4 Stari makedonski pesni - translation to English or Russian

Thread: 4 Stari makedonski pesni - translation to English or Russian

Tags: None

Alla Alcenko said:

Default 4 Stari makedonski pesni - translation to English or Russian

Please translate these Macedonian folk songs to English or Russian. Thank you.

_

"Biljana platno bele{e"

Биљана платно белеше
    на охридските извори,
    оздола идат винари,
    винари белограђани.
    Винари белограђани
    кротко терајте карванот,
    да не ми платно згазите,
    платното ми е даровно!
    Биљано, момe убавo,
    ако ти платно згазиме,
    со вино ће го платиме,
    и бела лута ракија.
    Јаc не ви сакам виното,
    тук ви го сакам момчето,
    што напред тера карванот,
    и капче носи над око.

__

"Aj zajdi zajdi jasno sonce"

Aj zajdi zajdi more jasno sonce,
    mene mi zdodeja ova pusta `etva.
    Nad glava mi stojat do tri spahii
    I oni mi velat ajde brgu `nejte.

Prvi ni veli ajde brgu `nejte,
    A vtori mi veli nisko da `nejme,
    A treti mi veli klasja zbirajte.

A mene mi pla~e moeto ma{ko dete
    Jas ne mo`am didam da go previjam,
    Da ne go previjam da ne go najadam.

__

"Bog da bie koj prv poсna"

Bog da bie ,koj
    prv pocna,
    Koj prv pocnada
    mi odi na pecalba,
    Na pecalba ,milo
    libe-Amerika.
    Tri godini ,bez
    rabota,
    Bez rabota ,milo
    libe ,em ,bez pari.
    Parahodot vese pristigna,
    Pari nemam ,milo
    libe da se kacam.
    Ako sakas da si
    dojdam,
    Prodaj si go ,milo
    libe ,|erdanceto.
    Ako ne stasa |erdanceto,
    Prodaj si go eleceto.
    Pracaj pari milo
    libe ,da si dojdam.

__

"Ogrejala mese~ina"

Ogrejala mese~ina lele
    ogrejala mese~ina,
    od Soluna do Tetovo. 2h
    Ne mi bila mese~ina lele 2h
    tuk mi bile tri neveste
    tri nejeste Setov~anke.

Prvo teglat za Tetovo lele
    prvo teglat za Tetovo,
    kaj bakalot ~i~o Koqo. 2h
    Dobro utro ~i~i Koqo more
    dobro utro ~i~i Koqo,
    dal bog dobro tri nejeste
    tri nejeste Setov~anke.

Da mi dade{ dram belilo lele
    da mi dade{ gram belilo,
    dram belilo dram crvilo 2h
    Na{i ma`i gurbet~ie lele
    na{i ma`i gurbet~ie
    kaj }e dojdat }e ti platat.

Lydia_the angel said:

Default Biljana platno beleshe- Biljana was whitening the linen

The first one for now If no one translates the rest I hope I will do that one by one with time

Biljana was whitening the linen
    on the Ohrid streams
    The vintners were coming from below
    vintners from Belgrade (Belgrade citizens)

"Vintners from Belgrade (Belgrade citizens)
    gently drive the caravan
    so not to step down my linen
    the linen is given as a gift (to me)"

"Biljano - you beautiful girl
    if we step down your linen
    we will pay it with wine
    and white sharp brandy as well"

"Vintners from Belgrade (Belgrade citizens)
    I don't like your wine
    but I like your boy
    that leads the caravan
    and that wears fez under his eye
    that wears fez under his eye
    and looks at me secretly"

"Biljano- you beautiful girl
    our boy is engaged
    we take the wine for him
    we will marry him on Sunday"

"Let the water carry him away
    and bring him to me
    Let him be bitten by a snake
    with my bottom teeth"

*Since the lyrics weren't complete of the first song, you can check for them and for the song as well, here at this link:

http://pesna.blogspot.com/2006/01/bl...104412382.html

I'm from Ohrid, so this song is like an anthem for my region
    The icon lamp has brighten the sky
    white aureole are knitting the angels for you
    your star extinguished, as soon as I found you, you left
    ***TOŠE FOREVER IN OUR HEARTS***

Alla Alcenko said:

Thanks a lot, Lydia_the angel!
    Thanks for the translation and for the link.
    Благодарение!

The song about Biljana is very beautiful! I guess if it like an anthem for Ohrid, Ohrid is a great place

I like Makedonian music very much, especially folk music. I listen music band Synthesis And I understand some songs without translation because my native language is Russian. But when I don't understand the song, even the dictionary cant help me So you are a great help!
    Last edited by Alla Alcenko; 08-03-2008 at 06:18 AM.

