Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Thread: Miscellaneous (not lyrics) Spanish <-> English Translations

Tags: None

Zahra2008 said:

Quote Originally Posted by istanbulgal View Post
    They are commentaries Zahra, not lyrics.
    really? ... oppsss my bad!!
    the first love is gone ... am waiting for the last one!!

istanbulgal said:

Part 4

El ruego del enamorado hacia la Muerte, pidiéndole un día más de vida, expresa su ansia de vivir su amor, y la angustia de eludir su destino. De alguna manera, el amor obtiene una cierta consideración; la Muerte no le concede el día pedido, pero sí una hora, lo que pauta la continuidad del poema al implantar un elemento de urgencia, angustia y frustración.

The lover's death prayer, asking (death) one more day of life, expresses his desire to live his love and the agony of escaping his fate. Somehow, love gets some consideration, death is not granted upon request, but an hour is, which pauses the continuity of the poem to introduce an element of urgency, anxiety and frustration.

El segundo período - los 17 versos siguientes - tiene una conformación descriptiva de hechos que pudiendo ser totalmente reales y aparecer por tanto como una oposición al ambiente irreal, de sueño, del período anterior; igualmente podría ser una mera continuación de éste.

The second section - the 17 verses that follow - have a descriptive narrative of events, possibly being completely real and therefore appearing as a contrast to the unreal atmosphere of dreams in the previous section; similarly, it could have been a mere continuation/extension of it.

Hay también un primer tramo en que se produce un relato, pero ahora ya no en boca del enamorado sino de un observador externo, que describe las acciones del enamorado al vestirse, calzarse y salir apresuradamente para dirigirse a la casa de su amada. Existe una certera forma de expresar en forma breve una serie de actividades cuya enunciación es en cierto modo excesivamente detallista al mencionar por separado que se coloca ropa y calzado, pero al mismo tiempo marcando la forma apresurada mediante una referencia inicial a la prisa luego reiterada pero incrementada.

There is also a first section, in which a recount takes place, but no longer from the lips of the lover himself, but from an external observer, who describes the actions of the enamoured person while he is putting on his clothes, shoes and rushing off to go to his beloved's place. There is a certain way to express a series of events in brief manner, an enunciation of sorts, that is somewhat too detailed while separately mentioning that he puts on the clothes and shoes, but at the same time, noting through an initial reference, the hasty manner, reiterated, but at interval levels.

De inmediato, sin una referencia expresa al cambio de lugar, existe un traslado de escenario, desde el cuarto del enamorado al exterior de la casa de su amada; lo que marca una forma sumamente eficaz de abreviar el relato así como de suscitar un mayor estado de suspenso. Esto se trasunta en que ella inicia el diálogo con el enamorado, respondiendo a una petición de permitirle entrar, que también está elíptica. La amada, ignorante del motivo determinante de la presencia del enamorado, opone argumentos impidientes para acceder a recibirlo; que a la vez importan explicitar el carácter subrepticio de su encuentro amoroso al no haber salido su padre ni estar su madre dormida.

Suddenly, without an exact reference to a change in location, there is a shift in scene from the lover's room to the outside of the beloved's home, which makes it a highly effective way to shorten the story, as though to build greater suspense. This leads to her initiating a dialogue with him and giving him permission to enter & that it's also elliptic. The beloved, oblivious to the reason of his presence, opposes clouded arguments in order to excuse his entry, which explains the surreptitious/concealed nature of the amorous encounter by not having had the father come out and the mother not having been asleep.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein

bedroomeyes said:

La urgencia del enamorado, trasuntada en la forma verbal imperativa de sus expresiones, se acentúa con la sugerencia de que si lograra llegar junto a su amada, la Muerte no lograría alcanzarlo: “junto a tí, vida sería”, dice, y ello evoca el estado espiritual del enamorado que, lejos de su amada, se siente morir.

