and he's still talking about it, Thinks this whole computer thing and you are amazing. So thought I might buy him a computer and he could eventually learn how to find out this information himself. Oops!!!! Watched him try to take a photo with a digital camera and realised him getting his head around a computer is a long way off. Twas very funny.

11. zanetka24 said:

Default Mariza RETRATO-translate it, please!!!

Hi!
    Is there any chance anyone could give a try and translate one of my favourite songs of Mariza - RETRATO. I cannot find it even in Portuguese :-(
    I love that song....this music is so expressive-I wanna know so badly what she is singing about)))

Thanks in advance
    Hugs, Zanet

algebra said:

Retrato
    Picture

No teu rosto começa a madrugada.
    The early morning borns in your face,
    Luz abrindo
    As light that sprouts
    De rosa em rosa,
    From rose to rose.
    Transparente e molhada.
    So transparent and humid

Melodia
    Melody,...
    Distante mas segura;
    Distant but absolute,...
    Irrompendo da terra,
    Erupting from the ground
    Quente, redonda, madura.
    vehemently, whole and matured

Mar imenso,
    Immense sea
    Praia deserta, horizontal e calma.
    Loneseome beach, yonder and calm
    Sabor agreste.
    Wild taste
    Rosto da minha alma.
    Face for my soul
    Com você meu bem
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém

algebra said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7X6bP7aiTI&

Há uma música do povo,
    There is a music of the people

Há uma música do povo,
    There is a music of the people
    Nem sei dizer se é um fado
    I even can't say if it is a fado
    Que ouvindo-a há um ritmo novo
    One that, when I listen to, a new rythm sprouts
    No ser que tenho guardado...
    From the being, I have kept in me
    Ouvindo-a sou quem seria
    One that, when I listen to, I am who I would be
    Se desejar fosse ser...
    if, at least, the wish could make real...
    É uma simples melodia
    It is a simple melody
    Das que se aprendem a viver...
    Like those, we learn to live

Mas é tão consoladora
    But it is so consoling,...
    A vaga e triste canção ...
    this vague sad song,...
    Que a minha alma já não chora
    That my soul no more cries
    Nem eu tenho coração ...
    nor I have a heart anymore
    Sou uma emoção estrangeira,
    I am a strange emotion
    Um erro de sonho ido...
    The err of a gone dream
    Canto de qualquer maneira
    I sing it careless
    E acabo com um sentido!
    and destroy a sense on it
    Last edited by algebra; 11-14-2009 at 08:31 AM.
    Com você meu bem
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém

algebra said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMWIr2YP6Pc

Recusa
    Refuse

If to be a fadista is to be the moon
    To lose the sunlight out of the sight
    To be a statue that insinuates itself
    Then I am not a fadista

If to be a fadista is to be sad
    To be expected tears
    And if fado exists in name of the sorrow
    Then I am not a fadista

If to be a fadista are, at the bottom
    Mocking words
    Wandering from mouth to mouth in this world
    Then I am not a fadista

But if it is to go in conquer of
    So many ignored verses
    Then I am not a fadista
    I am the fado in person
    Last edited by algebra; 12-03-2009 at 12:13 AM.
    Com você meu bem
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém

15. nina1000 said:

Default Thanks

To those who supplied translations -Thank you!

The passion of Mariza requires no language translation, but as a singer myself, I like to see both the Portuguese words represented accurately so that I can follow along, as well as the English which gives me just a little glimpse into the culture that produced this wonderful singer & her songs.

Obrigado (hope that's used correctly - it is offered with the greatest respect).

algebra said:

Oh sweetie, you're welcome, as for me it was a pleasure. Mariza is a wonderful singer and I love all her songs. You can visit Mariza's official, there you'll find all her songs translated to English, just select English as target language.

http://www.mariza.com/

And... excuse me, but women always say "obrigada"
    Com você meu bem
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém
    No xenhenhém