Lydia_the angel said:

Arrow Aj, zajdi zajdi jasno sonce- Bright sun, come on, set down

You are welcome dear I'm glad to be of some help:-) and it's always a pleasure for me when people are looking for Macedonian songs, specially the unique folk ones:-)
    And yes, Ohrid is a wonderful place, I'm really happy to be born here and I wouldn't change it for nothing in the world.
    Ohrid is our Macedonian pearl and my own paradise

Synthesis are really great band, they have amazing music and wonderful vocals as well:-) I must say you have great taste
    As a gift from me, here goes the second one

Bright sun, come on, set down
    I'm bored from this damned crop
    Under my head three spahi are standing
    and they are saying to me- "come on crop faster"

The first one is saying to us-"come on crop faster"
    the second one is saying to us to crop low
    the third one is saying to us to pick up the spikes

And my little male child is crying
    and I can't come and bandage him
    not to bandage him, not to feed him

Alla Alcenko said:

O, thanks for one more translation!
    And for the comliments about my taste
    It's a pleasure to listen to Macedonian language in songs, because for me the Slavic languages are the best and the most beautiful!!!
    I don't know why, but Macedonian language is more clear for Russian person than Ukrainian or Belorussian.
    The moral values of Macedonian songs are very similar for me. The choice between Death and Freedom (like in И ние сме деца на Македонија ), the easy relation to death in Ако умрам ил загинам, songs about love - are close for the russian character, so it is a great pleasure to listen to it.
    I was surprised by the song Oj девоjче. It reminds the Russian song "Along the street".

I thouhgt песня "Ой зайди, зайди, ясно сонце" has many old features. And I was convinced of it after your translation. I study old Slavic charms (or exorcizms, I don't know how to say), so I see some features of traditional Slavic charm in this song.

Please tell me how to translate море. (For example, in море момче). I guess that момче is the reserence to the boy (момчак), but I don't umderstand what is море.

Lydia_the angel said:

Arrow Bog da bie- Let God curse

I must say I agree with everything you said:-) and I like the fact
    that you enjoy in Macedonian music and that you also like the language
    I think you are right that our languages overall are the best
    And I'm also impressed by the great analysis and the explanation you have given about realizing the message that each song has within itself. Well done

Regrading the word "море" in the other folk songs I have already translated here I couldn't find suitable word for its translation, since it is like an
    exclamation, when you are calling someone, and its also used in every day talking, can be used with every word almost, but with no special meaning really. So it can have different meanings depending of the feelings and the situation. Anyway you should separate this word used in such occasions from its homonym "море" which means "sea"

For tonight I send you the third one:-)

Let God curse who started
    who started, my dear leman to go
    for work in a foreign country, my dear leman, in America

Three years with no job
    with no job my dear leman, and no money as well

The steamboat has already arrived
    I have no money to go up on its board my dear leman

If you want me to come home
    sell your necklace my dear leman

If the necklace in not enough
    sell your jacket my dear leman
    Send me money my dear leman to come back home

The title of the song is like a cursing, so I translated that way, it is not its literal translation, literally would mean Let God batter:-)

Alla Alcenko said:

Thank you again, Lydia_the angel!

I guessed that море is an uniq word In Russian море has only one meaning - the sea

Despite the fact that I don't study Macedonian especially, I'm doing some successes in the understanding Macedonian I think I understand something in the last song, but not all the sense. The song is about that some month has come in the territory from Solun to Tetovo. What is the month (огрејала), I don't understand, may be some hot month. But there were 3 brides. Сетолчанке is the name of their origin. The first bride came to Tetovo. There is Кољо in Tetovo . May be he is the groom. So the first bride says to him: "Good morning, Кољо. The God have given you 3 brides". We will give the powder and mascara. Then I don't understand мажи гурбетчие. After that in the song these мажи would cry as soon as they arrive (or come).
    So if I am not mistaken in the part of the translation, please say me the meaning only of that words that I can't understand

Lydia_the angel said:

Arrow Ogrejala mesecina- The moon had shone on

At any time I must say nice try I'm glad that you are improving your
    Macedonian!:-) I was about to translate the last song as I promised so I did it now
    I'm happy to see you are trying to understand the meaning by yourself and yes you were right about some things, but about the rest in which you weren't sure or you guessed you can check in the song I just translated for you
    As a start I will point out the things of which you had different opinion about their meanings:-)
    So, mesecina is moon, Koljo is the grocer, he greets them with a blessing from God, they ask bleach and blusher from him and when their husbands which have gone to earn money in foreign country (this gurbetcija is an old word:-) will pay to him after they return at their homes:- So, here it goes:-P

The moon had shone on

The moon had shone on, oh my
    the moon had shone on
    from Solun* 'til Tetovo
    It wasn't the moon, oh my
    but three brides
    three brides from Setolcani**

They firstly go for Tetovo, oh my
    the firstly go for Tetovo
    at the grocer uncle Koljo
    "Good morning uncle Koljo
    Good morning uncle Koljo
    let God bring you good, you three brides
    three brides from Setolcani

"You to give me gram of bleach
    gram of bleach, gram of blusher
    our husbands earners, oh my
    our husbands earners
    when will come will pay to you"

*Solun- city of Ancient Macedonia, today named as Thessaloniki
    ** Setolcani is village in Macedonia near the city Tetovo

Alla Alcenko said:

Ha-ha, how ridiculous is my translation my translational is a bright explamle of the fact that the similarity of slavic languages can not help to understand the sense of the songs! It helps to understand only some separate sentences or words
    Thank you again!
    So I understand that невеста here means the young wife. But I must ask, may невеста mean the girl which is going to marry?