The urgency of the one in love, transcribed in the verbal imperative form of his expressions, stresses the implication that if he should make it to his lover's side, Death wouldn't be able to reach him: "next to you, life would be", he says, and that evokes the spiritual state of the one in love who, away from his lover, feels as if he's dying.

Cuando la amada, comprendida la razón de la presencia y urgencia del enamorado, accede a recibirlo, manifiesta su aceptación al indicarle que tenderá un cordel de seda; pero agrega que si fuera necesario añadiría sus trenzas, actitud que en el contexto cultural medieval bien puede tomarse como simbolizando que le ofrece su virginidad.

When the beloved, understanding the reason for the presence and the urgency of the one in love, agrees to see him, she manifests her acceptance by giving him the indication that she will lower down a satin cord; but she goes on to say that if necessary she would add her braids, an attitude which in the medieval cultural context can be taken as symbolizing her offering her virginity.

En el tercer período, conformado por los cuatro últimos versos, se suscita un adicional elemento de ambigüedad, así como se logra un efecto de desenlace expuesto en términos fulminantes, mucho más breves que todo el desarrollo anterior.

In the third period which is shaped by the the last four verses, an additional element of ambiguity is raised; also achieved is the effect of an ending exposed in fulminating terms, much more brief than all of the previous development.

Puede interpretarse, llegado el momento final, que el romance expresa una situación poeticamente trágica, sea que toda ella esté conformada por un sueño o que solamente haya ocurrido un sueño que provocó la visita del poeta a su amada pero sin que hubiera logrado hacerlo a tiempo para llegar junto a ella, y en el último instante, con la misma instantaneidad que tiene el morir, fuera alcanzado por un destino que privó tanto al enamorado como a su amada, de realizar su amor. En ese caso, todo sería meramente imaginativo, simbólico.

One could interpret, come the final moment, that the romance expresses a poetically tragic situation, whether it is all shaped by a dream or only that a dream may have occurred leading the poet to visit his beloved but without his doing it in time to be with her, and at the last moment, with the same instantaneity in which one dies, he was reached by a fate that deprived the one in love as well as his beloved of making their love a reality. In this case, everything would be merely imaginative, symbolic.

Puede entenderse, en otra interpretación, en cambio, que el enamorado en realidad nunca estuvo soñando, sino que imaginó una excusa de ser perseguido por la Muerte para lograr acceso a la habitación de su amada; pero quiso su mala suerte que su excusa se transformara en realidad al romperse el cordel y caer al suelo; con lo cual, en vez de constituir una expresión poeticamente sublimada, en realidad el romance tendría hasta un contenido jocoso.

It may also be understood, in another interpretation, on the other hand, that the one in love was really not dreaming at all, but that he came up with the excuse of being pursued by Death in order to gain access to his beloved's room; but his bad luck wanted his excuse to transform into reality when the cord breaks and falls to the ground; with which, instead of constituting a poetically sublime expression, the romance would actually have an element of jocularity.

De todos modos, este tramo final también está conformado por un relato objetivo, otra vez en boca de un observador externo; y un discurso directo, en el cual solamente habla la Muerte. La fragilidad de la vida aparece entonces simbolizada por un cordel de seda, que se rompe. En los últimos versos, la reaparición de la Muerte expone la inexorabilidad del destino del hombre.

At any rate, this final section is also shaped by an objective story, again from the lips of an outside observer; and a direct discourse, in which only Death speaks. The fragility of life then appears symbolized by a satin cord that breaks. In the last verses, the reappearance of Death exposes the inexorability of the fate of man.
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    -Albert Einstein
  4. MaresLejanos said:

Istanbulgal, Bedroomeyes:

You ladies have done a great job with the translation. I've just read that trying to see if I'm able to translate this, but I've just realized that my English isn't enough to such a work. Even when it's much much better (as a practice) than translate simple songs.

This is the Spanish I love, well spoken and especially well written, but I can't translate most of the word there to English. So, once more: Congratulations ladies, you've done a hard and wonderful work!!!!

bedroomeyes said:

Most of the credit should go to Istanbulgal for doing most of it but thanks all the same for your kind words Mares! You're sweet. I only hope I did the commentary justice.
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    -Albert Einstein

istanbulgal said:

Mares: Thank you so much for taking the time to write these very meaningful lines. You're the first person that has ever taken the time to thank me in more than just 2 words for the translation work that I do here and especially for work done for somebody else, and I might add you always take the time to recognize me and others at every opportunity you have, don't think your gesture has gone unnoticed; you're simply a class act Lady M.!

Also, I would like to say that you should not feel incompetent in the least; your English has improved tremendously since I first met you & you should feel proud of your accomplishments and btw, your lyrics translations are great, you know well when to apply literal translation and when not!

Bedroomeyes: You're always doing the most difficult translations, you most definitely did those commentaries justice, lol, great job indeed.

Last edited by istanbulgal; 10-11-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.
    Albert Einstein
  7. dmoney101 said:

wow, you guys did really good on those translations. i didn't think anybody would do them since there was so much
  8. Angelbuns said:

Me either, and when I read through them I was really impressed. That's a lot of personal time to devote to the cause.

AnnaFoster said:

Default A few little translations

Can someone help me find the best translation/words for the following in quotes?

"Sorry about last night, I was a little tipsy." (drunk)

I'm trying to soften 'drunk'. And I don't know any other words than borracha. Can I perhaps make it a diminutive? Borrachita? Borrachasita?

Or maybe

Sorry about last night, I was a little 'parrandista' ? fiestera?
    Any way to make them diminutives to note the 'little' ? Anything to take the edge off.

Or is there a whole other word that'll work for tipsy? I'm up for any suggestions!

--------

"I will always put up a good fight."
    The context of this is playful. My friend and I had a bet going and when I said I didn't like to lose he said "pues conmigo te tienes que acostumbar." Which I think says 'well with me, you have to get used to it' (is that correct?) jaja, a very fiesty response which I love!

"You beat me." Me gañaste?

"It was a very close bet, but you beat me."

Thanks everyone for helping me navigate this!
  10. MaresLejanos said:

"Sorry about last night, I was a little tipsy." (drunk)

I'm trying to soften 'drunk'. And I don't know any other words than borracha. Can I perhaps make it a diminutive? Borrachita? Borrachasita*? (*it doesn't exists )

Lo siento por lo de anoche. Estaba un poquito borracha
    Lo siento por lo de anoche. Estaba borrachita

Or maybe

Any way to make them diminutives to note the 'little' ? Anything to take the edge off.
    Those aren't pretty good, in my country those words aren't used in the sense you want to.

Or is there a whole other word that'll work for tipsy? I'm up for any suggestions!

You could say too
    Lo siento por lo de anoche, había tomado un poco.
    Lo siento por lo de anoche, estaba un poco mareada.

--------

"I will always put up a good fight." Siempre doy una buena pelea
    The context of this is playful. My friend and I had a bet going and when I said I didn't like to lose he said "pues conmigo te tienes que acostumbar." Which I think says 'well with me, you have to get used to it' (is that correct?) jaja, a very fiesty response which I love!

"You beat me." Me gañaste? Me ganaste / Me venciste

"It was a very close bet, but you beat me." La apuesta estuvo muy cerca, pero tú me ganaste/venciste

Thanks everyone for helping me navigate this!

AnnaFoster said:

Those aren't pretty good, in my country those words aren't used in the sense you want to.

[B]You could say too
    Lo siento por lo de anoche, había tomado un poco.
    Lo siento por lo de anoche, estaba un poco mareada.

He's from Mexico so I was trying to find words he'd know.

Thank you for the super fast and well organized response!

citlalli said:

Hola chicas

Well, a colloquial expression for being tipsy would be "estar/andar un poquito/medio pasado (a)":

-Estaba/andaba medio pasado/a (de copas) y perdi la noción... or
    -Se me pasaron (un poco) las copas y perdi la noción.