Lydia_the angel said:

Well you tried at least and no worries, that's the important thing, without trying you wouldn't know Btw you are welcome again
    Regarding your question, I must say that the word "невеста" can be used in those both situations, as a young wife others call her that way and as well on the wedding there are "'невеста"-bride and "зет"- groom

Take care, xxx

Alla Alcenko said:

Ok, I understood, невеста has the same meaning, as bride in English
    Невеста is a very interesting ancient slavic word. What is more, this word becomes even more interesting because it is connected with wedding - a very important event for practically every woman. That's why I have read some versions about the origin of this word. But all this versions are hypotetical and have no strong arguments. It is stated in versions that невеста has occured from вест* (well-known) + не (not); or has occured from the word "new". May be you know another version?

Lydia_the angel said:

I totally agree with your point of view regarding this word I haven't heard much about its origin but the word "вест" here means "news"
    I was also curious and willing to help you, so I browsed on the net and found an article in Macedonian about this issue so I translated it for you

The word "невеста" has an old Slavonic root. In the old Slavonic language
    the verb "вести" in infinitive means "knows". Therefor the word "невеста" literally means "unknown" or descriptively "the one that is not yet known in the family", hence "new one" in the family. Hope it's more clear now

Have fun, xxx

Alla Alcenko said:

Oh, thank you. One more opinion to support the hypothesis about невеста=unknown.

Lydia_the angel said:

You are welcome, I'm glad it helped you somehow Feel free to ask me whatever you need next time

Stay well, xxx

Alla Alcenko said:

Ok, thank you! I guess some questions about Macedonian music would periodically arrise

16. Voiou said:

Alla,
    you were wondering about the word ' More ' . Of course in Slavic 'more' means sea , the ' more ' used in this case is a borrowing from the Greek (possibly Turkish ) language. It doenst have much meaning, more of an expression , it will be used before calling someones name usually.
    Another word is Mori , this is femenin.
    If you understand Russian , whatever words you dont understand are either borrowings from Greek, Turkish or Old Bulgar words, for example Obicham instead of Ljubam).

Another example is the song 'ne si go prodavaj koljo chiflikot'
    chiflik is the Turkish word for 'estate or agricultural plot'

* Solun the ancient name of city of Macedonia LOL
    Alla , ni slushaj eti loudi ochin duraki .
    The ancient name of the city was Thessaloniki , it was Alexanders half sister
    it means ' Victory of the Thessalonians' Thessalo = Thessaly Niki = victory in Greek. Solun is what Slavs, Bulgarians/Serbs/Makedonskis call the city.

Lydia_the angel said:

Actually we don't have many Greek words in our language, more are Turkish and we also don't have many Bulgarian which means the phrase you used "obicham" we never say. It is original Bulgarian and only used there. We use "ljubam"(as for loving someone) but more modern is to say "sakam" (for loving someone or when you want something) All of the Slavic languages are somewhat similar with each other, but never the same. They belong to same group of languages so this is a normal thing the words to have some similar roots. Turkish words are mainly used in old Macedonian folk songs. About the other things I reply with LOL as well and no more comments are needed

Greetings, xxx

18. Voiou said:

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia_the angel View Post
    Actually we don't have many Greek words in our language, more are Turkish and we also don't have many Bulgarian which means the phrase you used "obicham" we never say. It is original Bulgarian and only used there. We use "ljubam"(as for loving someone) but more modern is to say "sakam" (for loving someone or when you want something) All of the Slavic languages are somewhat similar with each other, but never the same. They belong to same group of languages so this is a normal thing the words to have some similar roots. Turkish words are mainly used in old Macedonian folk songs. About the other things I reply with LOL as well and no more comments are needed

Greetings, xxx
    Greetings,
    I will give you some more common examples then, which i know are used more often. Kuche for dog , instead of the slavic Pes . Magare for donkey instead of Assiol , Bate for brother. These are all original Bulgar words that still survive today. As for Greek words , depending on the region some will say daskal instead of uchitel , and zograf (to draw). I have even heard OPA during dances
    :0

Lydia_the angel said:

Well, as far as I know, the word "kuche" is actually non Slavic word with indeterminate origin (by some researchers). Still it depends what kind of literature you are using. This "assiol" I really don't know what it means, I hear it for the first time and "bate" might be used as a diminutive for brother, for which we use "brat" actually. Daskal comes from "daskalos" ,correct, but we don't use it nowadays, as we have our word for it About exclamations I don't think they belong to some certain language, as they are almost same everywhere and might be used in different occasions by people all over the world.
    Nonetheless, every language has its own dictionary which contains its original words and borrowed international ones. This goes for every language, as there's no pure one;-) Anyway, thanks for your reply:-)

Take care, xxx

Alla Alcenko said:

Voiou, thank you for interesting facts!