That's how we would say it in Mexico City, although I don't know if it's understood in all of Mexico (I think so, but I'm not 100% sure).
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.
  13. MaresLejanos said:

Quote Originally Posted by citlalli View Post
    Hola chicas

Well, a colloquial expression for being tipsy would be "estar/andar un poquito/medio pasado (a)":

That's how we would say it in Mexico City, although I don't know if it's understood in all of Mexico (I think so, but I'm not 100% sure).
    Ohhh!

We use that expresión as well:

un poco/poquito pasado/a de copas/tragos I almost forgot this too

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by MaresLejanos View Post
    Ohhh!

We use that expresión as well:

un poco/poquito pasado/a de copas/tragos I almost forgot this too
    Really?? wow! it's cool to see we have the same idioms sometimes despite the huge distance between our countries
    “If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” ― Terry Pratchett.
  15. dmoney101 said:

Hola chicas

i would say medio borracho or tomado if i was talkin to a mexican, but the main way i say to get drunk is darse un jumo which i know most mexicans probably don't understand lol

x0babiigirlx0 said:

Smile spanish 2 english plzzzz.....=]

would anyone be able to tell me what these mean in english???

Tus labios y los mios locos x comerse y morderse ???

No tiene la tactica adecuada para arrancarme de tu pecho

K me prequnte como te conkiste, k anote mis trukitos en papel

Cupido me flecho otra vez

thanks so much to anyone that would be able to help me!!
    x3.:EsCaRliN:.x3
  17. MaresLejanos said:

Tus labios y los mios (están) locos por comerse y morderse ???
    Your lips and mine are crazy for eat and bite each other (which means: to kiss each other...)

(Él) No tiene la tactica adecuada para arrancarme de tu pecho
    He "doesn't know"/"doesn't have" the way/tactic to take me off from your heart (chest is the translation of pecho, but it makes more sense heart)

Que me prequnte cómo te conquiste, que anote mis truquitos en papel
    (Tell him) to ask me how I won you, and to write in paper my tricks (to do this) (It's just the idea, I don't know how to say in English "que me")

Cupido me flecho otra vez
    Idea: I'm in love again...

If you know Cupido, he used to shoot arrows to people, and make them in love. In this case, the person is saying that Cupido has shooted an arrows to him, and he's in love again... Or something like that. The main idea: he/she is in love again
    Last edited by MaresLejanos; 10-11-2009 at 05:25 PM.

citlalli said:

Quote Originally Posted by dmoney101 View Post
    i would say medio borracho or tomado if i was talkin to a mexican, but the main way i say to get drunk is darse un jumo which i know most mexicans probably don't understand lol
    Yes, but "borracha" sounds a bit too rough for a gal, as it implies normally u were absolutely plastered, pissed, legless; and we want to say only "tipsy", not plastered ... u see the point? ...btw, that reminded me too I've heard one too many times some people say they were a bit "happy" or "medio happy" to mean "tipsy" (se puso medio happy la semana pasada... )

Yup, you're right, if I heard "jumo" I'd probably think something worse (like smoking pot or taking cocaine for instance)

x0babiigirlx0 said:

thanks MaresLejanos!!!

how would you say i never felt this way about someone before???

i need it into spanish or anyone that is able to help me out with saying that !!
    x3.:EsCaRliN:.x3
  20. MaresLejanos said:

Yes, but "borracha" sounds a bit too rough for a gal, as it implies normally u were absolutely plastered, pissed, legless; and we want to say only "tipsy", not plastered ... u see the point? ...btw, that reminded me too I've heard one too many times some people say they were a bit "happy" or "medio happy" to mean "tipsy" (se puso medio happy la semana pasada... )

Yup, you're right, if I heard "jumo" I'd probably think something worse (like smoking pot or taking cocaine for instance)
    Ohh!

We say it too, medio happy, but completely Spanish, speaking about being tipsy:

Él/ella estaba medio contento/contenta (usando un eufemismo para no decir que había tomado y se reía por cualquier cosa )
    Last edited by MaresLejanos; 10-11-2009 at 02:04 PM.